Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address(2007.4.28)(SAT.)

回覆文章
頭像
Arthur
YOYO member
文章: 469
註冊時間: 週一 8月 25, 2003 9:15 am
來自: Taipei
聯繫:

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address(2007.4.28)(SAT.)

文章 Arthur »

Dear YoYos

I am Arthur. so happy to be the host in April 28th. I choose the text of Steve Job(ex-CEO on Apple Comuter Inc.) speech as this topic. Hope it is good for you..

Two rules for the meeting are:
Read the article and print it before you come to the meeting.
Please come the venue on time.

Stanford Report, June 14, 2005
Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)
From: http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2 ... 61505.html
Video: http://digg.com/apple/Steve_Job_s_Speec ... Graduation

This is the text of the Commencement address by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, delivered on June 12, 2005.
I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.
The first story is about connecting the dots.
I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?
It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.
And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.
It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5¢ deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me give you one example:
Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating.
None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.
Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
My second story is about love and loss.
I was lucky — I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees. We had just released our finest creation — the Macintosh — a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired. How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.
I really didn't know what to do for a few months. I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down - that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began to dawn on me — I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.
I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.
During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature film, Toy Story, and is now the most successful animation studio in the world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT, I returned to Apple, and the technology we developed at NeXT is at the heart of Apple's current renaissance. And Laurene and I have a wonderful family together.
I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.
My third story is about death.
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.
I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.
This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope its the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.
Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.
Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
Thank you all very much.

Vocabulies:
1. stumbled: to trip in walking or running 絆一跤;蹣跚而行
2. calligraphy: write beautifully and ornamentally 書法
3. typography: the art or process of printing with type.排版;活版印刷術
4. karma :seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. 因果報應;因緣
5. biopsy: the removal for diagnostic study of a piece of tissue from a living body. 活動檢視;切片檢查
6. endoscope: a slender, tubular optical instrument used as a viewing system for examining an inner part of the body and, with an attached instrument, for biopsy or surgery. 內視鏡
7. sedated: calm, quiet, or composed; undisturbed by passion or excitement: a sedate party; a sedate horse. 鎮定的
8. pancreas: a gland, situated near the stomach, that secretes a digestive fluid into the intestine through one or more ducts and also secretes the hormone insulin. 胰臟
9. Polaroid :a brand of material for producing polarized light from unpolarized light by dichroism, consisting typically of a stretched sheet of colorless plastic treated with an iodine solution so as to have long, thin, parallel chains of polymeric molecules containing conductive iodine atoms. It is used widely in optical and lighting devices to reduce glare. 拍立得照相機
10. hitchhike: to travel by standing on the side of the road and soliciting rides from passing vehicles. 在路邊要求搭便車

Questions:
(Session one)
1. Please list two good/useful statements from this article and tell us why.
2. The author wrote “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.” How do you explain it and what’s the implied meaning for you?

(Session two)
3. Even the author got fired from Apple, but he created other greatest business then. Have you any jobless experiences? What did you learn from it and how did you tide yourself over the difficult period?
4. If your close friends or family have no passion for working a job or they do not want to work at all, do you have any good suggestion to encourage them to work?

Agenda
Session I:
2:15 ~ 2:30 Greeting / Ordering Drink&Beverage
2:30 ~ 2:40 Host speech and Introduction of new comers
2:40 ~ 3:20 Group Discussion
3:20 ~ 3:30 Opinion Sharing
3:30 ~ 3:40 Break

Session II:
3:40 ~ 4:10 Group Discussion
4:10 ~ 4:20 Opinion Sharing
4:20 ~ 4:30 Newcomers'Feedback

聚會時間:星期六 請準時2:15 pm到 ~ 約4:30 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:加州陽光2F 台北市大安路一段84巷4號 02-27512955
捷運忠孝復興站(木柵線板南線樞紐,十分方便)
忠孝東路 SOGO 附近之永福樓對面Bistro 98大樓-->大安路-->米蘭.米藍(服飾店)-->第一條巷子右轉

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;討論完畢後可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想(feedback)。
2. 請事先閱討論主題相關內容以及host所提的問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 來之前請先讀一下在討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。
4. 在正式加入之前(繳交可退還之保證金NT$1,000),可以先來觀摩三次

Attendee: Grace Yang, Linda Liao, Raymond, Lydia, Una, Brian Huang, Laura, Bill Yu, Daniel Ka, Christine, Wayne Chiang, Emily, Lucy, Arthur, Andy, Jessie, Linda Chen, Winson

New comer: Fina, Charles Chen

VIP: Tiffany, Roger
最後由 Arthur 於 週一 4月 30, 2007 12:54 am 編輯,總共編輯了 5 次。
===========
厚積而薄發!
===========
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

