'07/10/31(Wed.)Music Listening Experience (Host: Linda Liao)

頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member
文章: 138
註冊時間: 週四 4月 19, 2007 3:24 pm
來自: Taichung

'07/10/31(Wed.)Music Listening Experience (Host: Linda Liao)

文章 Linda-Liao »

Hello everyone, I’m Linda Liao, this is my first time to be a host.
Today, let’s talk about music listening experience.
Music is very powerful. The kind of music you listen to say a lot about who you are.
What music you choose to listen will help to determine what type of person you are tomorrow.
In almost all categories of music, there are artists that deliver positive messages through their music and deliver destructive, hateful messages in their music.
The kind of music you choose to listen to will help determine the level of success you achieve in life.

The related article for you reference:

Your choice of music can shape your beliefs
http://ezinearticles.com/?Your-Choice-o ... s&id=44207

Musical compostion - How to listen to music like a composer
http://ezinearticles.com/?Musical-Compo ... &id=532320

Music helps in relieving stress
http://ezinearticles.com/?Music-Helps-I ... &id=233064

Free music appeals to music lovers
http://ezinearticles.com/?Free-Music-Ap ... &id=569700

A video introduction to music
http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/Humaniti ... 01_vod.asp

The elements of music(part1-3)
http://trumpet.sdsu.edu/M345/Elements_of_Music1.html

Beyonce's viedo and lyrics
http://www.mp3indirbedava.com/beyonce-l ... ndir/2007/
http://www.mp3indirbedava.com/beyonce-f ... ndir/2007/

Some music to listen and see
http://hk.geocities.com/cmc0799.tw/Music2007

Questions for discussion

Session 1

1. What kinds of music do you like? Why?

2. What influence you listen to music actively?

Session 2

3. What motivation promote you buy CDs? (popular, collect…)

4. What ways you choose to listen to music? (Internet, broadcast…)

5. Do you like watch and listen to music simultaneously or just listen?Why?

聚會時間: 敬請準時 6:45 pm 到 ~ 約 9:00 pm 左右結束

聚會地點:日安。KAFFA 北市南京東路三段303巷24號 (02)2719-7895

捷運南京東路站(木柵線)

走法: 出捷運南京東路站後, 順著慶城街直走 3 分鐘到 "萊爾富便利超商" 時, 右轉直走 30 公尺即可看到 "日安。KAFFA"

給新朋友的話:

1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;討論完畢後可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想(feedback)。

2. 請事先閱討論主題相關內容以及host所提的問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。

3. 來之前請先讀一下在討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。

4. 在正式加入之前(繳交可退還之保證金NT$1,000),可以先來觀摩
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

即使我身邊的課業繁忙,忙到連回家的時間都沒有,
可能只有睡覺與課業!
不過昨天還是放自己一天假來到了YOYO,
跟YOYO們一起聊音樂 ,感覺滿愉快的! :D
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

還有,意外發現Kooper同事的手機是台灣沒賣的,
感覺很棒!! :D
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

I am not very comfortable with the title of this topic. It has been on my mind for a while. Since the only thing you can do with music is "listen" to it. Thus, "Music Listening Experience" just rub me the wrong way. The more "correct" phrase is "Music Appreciation..." What is the difference? Music listening sounds too passive. Any bozo with ears can do that. "Music Appreciation" demands certain level of sophistication plus respect towards the music and the musician.

Music appreciation involves an understanding of the elements of music, musical forms, musical styles, and periods. The cultivation of an understanding and sensitive awareness of music
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

Thank you for technobabel's viewpoints!
I think listening isn't passive,it is active but not deep.

Alice-Ann(1990)said "Listening is a mental process; hearing is a physical process. Understanding the physical act of hearing can tell us a great deal about the listening potential of us."

Origin: Darrow, Alice-Ann(1990). The role of hearing in understanding music. Music Educators Journal, 77 (4), p24-7.

So, three levels of touching sound is hearing, listening, appreciation.
When I hear the music, I am passive.
When I listen to the music, I am active and can analyze, describe the music.
When I appreciate the music, I evaluate, understand the relationship between music, history and culture.

I choose the topic about music listening instead of music appreciation is I think listening is a broader field,and not all people have appreciative experience. Some regard music as a background or relaxed music, so it belongs to hearing.

I'm glad to meet some members like "technobabel" has appreciative level.
最後由 Linda-Liao 於 週五 11月 02, 2007 6:16 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

Music education in America often use "music listening" to indicate "Knowing within music",and use "Music Appreciation" to indicate "Accepting musical culture and values" !!
Books and articles in America, "Music Listening" is over 80% to discuss.

