頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

Lucky You ( 5/8 Sat. )

文章 Lydia »

Dear YOYO folks,

Usually, people like to be in good luck and hates to be in bad fortune. How often do you think you are a lucky person? And what situations will make you feel bad fortune? Do you think it is possible to create your good luck? How? Recent research has demonstrated that people can become luckier by engaging in techniques designed to help them think and behave like a lucky person. Most people may regard lucky to be spontaneous; however, it is traceable in fact. As long as you find the way to luck, you can keep it constantly. So I pick up this interesting and useful article to take everyone explore the world of "luck". (I will post it below)

Welcome everyone’s participation and feel free to bring with your lucky charms or lucky persons to share your fortunate experiences with us. We all deserve a good life. Let's put efforts to cultivate our lucky personality. Good luck to you! :D

Here come the questions:

1. Is there any connection between feeling happy and being lucky?
2. According to your experience, what things can bring you with luck most? And what kind of people or who can make you lucky most often?
3. Do you believe that lucky charms or change feng shui can bring you luck? Do you have any tips to be lucky?
4. If you open yourself to new experience, do you believe you can make your own luck? Can you give us some examples?
5. Are there any common features for those lucky persons?
6. Do you have any idea or other person's experience about how to be lucky in love?
7. Do you have any idea or other person’s experience about how to be lucky in job?
頭像
Lydia

The article "Lucky You--The 7 Secrets of good fortune&q

文章 Lydia »

Lucky You
The 7 Secrets of good fortune

By Marc Myers

Late on the night of June 16, 1997, Karen Minahan was loading a box of wires into the back of her son’s van. The 55-year-old event manager had been helping her son, an aspiring disc jockey, videotape a secondary school dance at the fairgrounds in the Puyallup, Washington. As Minahan shut the back door, a car swerved onto the road where the van was parked and hit the vehicle from behind, crushing Minahan. Incoherent, the driver backed up and hit Minahan two more times before the crowd forced the drunk driver to stop.

All of Minahan’s ribs were broken, her lungs were punctured, and her right leg had to be amputated on the spot by emergency workers. Air-lifted by helicopter to the Harbourview Medical Center’s trauma unit in Seattle, Minahan slipped into a coma that lasted almost four weeks.

The 26 operations that followed over the next four years were painful, and the loss of her leg and her job could have been devastating. But Minahan, a lifelong hard-charging optimist kept her spirits high, persuading doctors along the way to appoint her to six boards that raise money for people who need limbs. “I’ve always thought of myself as lucky and still do,” says Minahan. “Now I’ll be able to help people who are less well-off than I am.”

Like Minahan, many of us believe in luck. We carry lucky charms, wear lucky shirts and perform little rituals before important events. Fearful of jinxing their luck, Westerners won’t walk under ladders, while Chinese people avoid the number four, which they associate with death.

When life miraculously goes our ways, we assume it’s pure chance. But is it really? Winding up in the fastest –moving lane at a toll plaza may seem like serendipity, but more likely we saw the slow lanes in advance and avoided them.The same goes for finding a parking space. Didn’t you slow down a little after spotting someone taking his keys as he walked?

Experiences like these make us feel good, but only for a moment. We really want longer-lasting luck—having a fulfilling job, a mate you love, great friends, a comfortable life, peace of mind. To create such good fortune, you need to develop a “lucky personality,” a combination of attitude and behavior that attracts opportunity.

“People who seem lucky are appealing because they are effective and happy,” says Ellen Langer, a professor of psychology at Harvard. “We are drawn to them because we feel safe around them, we hope they’ll help us succeed, and maybe their luck will rub off on us.”

Think lucky and you’re more likely to be lucky. But a lot depends on how well you develop a lucky personality.

7 Secrets of Lucky People

1. Assume fate is on your side. To cultivate the right attitude, you must believe good things happen to you all the time, on just rarely, says Martin Seligman, professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of Authentic Happiness. If you perceive life’s setbacks as business as usual, you won’t bother behaving in positive ways that can change your situation. On the other hand, “if you believe you are fortunate much of the time, you are likely to exhibit behavior that makes people more responsive to you,” explains Seligman.

2. Get an emotional grip. Lucky thinking also arrests what David Lykken, professor emeritus of psychology at the University of Minnesota, calls your “happiness thieves.” These luck limiting emotions include shyness, anger, and resentment, which, he says, turn off people who otherwise would be willing to help you.

Getting these negative emotions under control will likely help you have a higher level of self-esteem, be more optimistic, and be slightly more extroverted. “It’s one thing to feel these negative emotions but another to show them,” says Raymond DePaulo, chair of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and author of Understanding Depression. “If you recognize what triggers these emotions – recognize that you can take steps to defuse or overcome them before they are expressed.”

