回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

[公告]The Abolition of Some So-called YOYO Traditions

文章 Kooper »

Dear YOYOs,

I would like to break with some so-called YOYO traditions as of today.

One of them is "new comer feedback before the end of each meeting." Over the past year, I've heard a bunch of feedbacks; some are sincere while others are just white lies. What's common among them is new comers always tout YOYO during feedback, no matter whether they like it or not. And they always say they'll definitely show up again next week even if what's in their mind might be the opposite. The truth is they are kind of under pressure to give compliments or make commitments in front of us. Praise makes us feel good - that's for sure - but does no good to YOYO. What we really need is comments that help us to do better in the future. So, instead of making it a compulsory rule, I would like to make it voluntary from now on.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

Re: The abolition of some so-called YOYO traditions

文章 technobabel »

This rule may seemed strange but I believe it does serve a purpose.
Back in the days when there are endless supply of new-comers,
Yoyo English Club needs to filter out potential members whom aren't comfortable expressing themselves on a moment's notice.
Ideally, every Yoyo member should be able to stand up and say a few words without hesitation.
If you are not comfortable giving feedbacks, perhaps Yoyo isn't right for you, yet.
New-comer feedback discourages less-qualified new comers,
but it may encourage more qualified members to stay.
It is a double-edged sword.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

I totally agree with you guys. The so called "traditions" were based on something important; people are not likely to invent things out of nowhere. However, it is also true that nowadays we don't have that many new comers, and it's not necessary to ask them to take the "feedback" examination to see if they are really good in Englsih.
Kooper is a nice guy, I like his style. Not many people can be that courageous to tell the truth and change a rooted thing. :D
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

yeah, i also very agree to it.
actually, i don't think it's a way to discourage less qualified newcomers, or to judge if they are qualified. my experience is if those newcomers liked the atmosphere here then, no matter their performance when giving feedback they would definitely join. otherwise, they wouldn't, even they spoke English fluently and praised yoyo to high heaven.

i do think it's right for Kooper to have pragmatic approaches to yoyo's affairs.
after all, the club is formed and run by people, the meetings are gathered by people, and different people got different minds. since the people who join the meetings regularly have changed a lot. i think the way to run and handle it should also be somewhat changed, according to the facts and the situations i mean. :ssmile:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

technobabel 寫:This rule may seemed strange but I believe it does serve a purpose.
Back in the days when there are endless supply of new-comers,
Yoyo English Club needs to filter out potential members whom aren't comfortable expressing themselves on a moment's notice.
Ideally, every Yoyo member should be able to stand up and say a few words without hesitation.
If you are not comfortable giving feedbacks, perhaps Yoyo isn't right for you, yet.
New-comer feedback discourages less-qualified new comers,
but it may encourage more qualified members to stay.
It is a double-edged sword.
This rule does more harm than good in particular when there are many new comers in a single meeting. Time allocation during a meeting is like a zero-sum game. The more time "new comer feedback" section gets, the less time "discussion" section gains. I believe most people come because of "discussion" section, not "new comer feedback" section; therefore, it makes no sense to sacrifice "discussion" section for "new comer feedback" section. Moreover, it is not humane to bombard our lovely members repeatedly with consecutive but monotonous compliments. :twisted:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

The other rule I would like to do away with is forcing new comers to deliver summaries for their discussion groups. Similarly, it does more harm than good, especially when there are many new comers. Summaries might be of poor quality due to the fact that new comers are not familiar with it yet. Also, they might be left with the impression that YOYO members are not enthusiastic or studious English learners, or that YOYO does little to help its members' speaking skills since even those senior members dare not deliver a English summary in public.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Good points. Actually, although Happy and Royal also have this rule, they never really force it. Maybe we can save it as a privilege for the rookies, and if they don't like it, then we can enjoy it ourselves. I just think many Yoyos are talkative and always ready to deliver a good speech in public. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章