4/12(Sat.)Explore The World by Being Couch Potatoes: TV Show

頭像
Katrina
YOYO member
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週六 11月 13, 2004 9:01 pm

4/12(Sat.)Explore The World by Being Couch Potatoes: TV Show

文章 Katrina »

Hello, it’s Katrina, who’s going to be the host on April 12. The topic is something related to entertainment and is closely linked to our daily life, such as TV shows. Almost everyone has a TV set at home to spend some of their spare time on it. In Taiwan there are over 100 channels providing different kinds of programs produced from different countries, which can be grouped into several categories such as cartoon, news, movie, drama and variety etc. It’s just like we explore the world by being couch potatoes and using one finger jumping between channels. Although there are so many channels to be chosen, some people always go through the channels from the first to the last and repeat this circle all the time. Some stick to a few channels and never switch to others. Maybe we can have some discussion about watching TV.
If you have little TV watching experience or you want to know more about TV shows before coming to the discussion, you can take a look at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_program

Questions for discussion:
Session 1
1. Please group as many TV shows as possible that you know (no matter it exists or disappears) and discuss what they are about with your group members.
2. Please provide your experience of watching your favorite TV shows regarding its content that you have ever been crazy about and what you must watch as you were/are its fan.

10-minute break

Session 2
1. Please recommend a TV show which you think is very funny/interesting/educational/weird/relaxing/attractive/time-consuming, or whatever, and convince your members to watch it. (You are allowed to change it until your members buy your idea.)
2. Give us some 10 adjectives when we talk about TV. What’s your perception of TV shows? And why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

聚會時間:2008/3/29 (星期六) 請準時。聚會2:15 pm 到 ~ 約 4:30 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:田中園 B1 (請先告知櫃檯參加YOYO活動並點餐)
地址: 北市南京東路三段303巷14弄2號
電話: 02-27181910
捷運站: 木柵線 南京東路站
走法: 出捷運南京東路站後, 順著慶城街直走 1分鐘到 "Hooters" 時, 右轉直走 50 公尺到"里豆咖啡"時, 左轉後第一條巷子再右轉走10公尺即到達 "田中園"
地圖link:http://tw.lifestyle.yahoo.com/ ... eb926bf788
低消: 90 元

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;討論完畢後可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想(feedback)。
2. 請事先閱讀討論主題相關內容以及host所提的問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 來之前請先讀一下討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。
4. 在正式加入之前(繳交可退還之保證金NT$1,000),可以先來觀摩三次。
我是一隻狸,樹上是我家 
 身隨食物飛,來去無牽掛
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

Re: 4/12(Sat.)Explore the world by being couch potatoes: TV Show

文章 sunny »

I love TV shows! Here are some supplementary vocabularies:

time slot: 時段
cameo: 大牌明星客串演出
bimbo: 頭腦簡單的女人(暗指頭腦簡單, 私生活不檢點的年輕女性)
bleep: 刪除不雅字眼(擬聲字: "嗶嗶")
groupie: 追星族
trailer: 預告片
flip / swich / jump channels: 轉台
television pilot: 電視影集的試播 (通常pilot 為影集的前幾集, 可測試市場反應 )
season finale: 電視影集的當季最後一集
censorship: 電視審查制度
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 4/12(Sat.)Explore The World by Being Couch Potatoes: TV Show

文章 Kooper »

After entering the era of cable TV programs, I gradually, but unintentionally, got into the habit of browsing through all channels all the time without really focusing on a specific program whenever watching television. I eventually realized that it might have some adverse effects on me – Excess thumb movement might put my thumb muscle at risk. Repeating the browsing procedure several times in a row before final realization that nothing is worthy of viewing is really time-consuming. Moreover, my lovable daughter’s mental demands are constantly ignored when I watch TV.

Being aware of that, I stopped cable TV service years ago. Now my thumb is no longer in jeopardy, and it only takes me seconds to go through the four wireless TV channels. But a new problem arises: I start to purchase and watch DVDs on Japanese and Korean dramas…
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

though i might not know what to say because i'm not this kind of potato, i'm really looking forward to the meeting haa.. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

The golden era of the Television is over. Audience just don't watch as much TV as they used to. The problem with TV is that they don't allow the viewers to interact with other viewers or the producer. Unlike Youtube, It is a very one-way system. Commercial interruption is also a major problem. Without a well produced commercial that grabs viewers attention, viewer will more than likely to change the channel. Nobdoy is stupid enough to watch idiotic commercials over and over again. Here is a little song and dance mocking the decline of rating or viewership in NBC during the 58th Emmys.

