Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: 2008/03/29 悠遊美星 -- Angie Huang

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wayne 寫:FWIW = FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH

English-Chinese edition of MACMILLAN ENGLISH DICTIONARY
(mainly spoken)【主口】 used when you ae telling someone something and you are not sure how useful it is.無論價值如何;不論好壞:For what it's worth, I don't think we can do any more until we get more training. 無論如何,我認為我們在未接受更多訓練之前是再也不能做了.
Oh... gosh... that's not what I meant! Looks like I misused the phrase.

The other day I sat by the table and watched the kids playing. Then something hit my mind: "They have learnt a language really fast... How did that work? What's the mechanism?" I asked myself, "They didn't learn it based on another language. They don't know the grammar, and never check a dictionary! What if I do the same?" Since I keep reading articles from the internet to meet new words and phrases, "If I just throw away my dictionaries and turn off the translation software, will I get it worked?"

The answer is a resounding "NO". How stupid!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

SherryChica 寫:
Wayne 寫:FWIW = FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH

English-Chinese edition of MACMILLAN ENGLISH DICTIONARY
(mainly spoken)【主口】 used when you ae telling someone something and you are not sure how useful it is.無論價值如何;不論好壞:For what it's worth, I don't think we can do any more until we get more training. 無論如何,我認為我們在未接受更多訓練之前是再也不能做了.
Oh... gosh... that's not what I meant! Looks like I misused the phrase.

The other day I sat by the table and watched the kids playing. Then something hit my mind: "They have learnt a language really fast... How did that work? What's the mechanism?" I asked myself, "They didn't learn it based on another language. They don't know the grammar, and never check a dictionary! What if I do the same?" Since I keep reading articles from the internet to meet new words and phrases, "If I just throw away my dictionaries and turn off the translation software, will I get it worked?"

The answer is a resounding "NO". How stupid!
If I were in your shoes, my answer would be yes and no; I would keep the dictionaries and install their CD-ROM softwares, but remove translation softwares. :wink:
頭像
Mike
文章: 128
註冊時間: 週二 8月 26, 2003 12:13 pm
來自: Taipei, Taiwan
聯繫:

文章 Mike »

WOW, what a beauty with wisdom,,,, yummy yummy!

By the way, you did not mention your wedding status in your self-instroduction.
Are you married or still single? Do you have BF at the moment?

^^
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

文章 Georgia »

[quote="Mike"]WOW, what a beauty with wisdom,,,, yummy yummy![/quote]

hmmm.... It's really rude to use "yummy yummy" in this case, which I hope was not you true intension.
such usage sounds like taking a pretty lady as some kind of dish or a "fresh babe" for guys to eat up. I suggest you avoid saying things like this to greet a person you are not acquainted with yet. ^_^
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

[quote="technobabel"][quote="Kooper"]
[b]-loving[/b]: [suffix] used with some nouns to make adjectives describing the thing that someone enjoys [Macmillan English Dictionary]
Ex: a wine-loving country [/quote]

"tax-hiking, government-expanding, latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, New York Times-reading, body-piercing, Hollywood-loving, left-wing freak show."[/quote]

關於這個部分,我建議不要僅是聚焦在 -loving 的字根,因為像「wine-loving」這個形容詞其實是複合形容詞的一種。複合形容詞的構詞法有很多,常常被拿來相提並論加以區別的是「N-Ving」和「N-Vpp」這兩種構詞法。前者表修飾主動,後者表修飾被動。舉例來說:
a man-eating fish 一條會吃人的魚(魚主動去吃,所以用現在分詞Ving)
a man-eaten fish 一條被人吃掉的魚(魚是被吃的,所以用過去分詞Vpp)
不過,依照常理思考,於被吃掉哪還會有魚?所以上面這個例子很爛,我們再看一個例子:
a paper-made machine 一台紙做的機器(機器被人用紙當材料製造出來,所以用過去分詞Vpp)
a paper-making machine 一台能製造紙的機器(機器製造紙是主動行為,所以用現在分詞Ving)
注意,中間的 dash「-」不可以漏掉,不然會很可能產生語意上的謬誤。例如:

I saw a paper-making machine over there. 我看到那邊有一台製造紙的機器。
I saw a paper making machine over there. 我看到那邊有張紙正在製造機器。(?!)
不過,紙不可數,不能直接加冠詞a 才對~ 怎樣看都是錯的句子,應該不至於會有人用,所以這個例子又爛了,所以我們再回頭看食人魚的例子:
I saw a man-eating fish over there. 我看到那邊有條會吃人的魚。
I saw a man eating fish over there. 我看到那邊有個男子正在吃魚。
我記得有一部小孩子的電影,裡面有一段情節是他們想要賺經費來打造一台賽車,就在園遊會裡面搭了帳棚,站在帳棚外的小孩吆喝著「Man-eating chicken! Come see the incredible man-eating chicken!!」聽起來好像是有一隻了不起的,會吃人的雞在帳棚內展示。買了票的人進帳棚一看,是一個小朋友在啃卡拉脆雞腿。這就是他們運用這種沈默的標點符號,玩了一場雙關文字遊戲。

解說完畢。
頭像
Mike
聯繫:

文章 Mike »