Eric Rofes, 48, used to feel he was powerless to change his negative emotions. An education professor, Rofes says he’d automatically view the bad side of every situation. Such negative behaviour, he says, attracted others who viewed everything as “awful and hopeless,” and who had a hard time completing the academic projects they had worked on.

“I finally decided I wanted to limit the amount of negative drama going on in my life,” he says. By putting setbacks in an imaginary envelope labelled “waste of time” and brushing off negative people he came to view as “toxic,” Rofes says his attitude changed. Now he attracts positive people who have asked him to join projects that actually get finished.

3. Open your mind to opportunity. You can’t predict what fate has in store for you. But you can improve your luck by training yourself to be more trusting of people and confident that positive outcomes will result from these encounters, says John Krumboltz, professor of education and psychology at Stanford University.

For example, we often resist sharing ideas at work with colleagues for fear they’ll steal them and we won’t receive proper credit. But in truth, people who routinely share ideas are invited to participate in the critical meetings where opportunity abounds, because they are valued for their great ideas locked up, that’s exactly where they’ll stay.

“I used to believe I was hard-wired to look on the bad side of everything and distrust everyone,” says Rofes. “Now I’m more likely to be open and to hear what people have to say, which has made me more approachable and an easier target for opportunity.”

4. Think of the world as yours. You won’t improve your luck sitting at home. Embrace random events that happen to you and see their potential for improving your luck, says Krumboltz. He calls this technique “planned happenstance.” “Always keep your options open and be prepared to make mistakes,” he says. “You get more in life when you are willing to learn than by closing everything out.”

Stephanie Rice didn’t plan to meet her future husband on a New York-to –London flight in 1997. In fact, the Houston sales and marketing executive had hoped to sleep through the trip. But shortly after take-off, a man she exchanged glances with earlier came by and asked if he could sit in the empty seat next to her.

They spent the rest of the flight talking. Three years later, they were married. “Meeting Tim was lucky,” she says. But Stephanie also pushed forced myself to chat because I hoped it would lead somewhere. I believe in fate, but I also believe you make your luck if you’re open to new experience.”

5. Keep envy in check. People who obsessively compare their lives with the lives of others often wind up feeling unlucky. For example, obsessing over the good fortune of a lottery winner, someone at work who got a big promotion or a friend who’s dating a highly attractive mate can make you feel like a failure, warns Ellen Langer.

In reality, says Langer, none of these so-called strokes of good fortune guarantees happiness. Many lottery winners wind up with larger problems; promotions often lead to bigger headaches; and mismatched mates can lead to jealousy and other anxieties. What looks ideal from the outside in reality may not be ideal for you. Stay focused on your own goals and dreams.

6. Think like a “connector.” The more people you know and the more likable you are, the better your odds of becoming lucky. Malcolm Gladwell, author of The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, calls these types of people “connectors.” Most connectors are lucky, he says, because they interact with large groups of powerful people who, in turn, share information and contacts just to stay in the loop.

Most of us find it hard to create casual bonds with acquaintances. Instead, we prefer to spend our spare time with close friends. But establishing and nurturing connector relationships need not be too demanding. For example, just jotting off a birthday card or sending an e-mail with useful information can keep you connected. “If you know many different types of people, you will hear about many more opportunities,” says Gladwell. “Sociability, energy and openness breed luck.”

7. Find an upside to everything. To feel lucky, you need a positive view of the past, as well as an optimistic view of the present, says Matthew Smith, professor of psychology at Liverpool Hope University in England and co-author of a 1998 study on luck. In the study, people who claimed to be lucky tended to remember more of the good things that happened to them in life and blocked out the bad. When something bad happens to them now, Smith says they compare the event with the worst that could have happened and realise they came out ahead.

That’s certainly true for Minahan. During the darkest days following her accident, Minahan kept a special diary. At the end of each day, Minahan wrote about five positive events that occurred and left out all of the pains, physical setbacks and other negative experiences. This exercise, she says, reminded her how fortunate she was at a time when it was easy to view her situation as miserable and hopeless. “I also decided to meet the woman who hit me that night and to forgive her,” Minahan says. “To heal and move on, you have to let go.”
頭像
Lydia

文章 Lydia »

There is another article for your reference:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/72/ ... check.html
maggiewang
YOYO member
文章: 149
註冊時間: 週五 1月 23, 2004 2:59 am

文章 maggiewang »

:lol: Hi Lydia,

I really enjoyed the article. i found it is difficult to get rid of some annoying negative thoughts from time to time. Although i am trying~^.^
i really look forward to the discussing on Sat.