To "technobabel": Are you comfortable to share your appreciative experience for us? Thnaks you!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2013
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Wow! You guys really discuss "music" in a serious way! This can be a topic for some theses in a graduate school 8)
However, I do think music is a good topic for discussion, 'cause everybody has his/her own way of listening or "appreciating" music. Maybe not many people showed up that day because of rain, but I do think we had a wonderful time discussing music and other things. Many thanks to you guys. :D
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

I am probably the most tone deaf person you can find. If "Music" is my girlfriend, chances are she is not going to be very happy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_deaf

A person who is tone deaf lacks relative pitch, the ability to discriminate between musical notes. Being tone deaf is having difficulty or being unable to correctly hear relative differences between notes; however, in common usage, it refers to a person's inability to reproduce them accurately. The latter inability is most often caused by lack of musical training or education and not actual tone deafness.

The ability of relative pitch, as with other musical abilities, appears to be inherent in healthy functional humans. The hearing impairment appears to be genetically influenced, though it can also result from brain damage. While someone who is unable to reproduce pitches because of a lack of musical training would not be considered tone deaf in a medical sense, the term might still be used to describe them casually. Someone who cannot reproduce pitches accurately, because of lack of training or tone deafness, is said to be unable to "carry a tune." Tone deafness affects ability to hear pitch changes produced by a musical instrument and/or the human voice. However, tone deaf people seem to be only disabled when it comes to music, and they can fully interpret the prosody or intonation of human speech. It has been observed that in societies with tonal languages such as Cantonese and Vietnamese, there are almost no tone deaf people; a strong indicator that the ability to reproduce and distinguish between notes may be a learned skill. However, correlation does not imply causation: if Cantonese and Vietnamese people were genetically predisposed toward a greater accurate ability to distinguish between tones, that may have increased the likelihood of developing said tonal language.

Tone deaf people often lack a sense of musical aesthetics, and much like a color blind person would not be apt to appreciate colorful visual art, some tone deaf people cannot appreciate music. Tone deafness is also associated with other musical-specific impairments such as inability to keep time with music (the lack of rhythm), or the inability to remember or even recognize a song. These disabilities can appear separately but some research shows that they are more likely to appear in tone deaf people. [1]

Tone deafness is also known variously as amusia, tune deafness, dysmelodia and dysmusia.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

Thanks for your respond,
But I am busy recently,
I will spend some time to reply"you are not "tone deaf " :D
頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

文章 Lydia »

當天討論有一些對於重金屬音樂 (Heavy Metal) 和 流行搖滾 (Pop Rock) 區別上的疑惑
我綜合了一下網路資料 跟大家分享囉:

搖滾的種類

流行搖滾 ( Pop Rock )
80年代可說是Pop Rock最夯的時期,流行搖滾是種沒有特定類型的音樂型態,最大的特色是受歡迎,不論聽眾喜歡搖滾與否,都會喜歡他們,而大部分此類的樂團都是以情歌見著,而且歌曲也都蠻容易上口的,可能聽一次就會唱副歌了,現今在台最受歡迎的Bon Jovi即是以他們的情歌虜獲不少歌迷、再者加拿大籍的Bryan Adams皆是以其特殊嗓音詮釋情歌而大紅的。這也是大多數搖滾迷最先接觸搖滾樂的類型。

重金屬 ( Heavy Metal )
吵這死人了!我想這就是一般人對heavy metal的第一映像,不容諱言有些金屬團的唱腔、吉他效果器的用量加上鼓份所制造出的樂章真非一般人所能接受。比較起HR,HM的節奏更重,且編曲方式更單調,主唱的唱腔接近嘶吼尖叫而且吉他和鼓的SOLO更多,或許我們也可這麼說,HM就是一種比ROCK更吵的音樂類型,說它是專門為消洩不滿情緒而生的音樂實不為過。代表性的樂團有GN'R、IRON MAIDEN等。附帶一提Iron Maiden可是有六位團員喔,第六位就是只負責當封面主角名叫Eddie的骷髏,它可是從未在任何專輯缺席的團員。

迷幻搖滾 ( Acid Rock/ Psychedelic )
Psychedelic Rock也有人說Acid Rock,顧名思義跟麻醉脫離不了關係,大部分這類的作品都是創作者在服用大麻(60年代最夯的毒品)之類的迷幻藥後所催生的,當然聽這類的作品時瞬間會將你拉入一種飄渺、虛幻、神秘的世界,尤其當你置身在昏暗的空間時,宛若你也頓坐在狹暗的街道,抽著大麻般,而迷幻搖滾為了營造出讓人恍惚的氣紛,樂器的彈奏及使用上就會大量出現效果器、電子音效、具東方色彩的琴、鼓等,在歌唱方面則是時而低吟時而聲嘶力竭的怒吼。但這個60年代的產物在步入70年代後隨著Jim Morrison(27歲)、Jimi Hendrix(28歲)、Jains Joplin(27歲)等三J因服用藥物過多而死亡後逐漸式微。代表樂團則是The Doors、Grateful Dead及Jefferson Airplane等樂團。

