7/29(Wed.) A better world without advertisement?(Host: Joey)

Jooooooey
YOYO member
文章: 27
註冊時間: 週一 11月 10, 2008 2:10 pm

7/29(Wed.) A better world without advertisement?(Host: Joey)

文章 Jooooooey »

7/29 (Wed.) Will the world be a better place without advertisement ? (Host: Joey)

Dear YOYOs:

Advertising is everywhere!

It's not your imagination. The amount of advertising and marketing has exploded around the world over the past decade. Studies show that on average we see 3,000 ads per day. On the streets, in the movie theatre, at school/home/workplace, during sporting events, on the Internet, on taxi and buses, the list never ends.

Even outer space isn't safe from commercialization: the Russian space program launched a rocket bearing a 30-foot Pizza Hut logo, and some companies have investigated placing ads in space that will be visible from earth.

Some people like advertising when it is smart, creative and funny, or when they see an advertisement for a product they have recently bought. It is generally accepted that the values of advertising are seen as follows:

1.Advertising drives economic growth and creates more job opportunities.
2.Advertising brings a better society: Advertising has proven to be an effective way to increase AIDS awareness, promote energy saving and many charity projects.
3.Advertising promotes choices: Advertising is the medium that makes customers aware of a product or service.

However, some people believe that the drawbacks of advertising outweigh its benefits. They see advertisements, especially the TV commercials, are evil, bad, intrusive and annoying. They argue that TV ads make children choose more junk foods, increasing the risk of weight gain, a new study suggests.

According to a research, 60% of respondents said their opinion of advertising was much more negative than a few years ago. 65% felt that they were consistently bombarded with much advertising.

No matter how much you like or dislike advertising, it is everywhere; you simply cannot escape it.

What can we do? Hide? Of course not, we had better come up with the next best form of ever-present intrusive advertisements. Therefore, let us check some interesting but controversial advertisements first and have some discussion with your team members.

娘家MOD – 餐飲界的科技達人

北京奧運廣告 – 恆源祥

Questions for discussion:
Part I

1)Could you describe an advertisement that you saw and that most interested you?
- What kind of advertisement was it, e.g. TV commercial, print ads, Internet Ads, radio ads or special others?
- What product or service was introduced in that advertisement?
- What did you feel about it?
2) What do you think about advertisements like「娘家」、「恆源祥」? Do you believe that they are effective and successful ads? Why or why not?
3) Do you watch commercials on TV? Or you always try your best to avoid them as possibly as you can? Please share with your team members the reasons you like or dislike the TV ads.

Part II
1)Do any advertisements persuade you to buy a product?
2)Some people believe that advertising encourages people to spend money on emotional purchase instead of basic necessity; to what extend do you agree or disagree? With the idea
3)Do you believe whether the world would be a better place without advertising?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings and free talk among members and guests /taking individual orders/getting newcomers' information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening remarks/ Newcomers self-introduction/ Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm discussion session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:15pm Regrouping & instruction giving
(Session II)
8:15 ~ 8:25pm Taking a 10 minutes break (Intermission)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm discussion session (40 mins)
9:05 ~9:25pm summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding remarks/feedback from newcomers/ announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內 聚會時間:請準時 6:45 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:丹堤復興長春店 台北市復興北路183號 地圖 (02)8712-9581
捷運南京東路站(木柵線)
走法:出捷運南京東路站後,順著復興北路往北走約3分鐘,過了長春路與復興北路交叉口之後即可看到。

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!
3. 點餐時,請記得跟店員說,你是來參加 YOYO 聚會的,可以享有小杯飲料自動升級為大杯之權益!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交可退還之保證金NT$1,000。
5. 想要參與會議的新朋友,請先跟會長 Toshi 報名,謝謝!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

Re: 7/29(Wed.) A better world without advertisement?(Host: Joey)

文章 toshi »

I enjoy TV ads. rather than TV programs or TV News.

There is one kind, so classic that I can't never forget it at all:

Another kind, no ad. is needed, I can tell just from the music:

And a kind, so touching that I can't stop my tears dropping:

And a kind, only focus on their slogan:

Also a kind, so creative that I really enjoy it:

隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Bill Yu
YOYO member
文章: 129
註冊時間: 週六 10月 06, 2007 9:02 pm
來自: Earth

文章 Bill Yu »

