Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

[公告] 論壇精華區開張

文章 Kooper »

Dear YOYOs,

I hereby announce the commencement of YOYO BLOG! :sssmile:

The major role of YOYO BLOG is to digest all the previous posts on YOYO forum and output them in a systematic and concise way.
The more posts YOYO BLOG accumulated, the easier it would be for us to look up useful information posted on forum long time ago
and a better chance YOYO would get to be accessed by diligent English learners.

For now, you may access it via: http://blog.pixnet.net/yoyoclub

In the long run, an access link will be added on top of forum and YOYO BLOG as well so that they could be accessed with each other.

Thanks to Georgia, the idea of 論壇精華區 became feasible and finally a physical existence.
To make YOYO BLOG more effective and informative, we will need Georgia's relentless enthusiasm and determination to enrich its contents.
Let's give Georgia a big hand for the good start and for all the effort she is going to make in the near future! :yes:

Kooper
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Re: [公告] 論壇精華區開張

文章 Georgia »

Kooper 寫: Thanks to Georgia, the idea of 論壇精華區 became feasible and finally a physical existence.
To make YOYO BLOG more effective and informative, we will need Georgia's relentless enthusiasm and determination to enrich its contents.
Let's give Georgia a big hand for the good start and for all the effort she is going to make in the near future! :yes:
Thanks to Kooper. :)
If anyone has any great ideas about categorizing posts on the Blog, please feel welcomed to let me know. Also, every post you see on that Blog were typeset and proofread, so they will seem a little different from the originals. I dare not say I'm the professional to correct every single article, but I'm doing the best I can. If you still see any grammar problems or words misspelled, please make me aware of that, too. Many thanks.

By the way, I've read a lot of our articles on meetings topics, and I've found that many people would use terms as "Discussing Questions", "Question Discussion", "Discussion Question", "Question Discussing".... these all have different meaning and are for different use, but I don't think they really fit the meaning we want here. "Questions For Discussion" is an appropriate way to say it, if you guys don't mind... ^___^ ( Just my suggestion..)
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

technobabel 寫:精華 - cream of the crop

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cream+of+the+crop
I think that's more of a slang or something. Maybe we can consider the word "essence" in this condition.

Then again I was thinking, how do we say "珠江三角洲是廣東省的精華區" ? It'd be so weird if we say "The Pearl River Delta is the essence of Kuan-Dong Province" or "The Pearl River Delta is the cream of the crop as it is of the Kuan-Dong Province " ....wouldn't it?
最後由 Georgia 於 週四 2月 28, 2008 10:55 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

so why not "the cream of Kuan-Dong Province"? it seems ok, isn't it?
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

Luis Ko 寫:so why not "the cream of Kuan-Dong Province"? it seems ok, isn't it?
Are you serious, Luis? huh?.... @@
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

The phrase "cream of the crop" does imply quality or to a lesser degree vitality, but not entirely so. I would rather state that "Pearl River Delta is the most dynamic region of Guangdong province." It is misleading to say one region is "better" than the other. That wouldn't be politically correct.

The word "cream" does convey the notion of "best" according to certain dictionary. However does 精華區=Best? or just the most prominent?
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

I agreed that it might not be politically correct to say "Pearl River Deltta is the cream of Guangdong province." I would say "Pearl River Delta is the most prosperous region of Guangdong province."
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Georgia 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:so why not "the cream of Kuan-Dong Province"? it seems ok, isn't it?
Are you serious, Luis? huh?.... @@
Actually, I found that CREAM does not always followed by "OF THE CROP" when it is used to refer to the best people or things from a group. Below are some examples from dictionaries:

1. the cream of Europe's athletes
2. the cream of the world's mountain climbers
3. the cream of this year's graduates
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

technobabel 寫:精華 - cream of the crop

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cream+of+the+crop
A similar expression is "the pick of the bunch" -- the best person or thing in a group. [Macmillan]
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Hi YOYOs,

The link "論壇精華區" has been added on the top of forum.
回覆文章