硬式搖滾 ( Hard Rock )
現在對Hard Rock及Heavy Rock幾乎沒有分類了,而在一般人印象中所謂吵到不行的搖滾樂通常是指硬式搖滾,從60年代末至今,可謂生存的最久的一種搖滾型態了,不過英國的硬式搖滾樂團跟美國的硬式搖滾樂團在曲風上仍略有不同,雖然硬式搖滾是以藍調搖滾加入重節拍及電子配備的運用,但美國的樂團在樂器上節啪較重,音量也較大,而英國的樂團則多還是以藍調為藍本。代表樂團則有The Who、Led Zeppelin、Scorpions等。

藍調搖滾 ( Blues Rock )
一種融合了Blues ,Hard Rock,Rock'N Roll的音樂,歌曲與傳統Blues不同,較為主流市場接受
代表性樂團: Gary Moore,Stevie ray Vaughan,Jeff Beck,MSG

爵士搖滾 ( Jazz Rock )
爵士搖滾就是將爵士樂那種即興的演奏方式融入在搖滾中,相同的歌在不同時間所呈現的感覺就不一樣,就因即興所以團員間的默契更顯重要,此外可能再加入一些爵士特有元素,如薩克司風等管樂器,或特邀爵士樂手為其伴奏,而他們樂器的間奏時間亦較長,團員亦比一般搖滾團多,故他們的曲風蠻鮮明的,一聽就知道是JAZZ ROCK,早期的Chicago或是Stelly Dan都是著名的爵士搖滾團,但隨著Stelly Dan的解散及Chicago的愈玩愈流行,JAZZ ROCK現今實已少見。

前衛搖滾 ( Progressive Rock )
是指在當時創作意念不流於一般,較為前衛的樂團,他們可能強調整張專輯的概念中心及創作意念,並以歌曲連貫,所以聽這類樂團的作品時最好不要從精選輯下手。而有些前衛團則較著重音樂效果上的創新。此外前衛搖滾還具有另一特色就是他們不僅強調團員間的默契及一起創作時的合協,他們更注重個人才能的表現所以他們顯少是一整個團只有一位靈魂人物,幾乎每個人都司創作,有時甚至都有一張專輯的每個作品都是不同人的創作,或者是前面是放了個人創作最後再來個大合作。而前衛搖滾的樂團在表現上英國樂團比起美國樂團要來的受注目,除了Styx外叫的出名字的前衛搖滾代表就都幾乎是英國團了。較據代表性的樂團則是Pink Floyd、Yes。

藝術搖滾 ( Art Rock )
其實Art Rock與Progressive Rock幾乎分不出來,有些人甚至說前衛搖滾就是藝術搖滾,如果硬是要將他們分類那兩者的差別在藝術搖的作品比起前衛搖滾還來得重視美術感,從包裝到整個作品的呈現雖然還是很前衛,但更重視美感,太過粗糙的元素即使前衛仍會被他們柄棄,藝術搖滾可說是從前衛搖滾走出來的一支。其中的典範則是Roxy Music。

古典搖滾 ( Classical Rock )
Art Rock、Progressive Rock及Classical Rock可說是搖滾三胞胎,怎麼看都覺得他們很像,如果要同中求異那就看他們的名字分辨吧。既然叫古典搖滾也就是說他整張專輯的感覺偏向古典樂,比如樂器的使用及編制,或者是與交響樂團合作專輯的灌錄,要不就是整張專輯的基點幾乎都是以古典樂為主,他們並不像前衛搖滾一直求概念性或是錄音技術的創新,也不像藝術搖滾那麼的精雕細琢於文句或與藝術類有那麼密切的結合。例如Moody Blues這個與交響樂與搖滾結合的先鋒部隊他們的Days of future passed便是依據一天時間的運行來鋪陳整張曲目的順序,其中最知名的Nights In White Satin便是他們的成名曲,而這張專輯也為古典搖滾畫下一個新紀元,此外Electric Light Orcestra(ELC)也是古典搖滾的代表。

