English 101: Form friendships with young adults overseas

回覆文章
sleep guru
文章: 3
註冊時間: 週五 9月 26, 2008 8:58 pm

English 101: Form friendships with young adults overseas

文章 sleep guru »

Hi guys,

I've been looking at the threads of your forum lately, and decided to register today so I can hopefully get to know some of you on an individual level.

I hope I am not intruding on this forum, as it appears to be for Taiwan members. While I am Taiwanese myself, I unfortunately was not born or raised here, so my Chinese is quite laughable. As laughable as it may be, I managed to make my way through the Chinese characters, register, and get to the "Activities" section to start a new thread.

You guys seem to have a great system going for this club. I'm not trying to steal any members or anything of that sort. I would like to tell you about an English club formed by some of my friends in the States, which I think some of you will enjoy.

One of the characteristics of the club is that it has a "pen pal" sector to it, called "English 101 Club." The English 101 Club has a number of overseas members, who are mostly based in countries outside of Taiwan. The overseas members are young working adults with Native English. Each Taiwan member of the club will be assigned a friend/mentor from overseas to exchange emails (and/or facebook, linkedin, myspace, etc.) with.

What are the benefits of joining this club?
1) You will be able to form a new relationship with a young working adult living overseas. This new relationship can broaden your social scope and your circle of personal and professional contacts.
2) The overseas member will be able to tell you (and vice versa) about social outings, work culture, and life struggles.
3) Your English will become more creative. If you feel like your English is limited, having a mentor/friend overseas with Native English could help your English sound more authentic. You could emulate the writing/speaking style of the overseas members and eventually adopt your own individual style. The following are some quotes from some of the members:
"... I'm copying Em in this email so she can also implore you to come see us!"
"I know that all the dreams I had of our mini vacation were a little far-fetched. And you're right Em- when you said that I
had intended for us to be stranded in the middle of nowhere."
"... please don't show anyone this message... otherwise everyone will think i'm a fraud disguised as a girl..."
"The next thing I know, this huge thing flies down two city blocks and smashes into me at 30 mph."

***Club membership is free***

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I would love to hear your thoughts: registration@english-center-taiwan.com
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Re: English 101: Form friendships with young adults overseas

文章 Georgia »

Shouldn't there be an official website or something?
sleep guru

文章 sleep guru »

Hi Georgia, thanks for your message.

The English 101 club is new and we're currently on domain search for a website. Designing a website costs money and it costs time, and as you can see we're not looking for club membership fees, and all the recruited members work more than full time.

At the moment, feel free to think of it as a place to meet a friend. We have a number of people living in Los Angeles, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore who are interested in developing friendships with other young working adults in Taiwan. A good number of them are also ABCs or Americans interested in the Taiwan culture, who eventually may want to move or travel to Taiwan.

I understand a website is important, and we're on our way to that. Thanks for your patience.

Please let me know if you have further questions, and I'd be glad to address them.
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

young working adult? how young is that supposed to be?
perhaps a half of YOYO's are already kicked out for being not so young anymore... ha

oh and FYI, YOYO is a non-profit organization, too.
Most of our members are busy with their own lives as well; however, there's website, a forum...
I'm sure you guys can manage to set up one, as long as it's taken seriously. :roll:
sleep guru

文章 sleep guru »

Duly noted.

The website is on the way.

Have a great weekend.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Dear Georgia,
What do you mean a half of Yoyos are kicked out for YOUNG adults? You are referring to me and my brothers?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

you're not young.
You're naive~~~

---
good thing I'm not calling you stupid... nope....I take no risks....
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

That's true. :cccry: :( :( :( :cccry: :cccry: :ccry: :cccry: :cccry: :ccry:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

文章 stephen185 »

Rock Sensei,

Believe me, you are far away from being naive, just innocent~

Stephen
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Dear Stephen, you're so kind. Now I feel much better. But, on second thought, innocence doesn't sound like a compliment for a 41-year-old, either. :roll:
Ben
YOYO member
文章: 105
註冊時間: 週二 9月 02, 2003 4:23 pm
來自: ROC
聯繫:

文章 Ben »

Dear Georgia,

The "naive" is a very good word here.

I laughed, haha.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

I hope I am not being too optimistic because so far this already feels like the begining of a very beautiful friendship.

If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake
If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake
Howdya do, howdya do, howdya do?

Had you dropped me a letter, I'd a-hired a band, grandest band in the land
Had you dropped me a letter, I'd a-hired a band
And spread the welcome mat for you

Oh, I don't know where you came from
'cause I don't know where you've been
But it really doesn't matter
Grab a chair and fill your platter
And dig, dig, dig right in

If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake!

If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake

Had you dropped me a letter, I'd a-hired a band, grandest band in the land
Had you dropped me a letter, I'd a-hired a band
Spread the welcome mat for you

Oh, I don't know where you came from
'cause I don't know where you've been
But it really doesn't matter
Grab a chair and fill your platter
And dig, dig, dig right in

If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake!

Howdya do-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章