'07/11/7(Wed.) Overwork (Rescuer: Kooper)

Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2653
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

'07/11/7(Wed.) Overwork (Rescuer: Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

Adverse effects of overwork and how to avoid it

Dear YoYos, this is Kooper Chen. Recently, several of my friends started to work day and night six days a week. They apparently sacrifice their social and family lives and look fatigued all the time. I got the distinct impression that they are overworked and worried about their physical and mental conditions.

There are two major adverse effects of overwork or long working hours. One is it may imperil workers’ healthy conditions, both physically and mentally. A research paper published by Japanese government in 1994 included a useful classification of related medical problems:

1. People who constantly overwork are at high risk of karoshi (過勞死), which is prevalent in Japan and has gradually gained more public concerns in Taiwan. Karoshi, coined by Japanese, is occupational sudden death, mainly among middle-aged men. Literally it means death from overwork. The major medical causes of karoshi are heart attack and stroke due to stress. How does overwork lead to heart attacks or strokes? Overwork causes fatigue, an increase in blood pressure, hardening of the arteries and finally death from strokes or heart problems.

2. Mental disorder and stress, which also weaken the body, for example, the immune system. “Job burnout” – where a worker is emotionally exhausted, disinterested and irritable, could fit into this category.

3. Half healthy condition, when workers feel tired all the time.

The paper showed some surprising facts:
1. When working hours are longer than 10 hours, fatigue lasts into the next day.
2. When more than 40 hours of overtime are worked per month, there is a sharp increase in the number of workers who complain of tiredness.
3. The people who have died of karoshi often worked more than 70 hours a week.
4. It is estimated that 78% of workers suffered from tiredness all the time; 22% still had not recovered when they returned from a holiday.

Statistics published by Japanese government in 2007 showed that about 355 workers fell severely ill or died from overwork in the year to March, the highest figure on record. Separately, another 819 workers contended they became mentally ill due to overwork. Mentally troubled workers killed themselves or attempted to do so in 176 cases.

The other adverse effect of overwork is it can harm workers’ private lives, which in turn becomes damaging to the company, in a vicious circle. The truth is people have lives outside of work. They have families who like to have them around and friends and hobbies that they also want to have time for. The time they spend outside of work recharge their batteries, expand their horizons and actually makes they more efficient at work.

Why do people overwork? It is widely believed by employers that the more hours employees work, the better for the company. And it’s common to view people working this hard as heroes of the organization. By arriving at the office at 6 in the morning and leaving at 9 in the evening, managers may also send a message to their employees that this is what the company expects, that this is “the right way.”

How to avoid overwork or long working hours? Advice include getting better at prioritizing, delegating, seeking help from supervisor, or finding a new job to make your work fits inside a 40-hour week. Most important of all, the school of “work your butt off, everything else comes second” needs to be retired once and for all.

References:

Articles on overwork:
1. Drop dead: http://www.hazards.org/workedtodeath/workedtodeath2.htm
2. Overwork: http://www.hazards.org/workedtodeath/overwork.htm

Below links may help you get rid of the belief of overwork:
1. The cult of overwork: http://positivesharing.com/2006/04/the- ... overwork-2
2. My lazy life http://positivesharing.com/2006/03/my-lazy-life

Articles on karoshi:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoshi
2. http://www.chinesefreewebs.com/famidoc/ ... _tired.htm

Workaholic:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workaholic
2. 20 questions: How do I know if I’m a workaholic? http://www.workaholics-anonymous.org/knowing.html

Session I

1. How many hours a day on average do you spend at work? Do you often work overtime or need to work on weekends or at night? Do you think that you are overworked or have been stressed out at work?

2. Why do people overwork? What are your personal reasons? Do you think those reasons are justifiable?

3. Are you among one of the groups which have a high risk of Karoshi? (Please read http://www.chinesefreewebs.com/famidoc/ ... _tired.htm) Have you had any karoshi-related symptoms or other work-related medical problems?

4. What did you do or plan to do to avoid overwork or being stressed out at work and stay healthy? Share your plan or tips.

Session II

5. How has your family life or love life been adversely impacted by overwork or stresses and strains of work life? How do you balance your work life as well as family life?

6. After knowing all the adverse effects of overwork and overtime, to what extent are you willing to work overtime? If you were offered a double pay, how many hours a week would you like to spend at work?

7. Are you a workaholic? Do you feel that you are addicted to work and always panic at a looming long vacation? Workaholism in Japan is considered a serious social problem leading karoshi. Check the 20 questions below seeing if you are a workaholic.