一起來跟 Steve Jobs 學英文單字

I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

technobabel 寫:一起來跟 Steve Jobs 學英文單字

Wouldn't it be funny?
Pretty cool, huh?
頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

文章 Lydia »

technobabel 寫到:
一起來跟 Steve Jobs 學英文單字

It is Un-be-lie-va-ble that Steve Jobs iterates the same words to such an extent. :shock:
What a
Huge discovery !
"Wouldn't it be great to have the coming topic about Steve Jobs' speech ?"
"Pretty cool, uh?" :wink:

Lydia
PS. In face, this demonstrates Steve Jobs' passion to strongly promote his great ideas and products to the audience. It's really difficult that people are not influenced by his speech.
wilson
YOYO member
文章: 188
註冊時間: 週四 1月 15, 2004 11:00 am

文章 wilson »

這真是一篇很棒的演說稿
我也是一看再看
再次謝謝大家的推薦喔! :ok:

文中"連續性"的探討當作起頭
最是令人印象深刻
我曾聽過一位數理老師說
"連續性"的探討是數字跟數列非常重要的基本觀念

總之他一定是很厲害的人物無疑,很想多知道真實的他及是如何轉變的 ! :ssmile:
勤練撞球的Wilson!
Jessie
YOYO member
文章: 33
註冊時間: 週六 8月 16, 2003 11:25 am
來自: Taoyuan

文章 Jessie »

星期六的聚會是在加州陽光吧?
Jekyll & Hyde....my favorite music
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 198
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

文章 Christine »

Great commencement address.

" You've got to find what you loved. If you haven't found what you loved yet, keep looking. Don't settle. AS with all matters of the heart, you will know when you find it. " Un-be-lie-vable ! Pretty cool, huh ?
Jessie
YOYO member
文章: 33
註冊時間: 週六 8月 16, 2003 11:25 am
來自: Taoyuan

文章 Jessie »

Arthur: this is really a good address which provides food for thought, thank you! ^^

p.s.: 看完這篇還有個感想: 休息太久, 都快要忘記如何當個用功的學生了!!    > <
Jekyll & Hyde....my favorite music
頭像
Arthur
YOYO member
文章: 469
註冊時間: 週一 8月 25, 2003 9:15 am
聯繫:

文章 Arthur »

Dear Jessie

Just enjoy your time for sharing something with Yoyos..We miss you very much and hope you can show up often ^_^
===========
厚積而薄發!
===========
頭像
danielka
YOYO member
文章: 75
註冊時間: 週一 4月 09, 2007 9:27 am
聯繫:

文章 danielka »

有興趣了解Bill Gates和Steve Jobs故事的人,可以去找這部電影來看。
Pirates of Silicon Valley

http://www.ivideo.com.tw/rent_video/vid ... m_id=28323

提到找到自己喜愛的工作的部份,有一句還滿不錯的,是孔子說的,但是沒印象在論語裡面有見過就是了。
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius

Keep looking, don't settle這句話不錯。可是就是因為這樣才一直找不到女朋友吧。
Daniel Ka
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

Success may be imitated but never duplicated. There will always be only one Steve Jobs in this world. The secret of his success will always be his. What about the secrets of our mini-success, however insignificant it may be. How do we hope to find them? Just keep on looking or die trying? That's what life is all about.

Sounds different when a 10 years old girl sings it.

Don't Cry Out Loud

Baby cried the day the circus came to town
'cause she didn't want parades just passin' by her
So she painted on a smile and took up with some clown
While she danced without a net upon the wire
I know a lot about 'er 'cause, you see
Baby is an awful lot like me

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside, learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

Baby saw that when they pulled that big top down
They left behind her dreams among the litter
The different kind of love she thought she'd found
There was nothin' left but sawdust and some glitter
But baby can't be broken 'cause you see
She had the finest teacher-that was me-I told 'er

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside and learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud

Don't cry out loud
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost made it

Don't cry out loud
Fly high and proud
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Words and Expressions to Learn April 28 2007
旁聽 : audit
不得已: can't help but....
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

Let me present to you the famous Kurt Vonnegut 1997 commencement speech at MIT. But it turned out to be a hoax. The speeh was written by a Chicago Tribune writer, Mary Schmich. And Kurt Vonnegut told the New York Times, "What she wrote was funny and wise and charming, so I would have been proud had the words been mine."

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97: Wear sunscreen.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.
Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine. Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday. Do one thing every day that scares you. Sing. Don't be reckless with other people's hearts.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. Floss. Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself. Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters.
Throw away your old bank statements. Stretch. Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't. Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone. Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's. Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own. Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly. Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future. Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young. Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel. Accept certain inalienable truths:
Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders. Respect your elders. Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out. Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85. Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth. But trust me on the sunscreen.
回覆文章