Vanilla Sky

Vanilla Sky

文章CarmenTao » 週二 12月 23, 2008 8:45 pm

I bought a secondhand DVD of Vanilla Sky last week. This is a Tom Cruise’s movie. I bought it ‘cuz I got the script and would like to learn the way they speak in the movie. Knowing that the move is 7 years old, I simply gave up reading the script but still watched the DVD as planned.

David (Tom Cruise) is a young entrepreneur, inheriting a fortune from his late father. He met Sofia at his birthday party and was totally appealed to her. When the romance is about to begin, he has a car accident and his face is badly disfigured. This is just the first 30% of the whole movie. In the remaining 70% of the movie, he cannot tell which is dream or reality. To tell the truth, neither could I when I watched it. Well, I was very absorbed to the movie in the first place although I watched it with my desktop at home with little special audio or visual effect. However there should have been a final touch to this movie. It ended badly.

By the way, I also bought another DVD called Semi-pro, which seems very vulgar. Well, from the point of English learning, we need to learn REAL English, don't we? :sssmile:

圖檔
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
 
文章: 86
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

Re: Vanilla Sky

文章Gloria Lo » 週三 12月 24, 2008 7:56 am

Recently I also watched DVD: Runaway Bride and A Good Year. Of course, I wanna practice my English listening skill.
I found that Whenever I play the DVDs on TV, it's hard for me to understand the the talking. I cannot catch the first and last sound of almost all words even I turn up the volum. On the contrary, When I try to play them on the notebook, it's much better. Do you have this kind of experience?

By the way, I am not familiar with 羅素克洛''s accent in the movie"A Good Year". Is it an Australian accent? :(
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
 
文章: 264
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Vanilla Sky

文章CarmenTao » 週三 12月 24, 2008 8:36 am

Dear Gloria,
Good questions! Some experiences to share with you. First of all, I retrieve movie scripts from the following Web site:
http://www.joblo.com/moviescripts.php

In addition to that, I try to know the nationalities of the main cast from this Web site:
http://www.imdb.com

Russell Crowe (羅素克洛) is a New Zealander as you can see from the following profile:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/

You can decide which movie for English learning based on all the information available (the availability of movie scripts and the possible accents of the actors).

Recently I just found a good way to concentrate on English listening. Just repeat verbally what you have just heard. You'll focus very much on what you are listening. If I'm waiting for a bus, people will see me wear a headset and murmur in the meantime. I find it useful although I don't get some words. We can expand our vocabulary by reading. This is another story.

Just for your information. Merry Christmas!
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
 
文章: 86
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

Re: Vanilla Sky

文章Gloria Lo » 週四 12月 25, 2008 6:33 am

Dear Carmen,

Thank you for all the information and tips you shared, I like to know how excellent persons like you learn English, it's quite useful. :lol: Rock also gave me the tip about taking notes without Chinese several months ago, it's also great. :o

Speaking of movies, last evening during yoyo meeting, someone talked about Brad Pitt. I am not familiar with movie stars' English names, so I just thought they were talking about some "pig". It's funny! :wink:

Your picture is terrific ! :ssmile:


頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
 
文章: 264
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Vanilla Sky

文章maggiewang » 週四 12月 25, 2008 8:58 am

Yeah~~nice picture!!
大家一起加油吧!
maggiewang
YOYO member
 
文章: 149
註冊時間: 週五 1月 23, 2004 2:59 am


回到 心情寫真

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 2 位訪客