Kat's "Show & Tell" Potluck

Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: Kat's "Show & Tell" Potluck

文章 Kooper »

Here are some of the words being used in the dancing competition. I'll add a few more once I finished the rest words.
to pull off sth: [informal] to succeed in doing sth difficult
Ex: The central bank has pulled off one of the biggest financial rescue of recent years.
Ex:Can they pull it off? (他們辦得到嗎?) (quoted from the show)

the status quo: the state of a situation as it is; or the way that things usually are (現狀) (It's the name of one of the street dancing teams)
to maintain the status quo: not make any changes (不改變 維持現狀)

breaking: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9C%B0% ... F%E8%88%9E
You can watch a breakdancing competition here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq7SwTJC ... re=related

to blow sb away: to make sb feel very surprised; to impress sb very much (a comment made by one of the judges to one of the teams - something like "You didn't blow me away.")
Ex: The ending will blow you away.

booty dance -> booty:[US Slang] the part of the body that you sit on; bottom

to make or break sb/sth: to cause sb/sth either to be very successful or to fail completely
Ex: Will the new move make them or break them? (quoted from the show)
Ex: This presentation literally could make or break my career. (from one previous meeting article: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2852&p=21842&hilit= ... eer#p21842)

credit where credit's due: an expression which means that you should praise someone who deserves it, although you might dislike some things about them
Ex: I don't especially like the woman but, credit where credit's due, she's very efficient.
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

Re: Kat's "Show & Tell" Potluck

文章 Wayne »

Kooper 寫:
booty dance -> booty:[US Slang] the part of the body that you sit on; bottom
In 1976 (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty became KC & the Sunshine Band's third #1 hit on the Billboard chart. A bootleg record company in Taiwan translated the title into (搖搖搖)搖破你的靴. Even today I still can't help laughing when the song comes up to me.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
回覆文章