民謠搖滾 ( Folk Rock )
這是一種將流行在一般鄉村傳唱的歌搖與搖滾樂結合的音樂型態,一般來講民謠在歌詞上不若一般的音樂常會有矯情之感,他往往只是將當地的生活方式、習性、文化表現在歌詞上,在歌曲上更是會具有當地的特色,通常一聽就會知道是那裡的歌謠了,而整首歌的感覺往往也是愉悅、輕快的,但自從民謠搖滾的始祖鮑布迪倫(Bob Dylan)將之與搖滾結合後,他的主題就不在只是局限在自我,從只是單純情緒的喧洩進而開始憂國憂民,政治、社會、價值觀、反戰等整個大環境所含蓋的因素都會是他的主題,雖然民謠搖滾發蹟於美國,但後來和搖滾都一直有接觸的卻以愛爾蘭及居爾特民謠較知名,而英國的始祖該首推橫跨爵士、靈魂、民謠等三大領域的Van Morrison吧 !!

華麗搖滾 ( Glam Rock/ Glitter Rock )
華麗搖滾最容易分辨的地方在服裝、造型、舞台道具、表演設計上極其注重,甚至在化妝還不鼎盛的當時,表演者卻是濃妝豔抹,極中性的打扮。然也就因這些嘩眾取寵的特色總讓人一下就注目到他們卻也往往讓人忘記到去注意他們的音樂特色。Glam Rock起源首推"搖滾變色龍"David Bowie,相信他對搖滾界的影響沒多少人能出其右了吧,甚至還有雜誌將他評為比披頭四更具影響力的藝人,足見Glam Rock絕不只是流於表面的搖滾型態,另外之如濃抹粉黛卻極為陽剛的Kiss和團員都有藝術學士學力的Queen也都是華麗搖滾的代表樂團。

油漬搖滾 ( Grunge )
Grunge是一種產生於90年代初期,融合龐克與搖滾樂的一種新式產物,因此類樂團從頭至腳一身不修邊幅,從頭髮到穿著整體油膩感一副嘻皮樣固得名,因為此類的樂團大都來自西雅圖故又有西雅圖之聲的別號,在Nirvana成名前這只能說是一種地下音樂,吉他亂飆、主唱亂吼,整體質感相當粗糙,在音樂表現上他們的一大特點就是從一開始單純的伴奏接著狂敲猛打在來又恢復單純的伴奏方式就降一直重複,而主唱也是照著這種模式歌唱。不過這種音樂宛若為Nirvana而生,在Kurt Cobain死後油漬搖滾就如隕石殞落般,只剩下一點點碎屑。除超脫外較主流的還有珍珠果醬。

鞭打金屬 ( Trash Metal )
這是在80年代末盛行的產物,完全不用搖頭丸,聽他們的音樂自然台上台下即搖頭一片, 當然既然叫金屬不外乎又是一種很吵的音樂類型,比起HM它吵雜的程度可謂有過之無不及,要窺見Trash metal的大林,從有號稱4大鞭打金屬團的Metallica、Slayer、Megadeth及Anthrax的作品即可知道到底trash在玩什麼,簡短的歌詞,一直不段重覆相同不太有旋律的旋律,但卻又像施了魔法般讓人不禁跟著搖頭晃腦。不過目前為止除了Metallica外,對其他的編打團我仍敬謝不敏,對我而言仍覺得太吵了,尤其是Slayer,若覺得其他的音樂類型太軟,我想他絕對會滿足你的耳根。或許一般人覺得trash跟本就是噪音,但對編打迷來講就因為它們那如此密集的鼓點、滋滋刺耳的吉他伴奏方是trash迷人之處。

速度金屬 ( Speed Metal )
顧名思義速度金屬就是一種強調速度的金屬類型,當然玩Speed metal的團,各個團員的技術可說是玩團中的翹楚,雖然並非快就是好,但若是爛的絕對快不起來,不管是鼓還是吉他甚或貝斯,見每位團體在彈樂器真會覺得他們已和樂器融為一體,其指法之快實非簡短筆墨所可形容 ,就因為以速度見著若主唱的聲音特色不夠鮮明則會為樂器所埋沒,故其主唱的歌喉決不若一般,較著名的Speed metal團則是Helloween。

龐克搖滾 ( Punk )
說龐克搖滾總覺得怪怪的,是實上它可說是一脫離出搖滾而自立的一種音樂,亦可說是另類搖滾,約末蹶起於70年代末80年代初,剛好和speed rock背道而馳,表演者以最簡單的和旋、樂器,毫無技巧的歌唱方式直接唱出所欲表達的想法,歌詞也不矯飾,可說是最粗糙的搖滾類型,不過反觀之它亦是最直接的音樂,最著重感覺絲毫不為其它因素所困栯,在70年代初還有一說就是只要會吉他的3種基本合旋就可以玩Punk,就連龐克的巨頭Sex Pistpls亦不諱言他們的技巧相當粗淺, 雖然龐克風光的日子並不長,但從滾石雜誌票選出80年代100張最佳專輯居座冠軍位的The Clas"London calling " 不難看出龐克在當時是多盛行,雖然風光不在但然對數個90年代相當著名的樂團有莫大的影響。