Maggie~ strugging with negative thought~~ :twisted:
大家一起加油吧!
頭像
Lydia

文章 Lydia »

Maggie, 妳給了我一個幸運的回應, 謝謝妳 !
其實生活中的幸運常從一個善意, 一個微笑, 一句好話開始, 一點一滴累積, 然後有一天妳會發現, 幸運早已成為妳的家人.
很高興妳喜歡這個題目, 星期六見囉 ! :)
Kate
YOYO member
文章: 389
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:41 am

文章 Kate »

這週六又要加班了....如何解釋成自己很幸運呢??
只能說這表示公司賺錢吧??!!
[麋鹿透社]台北知名的YOYO英語俱樂部,於2007年聖誕夜的特別活動中,順利找尋到V&A愛情手鐲,今年果然為該俱樂部帶來一片喜氣,不少成員找到他們的真愛,尚在尋覓中的單身成員,相信在不久的未來,也能找到屬於他們的幸福。
頭像
Lydia

文章 Lydia »

我覺得妳很幸運阿 ! (除了無法參加明天的聚會外 :wink: ) 有班可加, 公司賺錢妳就賺錢. 以妳的聰敏, 時間久了一定步步高升 !
我昨天晚上因小孩高燒不退, 加班了 一整夜, 可是今天我覺得很幸運, 因他又恢復精神了!

幸運對每個人的定義不一樣, 神奇的運氣可遇而不可求, 平凡的幸運卻比比皆是, 端看你的 " 觀點 ".
頭像
albert
YOYO member
文章: 164
註冊時間: 週日 12月 28, 2003 11:26 pm

文章 albert »

Kate: 我想...你只要想說.
現在很多人失業. 找都找不到工作.
一個 什麼 工作應徵機會 錄取率都在個位數上下...
新聞上都常在報阿...
所以有工作做.是不是也代表一種幸運呢?

每當我覺得心情不好.
就會看一部片子叫做 Cast away 中文 好像叫 劫後餘生.
是 湯姆漢克 演的. 現代 魯賓遜.
就會覺得 很多想當然耳 習慣於週遭的幸福.
其實何等珍貴...

又或者我會看看貼在牆上的 "拯救非洲兒童" 的海報.
看著 在盤旋禿鷹前的 骨瘦如材的兒童.
就會覺得自己好幸運 !!! I am Albert
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.---Albert Schweitzer 史懷哲
Kate
YOYO member
文章: 389
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:41 am

文章 Kate »

嗯...謝謝你們的鼓勵....
可是我好想坐在加州陽光,喝著去冰的奶茶,和一群好友閒話家常.......
現在只能坐在辦公室,喝著來不及變冷的溫熱白開水,對一群蟲蟲自言自語.....
[麋鹿透社]台北知名的YOYO英語俱樂部,於2007年聖誕夜的特別活動中,順利找尋到V&A愛情手鐲,今年果然為該俱樂部帶來一片喜氣,不少成員找到他們的真愛,尚在尋覓中的單身成員,相信在不久的未來,也能找到屬於他們的幸福。
wilson
YOYO member
文章: 188
註冊時間: 週四 1月 15, 2004 11:00 am
來自: Taipei

文章 wilson »

我是想租一些漫畫回家
然後聽個音樂喝個茶
這樣就很好了

我是5/26當host
雖然還很早
可是我大概是沒法去了
我下週大概會被派駐大陸
為期一段時間
不過我會先寫好主題
大概要請miky幫忙了
真是不好意思
有機會再報答你

上班族就是這樣
Kate
共勉之

另外我覺得這段時間能參加YoYo
我跟Lydia一樣心存極大的感激
Yoyo真是太棒了
勤練撞球的Wilson!
頭像
patty.liao
YOYO member
文章: 108
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 6:25 pm
來自: keelung

文章 patty.liao »

Lydia...你的主題很好喔~~只是很可惜昨天家人一同慶祝母親節出外用餐..所以來不及參加你精采的主持~~It was a pity :evil:
希望我的5/12Host之旅也有幸運之星眷顧 :twisted:

其實就像很多人的感覺~~
yoyo 不僅讓大家有機會切磋語言,激勵大家好好學習..而且又是可以分享一些心得的單純社團~~
所以能參加這樣的團體應該說是離開學校後一個很幸運的偶然 :D 很棒
頭像
Lydia

文章 Lydia »

Patty, 別擔心, 妳的題目很好, 文章也分析得很清楚. 一切都會很順利的 !

ps.可惜我星期三無法北上, 在這為妳加油 ! :D
回覆文章