[quote="Georgia"] [quote="Mike"] WOW, what a beauty with wisdom,,,, yummy yummy! [/quote]

hmmm.... It's really rude to use "yummy yummy" in this case, which I hope was not you true intension.
such usage sounds like taking a pretty lady as some kind of dish or a "fresh babe" for guys to eat up. I suggest you avoid saying things like this to greet a person you are not acquainted with yet. ^_^ [/quote]

Ha, Ha, Ha, Thanks for your advice... ^^
Hopefully I may have the chnace to know this beautiful girl at YOYO in the future. ^_^
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

i guess i can tell by Mike's words he just tried to be in an amusing way to welcome Angie. though it sounds not that polite to a lady you never even met, i think it would be a bit funny. no offence really!!
i might have used the same word as well but for i couldn't come up with it haaa:p
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

so, Sherry, for FWIW stuff what did you try to say?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

[quote="Luis Ko"]so, Sherry, for FWIW stuff what did you try to say?[/quote]

Don't rub salt into the wound again. If you want to know, let me tell you in private...
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Georgia 寫:
technobabel 寫:
Kooper 寫: -loving: [suffix] used with some nouns to make adjectives describing the thing that someone enjoys [Macmillan English Dictionary]
Ex: a wine-loving country
"tax-hiking, government-expanding, latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, New York Times-reading, body-piercing, Hollywood-loving, left-wing freak show."
關於這個部分,我建議不要僅是聚焦在 -loving 的字根,因為像「wine-loving」這個形容詞其實是複合形容詞的一種。複合形容詞的構詞法有很多,常常被拿來相提並論加以區別的是「N-Ving」和「N-Vpp」這兩種構詞法。前者表修飾主動,後者表修飾被動。舉例來說:
a man-eating fish 一條會吃人的魚(魚主動去吃,所以用現在分詞Ving)
a man-eaten fish 一條被人吃掉的魚(魚是被吃的,所以用過去分詞Vpp)
不過,依照常理思考,於被吃掉哪還會有魚?所以上面這個例子很爛,我們再看一個例子:
a paper-made machine 一台紙做的機器(機器被人用紙當材料製造出來,所以用過去分詞Vpp)
a paper-making machine 一台能製造紙的機器(機器製造紙是主動行為,所以用現在分詞Ving)
注意,中間的 dash「-」不可以漏掉,不然會很可能產生語意上的謬誤。例如:

I saw a paper-making machine over there. 我看到那邊有一台製造紙的機器。
I saw a paper making machine over there. 我看到那邊有張紙正在製造機器。(?!)
不過,紙不可數,不能直接加冠詞a 才對~ 怎樣看都是錯的句子,應該不至於會有人用,所以這個例子又爛了,所以我們再回頭看食人魚的例子:
I saw a man-eating fish over there. 我看到那邊有條會吃人的魚。
I saw a man eating fish over there. 我看到那邊有個男子正在吃魚。
我記得有一部小孩子的電影,裡面有一段情節是他們想要賺經費來打造一台賽車,就在園遊會裡面搭了帳棚,站在帳棚外的小孩吆喝著「Man-eating chicken! Come see the incredible man-eating chicken!!」聽起來好像是有一隻了不起的,會吃人的雞在帳棚內展示。買了票的人進帳棚一看,是一個小朋友在啃卡拉脆雞腿。這就是他們運用這種沈默的標點符號,玩了一場雙關文字遊戲。

解說完畢。
Thanks to Georgia's lucid and witty explanation, I learned and laughed a lot.
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

[quote="Kooper"]
Thanks to Georgia's lucid and witty explanation, I learned and laughed a lot.[/quote]

ai yo~~~
my pleasure la~ 這樣學才輕鬆~我的教學風格~ 呼呼
頭像
Angie
YOYO member
文章: 1
註冊時間: 週六 3月 22, 2008 8:10 pm

文章 Angie »

Well, in reply to Mike's question, I'm single and not seeing anyone in particular.

Though I'm quite flattered by Mike's compliment, I can't agree with Georgia more that sometimes it can be offensive to a lady by using "yummy" as an expression. But don't worry, Mike, no offense taken. ^___^
頭像
Angie
YOYO member
文章: 1
註冊時間: 週六 3月 22, 2008 8:10 pm

文章 Angie »

[quote="Wayne"]日本推理小說

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/17153723.html?fr=qrl

WOW! 謝謝Wayne找來這麼精采的推理流派解說, 讀得很過癮!

我是本格派推理小說迷
喜歡的作者有西村京太郎(他也寫過社會派), 島田莊司, 綾辻行人, 土屋隆夫, 阿嘉莎克莉絲蒂, 和艾勒里昆恩
當然, 還有大名頂頂的柯南道爾, 他筆下的福爾摩斯帶我進入推理的世界

如果有推理小說迷, 歡迎來分享一下哦!
頭像
Mike
聯繫:

文章 Mike »

[quote="Angie"]Well, in reply to Mike's question, I'm single and not seeing anyone in particular.

Though I'm quite flattered by Mike's compliment, I can't agree with Georgia more that sometimes it can be offensive to a lady by using "yummy" as an expression. But don't worry, Mike, no offense taken. ^___^[/quote]

Hi Angie,

Thanks!
回覆文章