BTW, here is a Classic Emmy Moment that Brad Pitt don't want you to see:

NBC is a major television company that owns and produces a lot of sitcoms like Friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC

Will Youtube kill the television star like the way video killed the radio star?
Well, it depends on who you ask. Meanwhile, the owners of Youtube are laughing all the way to the bank.
"Video Killed the Radio Star" is a New Wave song released in 1979 by the British group Buggles that celebrates the golden days of radio. It tells of a singer whose career is cut short by television. The song topped several music charts and has been covered by numerous recording artists. It has also been widely parodied and utilized in popular media.

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.
Oh-a oh

They took the credit for your second symphony.
Rewritten by machine and new technology,
and now I understand the problems you can see.

Oh-a oh
I met your children
Oh-a oh
What did you tell them?

Video killed the radio star.
Pictures came and broke your heart.

Oh-a-a-a oh

And now we meet in an abandoned studio.
We hear the playback and it seems so long ago.
And you remember the jingles used to go.

Oh-a oh
You were the first one.
Oh-a oh
You were the last one.

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far
Oh-a-aho oh,
Oh-a-aho oh

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far.
Pictures came and broke your heart, put the blame on VTR.

You are a radio star.
You are a radio star.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

A trivia question for you:

What was the very first music video ever broadcast on MTV when it debuted in the U.S. in 1979?

"Video Killed The Radio Star"
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

again, i'm here to say i really had a good time today, although there were not many people in today's meeting. and i have to say it's not just because i did talk a lot but also the host is very beautiful haa 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

ORTV

文章 chiron »

Hi, Luis:
This is the club I told you on Friday night. You may ask Henry about the detail.
http://www.ortv.com.tw/chinese/ebs_c/ebs_c1.htm

Sorry, Kooper. I don't mean to advertise. :mrgreen:
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Katrina
YOYO member
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週六 11月 13, 2004 9:01 pm

文章 Katrina »

Hi, all
Thanks for the attendees in the meeting on Saturday. I really had great time after the discussion began.
You guys made the whole discussion become deeper and funny. The successful meeting should accredit your participation and contribuiton.

Host: Katrina
Attendees: Bill, Chiron, Double, Gavin, Julian, Luis, Stella, Willis
New comer: Stella- A girl with class and excellent English capability. Welcome! Hope you have fun here.

Hi, Luis
Thanks for your compliment although I thought my interesting and active host style is more impressive instead. Ha Ha.

I haven't been the host for quite a long time. The punctual issue seems become more serious.
I feel sorry that might have bad impression for new comers but there's nothing I can do as being a host.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

ah~ i forgot to say Katrina's active and interesting host style is really very impressive too.. 大家以後別稱我狗腿路易思啊 :oops:

to Chiron,
thank you for your information but i found it might be kind of religous gathering, more or less i mean.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

Luis Ko 寫:ah~ i forgot to say Katrina's active and interesting host style is really very impressive too.. 大家以後別稱我狗腿路易思啊 :oops:

to Chiron,
thank you for your information but i found it might be kind of religous gathering, more or less i mean.
I heard from Henry it has little to do with religion. Theay will act a drama each time, and hold a discussion about it. Just FYI.
Please call me Na'vi!
Bill Yu
YOYO member
文章: 129
註冊時間: 週六 10月 06, 2007 9:02 pm
來自: Earth

文章 Bill Yu »

hello,everyone

I like this meeting.
Everyone has different favorite TV show

Double recommend PRISON BREAK越獄風雲.
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/越獄
It's a great show.

I recommend some TV show.

Friends: the best sitcom
Apprentice: Donald Trump "You are fired"

Mission:Impossible 新虎膽妙算 They are greater than Tom Cruise.
MacGyver 馬蓋先 : He is the real hero.
Knight Rider 霹靂遊俠 : I love 霹靂車 夥計

I love Japanese TV show very much.

TV champion電視冠軍

Dotch cooking show 料理東西軍
I am very hungry when I watch it.
最後由 Bill Yu 於 週三 8月 18, 2010 4:40 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Bill Yu 寫:霹靂車
KITT (knight Industries Two Thousand), a mart car with artificial intelligence.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Bill Yu
YOYO member
文章: 129
註冊時間: 週六 10月 06, 2007 9:02 pm
來自: Earth

文章 Bill Yu »

hello, Wayne
Did you watch Knight Rider?
I watched it every week when I was a kid.
I love KITT (knight Industries Two Thousand) and Michael Knight.
KITT is very cool.
I wish I had a KITT.
頭像
Gavin
Vice President
文章: 238
註冊時間: 週六 12月 03, 2005 11:14 am
來自: 淡水

文章 Gavin »

Hi, Katrina:

I admire your spirit. Even though there were few people in the beginning, your hospitality still made people feel you were speaking to a huge audience.

Anyway, it is suggested to be punctual. Now that you have departured for the show, you wouldn't want to miss any part of it, right?

In the meeting, we shared the common happy memories of watching TV. Thank Katrina for the relaxing and pleasant meeting.

Gavin
回覆文章