Let’s talk about English writing (5/23, Wed)

Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2686
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Comparison between simile and metaphor:

Per Collins Cobuild's definitions and examples,

simile:
an expression which describes a person or thing as being similar to someone or something else.
example1: She runs like a deer.
example2: He is as white as a sheet.

metaphor:
an "imaginative" way of describing something by refering to something else which is the same in a particular way.
example1: If you want to say that someone is very shy and frightened of things, you might say that they are a mouth.

Based on the definition, we could see that metaphor is a more creative and indirect way of writing and probably more interesting to read if properly used.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

technobabel 寫:Examples of Similes and Metaphors

1. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River. (Brian Broadus, Charlottesville)

2. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut. (Sandra Hull, Arlington)

3. The door had been forced, as forced as the dialogue during the interview portion of "Jeopardy!" (Jean Sorensen, Herndon)

4. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do. (Jerry Pannullo, Kensington)

5. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work. (Malcolm Fleschner, Arlington)

6. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while. (Malcolm Fleschner, Arlington)

7. "Oh, Jason, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a college freshman on $1-a-beer night. (Bonnie Speary Devore, Gaithersburg)

8. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something. (John Kammer, Herndon)

9. Her artistic sense was exquisitely refined, like someone who can tell butter from I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. (Barbara Collier, Garrett Park)

10. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up. (Susan Reese, Arlington)
Based on above definitions, most of the examples are similes because they contains "like" or "as." I was unable to identify any metaphors here.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

simile: 明喻
metaphor: 暗喻

本體和喻體同時出現, 它們之間是相同的關係, 常用be, become.

Here are additional examples of metaphor. 名詞用於暗喻:

Failure is the mother of success.

All the life about him was a dream.

A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever.

I would pitch in and work harder than ever and eventually become a pillar of society.

The motor is the heart of the automobile.

The night has a thousand eyes.

He is a mule.

動詞用於暗喻:

Some books are to be tasted, others swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.
回覆文章