1. Do you get more excited about your work than about family or anything else?
2. Are there times when you can charge through your work and other times when you can't?
3. Do you take work with you to bed? On weekends? On vacation?
4. Is work the activity you like to do best and talk about most?
5. Do you work more than 40 hours a week?
6. Do you turn your hobbies into money-making ventures?
7. Do you take complete responsibility for the outcome of your work efforts?
8. Have your family or friends given up expecting you on time?
9. Do you take on extra work because you are concerned that it won't otherwise get done?
10. Do you underestimate how long a project will take and then rush to complete it?
11. Do you believe that it is okay to work long hours if you love what you are doing?
12. Do you get impatient with people who have other priorities besides work?
13. Are you afraid that if you don't work hard you will lose your job or be a failure?
14. Is the future a constant worry for you even when things are going very well?
15. Do you do things energetically and competitively including play?
16. Do you get irritated when people ask you to stop doing your work in order to do something else?
17. Have your long hours hurt your family or other relationships?
18. Do you think about your work while driving, falling asleep or when others are talking?
19. Do you work or read during meals?
20. Do you believe that more money will solve the other problems in your life?

If you answer "yes" to three or more of these questions you may be a workaholic.

Agenda

6:45 or earlier The host (and guests) arriving at the meeting place
6:45 ~ 7:00 Greetings and free talk among members and guests /recording individual orders/getting newcomers’ information
7:00 sharp Beginning of the meeting
7:00 ~ 7:10 Opening remarks/ newcomers self-introduction of /grouping

(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50 First discussion session (7:35 Reminding each group of making a review for the speaker)
7:50 ~ 8:00 First summarization
8:00 ~ 8:10 Regrouping and taking a break (Intermission)

(Session II)
8:10 ~ 8:40 Second discussion session (8:35 Reminding each group of making a review for the speaker)
8:40 ~ 8:50 Second summarization
8:50 ~ 9:00 Concluding remarks/feedback from newcomers/ announcements

聚會時間:2007/11/7 (星期三) 請準時 6:45 pm 到 ~ 約 9:00 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:日安。KAFFA 北市南京東路三段303巷24號 (02)2719-7895
捷運南京東路站(木柵線)
走法: 出捷運南京東路站後, 順著慶城街直走 3 分鐘到 "萊爾富便利超商" 時, 右轉直走 30 公尺即可看到 "日安。KAFFA"

給新朋友的話:

1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;討論完畢後可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想(feedback)。
2. 請事先閱討論主題相關內容以及host所提的問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 來之前請先讀一下在討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。
4. 在正式加入之前(繳交可退還之保證金NT$1,000),可以先來觀摩三次
最後由 Kooper 於 週二 11月 06, 2007 4:42 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 8 次。
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Due to time limitation, the post above is just the fisrt draft. I'll update it again tomorrow night. Please revisit here after then.
頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

文章 Lydia »

This topic probably makes Kooper work overtime. 8)

Thanks Kooper again for being our rescuer !

Lydia
頭像
Claire3922
YOYO member
文章: 111
註冊時間: 週四 7月 26, 2007 1:08 am
來自: yoyo happy planet

文章 Claire3922 »

Dear YO YO members and welcome guests,

Kooper 是位很認真學習的模範yoyo member喔~
請大家星期三晚上一起來學習, 並給Kooper 支持及鼓勵
不過當然最大的學習獲得者是你自己喔~
Please mark the schedule and join the meeting.
See you :D
知足喜捨,是一種幸福!
健康平安,是一種幸福!
分享共好,是一種幸福!
體驗學習,是一種幸福!
活在當下,是一種幸福!
實踐夢想,是一種幸福!
你是不是每種幸福都把握到了呀?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Lydia 寫:This topic probably makes Kooper work overtime. 8)

Thanks Kooper again for being our rescuer !

Lydia
I am willing and glad to work overtime for YoYo :wink:
In fact, this is one of the question I would like to discuss about: for what reasons do you want to overwork or work overtime and is it worth risking your health or private life for.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Claire3922 寫:Dear YO YO members and welcome guests,

不過當然最大的學習獲得者是你自己喔~
Thanks, Claire. You may know why I pick this topic. :twisted:
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Maybe one-word topic is just a pet-peeve of mine.
Simply the word "Overwork" doesn't make a good title.
It is just not enough. Usually, the familiar situation is described as "overworked and underpaid". A double-whammy situation, if you will.

A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that can instill great frustration in an individual.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/i ... hammy.html

However, it is "labor of love" if you happen to love what you do at work.

http://www.goenglish.com/LaborOfLove.asp

Burnout is a psychological term for the experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest (depersonalization or cynicism), usually in the work context. It is also used as an English slang term to mean exhaustion. Burnout is often construed as the result of a period of expending too much effort at work while having too little recovery, but it is sometimes argued that workers with particular personality traits (especially neuroticism) are more prone to experiencing burnout.