鄉村搖滾 ( Country Rock )
鄉村搖滾是搖滾樂融合了鄉村音樂的一種搖滾類型,早期西部拓荒時代拓荒者朗朗上口的歌曲逐漸演變成鄉村歌曲,歌詞內容是以生活點滴為主,接著在搖滾樂掘起之後有樂團將這樣的元素加入搖滾樂中即形成另一種獨特的類型,70年代隨著The Eagles受歡迎鄉村搖滾風行了好一陣子,由於該類型的樂團很多都發跡於加州故又稱加州搖滾,除了The Eagles外,C.S.N.Y(Crosby,Stills,Nash&Young)在當時亦是著名的鄉村搖滾團。

南方搖滾 ( Southern Rock )
Southern Rock的音樂特色有點像Country Rock,至於何以叫南方搖滾主因是代表團皆來自於南方各州, 通常它們的音樂都不長,而且吉他手偏多(約2~3人),所以也蠻注重吉他solo的,不過卻不會很強調吉他技巧,因為著名的吉他手好像都不是這類型的。而南方搖滾最具代表性的樂團莫過於有南方搖滾第一團美譽的Lynyrd Skynyrd, 此外Allman brothers band亦是代表團,但隨著兩團團員的早夭使得Southern Rock僅風光幾年就沒落了。

英倫搖滾 ( Brit-Rock )
英倫搖滾即是指發蹟於英國的搖滾樂團,不過通常不是指第一次英倫入侵(60年代),而是指90年代的搖滾新血,他們的曲風也名顯的不同以往,帶點舞曲的曲風再加上讀特的唱腔,固亦被歸為另類搖滾,繼西雅圖之聲勢微後隨及代之成為新一代青少年最喜歡的搖滾型態,90年代中後期可說是Brtish Rock最蓬勃的時光 ,從Oasis到Radiohead相繼打入美國市場,Brtish Rock蔚為6年級生間最歡迎的搖滾類型。

Lydia
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Words and Expressions 111 2007

搖滾區: rock and roll block
通勤: commute
前奏:overture
區別:distinguish
法國號:French horn
小喇叭:trumpet
銅管:brass wind
長笛:flute
排行榜:chart
管樂隊:wind orchestra; wind band
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

to Rock小學弟,
You joined ths ntnu band club in the university,
and you are good at Flute,so you must have special learning experience with our department students! :D

your name is "Rock", means you are not classical,
but you don't like 周董's songs, maybe you like 鳳飛飛or費玉清!
頭像
Linda-Liao
YOYO member

文章 Linda-Liao »

Thanks Lydia share us the "rock style"definition! :D

to technobabel,
This article talks about "Cantonese and Vietnamese" is surprised me!

I have no experience about bf, so I’m not sure that is happy or sad……
but I’m sure some music alleviate sad or make happy.

In my opinion,
I think most of music majors have absolute pitch and relative pitch, but if you only listen or appreciate to music, this ability isn’t necessary. The possession can develop via education, except the obstacle is inborn.

The development of nurturing listening ability have several levels, from feeling to cognitive domain, so the relative pitch is belong to cognitive domain. Sometimes we don’t understand the music may be unfamiliar with, so you can repeat many times to find different wonder.

Don’t say you are “tone deaf”!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2653
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re:

文章 Kooper »

technobabel 寫:I am not very comfortable with the title of this topic. It has been on my mind for a while. Since the only thing you can do with music is "listen" to it. Thus, "Music Listening Experience" just rub me the wrong way. The more "correct" phrase is "Music Appreciation..." What is the difference? Music listening sounds too passive. Any bozo with ears can do that. "Music Appreciation" demands certain level of sophistication plus respect towards the music and the musician.
rub someone the wrong way: [informal] to annoy someone without intending to [Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary]
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1429
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: '07/10/31(Wed.)Music Listening Experience (Host: Linda Liao)

文章 Sherry Liao »

[LONGMAN] rub someone up the wrong way infml to annoy someone, esp. by dealing with them without proper care or thought

Would this explanation be closer, in this context?

Also, according to Collins COBUILD:
"rub someone up the wrong way" is British English, while "rub someone the wrong way" is American English
回覆文章