Type A personality
, also known as the Type A Behavior Pattern, is a set of characteristics that includes being impatient, excessively time-conscious, insecure about one's status, highly competitive, hostile and aggressive, and incapable of relaxation.[1] Type A individuals are often highly achieving workaholics who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about the smallest of delays.

You bend over backwards when you put yourself in an uncomfortable position in order to help another person. Example: "We bent over backwards to help him, and he never even thanked us!"

above and beyond call of duty (self-explanatory)

Worked to the bone-

Overtime pay-

Time to Unwind-

Chillax- A mixture between the terms "chill out" and "relax".

A power-nap
is a short sleep which terminates before the occurrence of deep sleep or Slow-Wave-Sleep (SWS), intended to quickly revitalize the subject from drowsiness. The expression power-nap is coined by Cornell University social psychologist James Maas.

Work ethic is a set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence. It is also a belief in moral benefit of work and its ability to enhance character. An example would be the Protestant work ethic or Chinese work ethic. A work ethic may include being reliable, having initiative or maintaining social skills.

圖檔

Moonlight- To work at another job, often at night, in addition to one's full-time job.

Job security- "Now you see it, now you don't."
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Kooper 寫:Due to time limitation, the post above is just the fisrt draft. I'll update it again tomorrow night. Please revisit here after then.
Hi YoYos,
Contents has been updated. Some references were provided. Enjoy it and don't forget to join us tomorrow.

Hi Wayne Chiang,

Yes, you got a good point and thanks for your advice.
Since there is a limitation on the number of characters in topic, I put the modified topic in the content.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Words relating to the topic: (according to definition in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English)

be overtired: very tired so that you cannot think or do things normally and become annoyed easily.
be exhausted
be fatigued
be stressed out: so worried and tired that you cannot relax
be/get burnt out: to work so hard over a period of time that you become unable to continue working because you are tired, ill, or unable to think of any new ideas
to suffer from burnout
be overburdened / overloaded with work
to work overtime
to overwork / to be overworked
overwork [n]
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2013
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

OMG! Simply wanting to read all those stuffs provided by Kooper can make me feel overworked. However, just like playing mahjong or computer games, people will not feel tired at all when he enjoys them, right?
I think Kooper is so good at rescuing things, so maybe he is not tired at all? I bet he can give us a great show just like before.
:o
頭像
Henry_Wu
文章: 258
註冊時間: 週四 4月 12, 2007 1:23 pm

文章 Henry_Wu »

Claire3922 寫:Dear YO YO members and welcome guests,

不過當然最大的學習獲得者是你自己喔~
Kooper 是個認真的好小孩,給kooper 拍拍手咧,
大家有空多來yoyo 吧!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock, Henry,

Thanks for your encouragement.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Tonight's attendants (17):
Rock, Georgia, Hanphy, Rico, DY, Mark Liu, Lydia, Rei, Claire, Daisy, Kimberly, Luis, David Liao, Ben, Darren Lin, Kooper, Peter Hsieh

New comers (2):
DY, Kimberly

Speakers:
Lydia, Rock, Claire, Rico, Georgia, Kimberly, Ben

Thank everyone for attending the meeting tonight. You made the discussion refreshing and insightful.

I am glad to meet two senior members, Ben and Darren Lin, tonight. Both of them speak English very fluently.
Also happy to meet Georgia and Rei, both of them are quite new to me, although they are not new commers.
Last but not the least important, Kimberly and DY. Welcome on board. Looking forward to seeing you again next Wed.
最後由 Kooper 於 週四 11月 08, 2007 7:39 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

文章 Lydia »

Kooper did a very good job tonight ! He also set a good hosting example for us. :D

We all learned a lot from the article of karoshi. Maybe working overtime is a normal lifestyle for most of us, it's important to regularily evaluate ourselves for both physically and mentally. We also discussed about how to balance the workload and private life, one important aspect would be if working overtime is something we can not avoid, then we should try to find a way to search for some pleasure or fun during our work.
Bottom line is that we can work overtime, but we don't want karoshi. :twisted:

Thanks very much for Kooper's rescuing the meeting, and for all the participant's joining us tonight.

Lydia
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

What is the difference in the meaning between "overworked" and "overwork"?
I am not absolutely certain on this, since I haven't consult any book or expert so far. My instinct is often shaky at best.

If you google both of them, you will realize that the word "overworked" occurs more frequent, in a ratio of roughly 3 to 1.
A past tense of a verb is not just a past tense. That is probably the take home message of the day. "Overworked" implies the consequence of the action of "overworking" You can say "don't overwork" as an advice. If you want to discuss the phenomenon, the word "overworked" seemed to have a more encompassing quality.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章