我看過很有趣的廣告:SOFTBANK的電信廣告, 以下是我從網路上找到的介紹

SOFTBANK是日本的電信公司,2007年他們推出了「白戶家」的一系列廣告

飾演妹妹一角的上戶彩,是整部廣告中的主要演員,在Softbank裡工作的服務人員,專門在店裡幫客戶介紹公司裡的各項產品;媽媽是樋口可南子,在家裡是一個帶著微笑的慈母,在學校裡是名校長。哥哥是一個叫Dante Carver的黑人男星,上班族,在家裡總是感覺很沒地位,總是講著「對不起」。最了不起的就是飾演爸爸的北海道犬:kai,在家是一個很有威嚴的爸爸,卻老對媽媽撒嬌,和媽媽在同一所學校,也是一個熱血教師

這一系列的廣告不僅提升了SOFTBANK的客戶使用量,也使 上戶彩 坐上廣告女王的寶座。每一支廣告都非常簡短,直接切入銷售主題「White 家族」的手機使用優惠,例如家人可享有24小時的免費通話、往外通話一律半價等等,從來不會花時間鋪陳劇情,約三十秒就結束,節奏簡單明快,而且因為是以相同主角做連續性一系列的廣告,所以在收看上造成了觀眾期待的效果,對人物的熟悉也使觀眾一下即可接受廣告的意圖。

SoftBank白戸家iPhone CM(電玩篇)中文字幕
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc_wmoXTfC4

白戶家 廣告 on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=oto ... iew=videos

SOFTBANK白戶家族的系列廣告 on softbank website
http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/special/TheWhi ... #f_gallery
Bill Yu
YOYO member

文章 Bill Yu »

Tokyo Metro(東京Metro地鐵有限公司)made advertisements every year.
I like their TV Commerical.
最後由 Bill Yu 於 週三 8月 18, 2010 3:24 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

If you had read the recent news about the upcoming election in Japan, you might have been impressed by a strategy Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) adopted recently. The ruling party released an animated cartoon on their Youtube site to attack its main rival in the campaign, namely Democratic Party:

It’s a shame that I do not understand Japanese but I googled the internet for an English translation of this video anyway:

Man: I am the one who will make you happy. Fill your life with roses. Ill take care of you, your maternity expenses, the expenses of your children, living expenses, and retirement expenses. We’ll speed into the highway of life as fast as you like.
Woman: But the money?
Man: We dont have to worry about anything once we get married.
Woman: What?

http://www.sugoistuff.net/2009/07/japan ... oes-viral/

Here is a related news:
Japan ruling party scores hit with campaign cartoon
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsMaps ... ST20090724
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Nowadays the covers of a newly-published book are often filled with positive reviews quoted from various newspapers, on-line bookstores or critics, names of the celebrities who recommend it, prizes it has won, and how well it has been sold in other areas of the world.

If I only read this information, every book looks like an unprecedented masterpiece in the publishing history, and it implies that only a fool would let the book slip through their fingers. Disappointingly, the truth is that's usually not the case.

In a bookstore it’s usually fairly difficult for me not to be persuaded into bringing home one copy of the first few books I’ve flipped through; however, the longer I stay in the bookstore, the less persuasive they become, for every book I’ve browsed are excessively touted. I get to realize, in the end, that the words publishers put on the covers of their books are just another form of advertisement.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Kooper 寫:Nowadays the covers of a newly-published book are often filled with positive reviews quoted from various newspapers, on-line bookstores or critics, names of the celebrities who recommend it, prizes it has won, and how well it has been sold in other areas of the world.

If I only read this information, every book looks like an unprecedented masterpiece in the publishing history, and it implies that only a fool would let the book slip through their fingers. Disappointingly, the truth is that's usually not the case.

In a bookstore it’s usually fairly difficult for me not to be persuaded into bringing home one copy of the first few books I’ve flipped through; however, the longer I stay in the bookstore, the less persuasive they become, for every book I’ve browsed are excessively touted. I get to realize, in the end, that the words publishers put on the covers of their books are just another form of advertisement.
It's rarely happened to me to buy something because of the advertisement.
To me the advertisement is more like the amusement!
I enjoy the video films, the printed ads. etc.
Just enjoy it!
'cos I know the purpose behind their existence.

In the bookstore, when I read those famous people's recommendations, actually I just feel nothing.
'cos I know what kinds of books I'd feel interested in. ^_^
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Bill Yu
YOYO member

文章 Bill Yu »

Mcdonalds is very good at advertising
It has many TV commerical every year.
Everyone know it's a junk food.
But TV commerical persuade people to buy it ?
It has food frying oil crisis.

Will Mcdonalds improve their oil?
I don't think so.
It will have a lot of TV commerical in the next few months.

People will forget frying oil problem very quickly and buy Mcdonalds food.

業績,難道比健康重要?
http://udn.com/NEWS/LIFE/LIF1/5044460.shtml
unfortunately, Mcdonalds think money is more important than health.

麥當勞油危機處理 派凱蒂貓救火!
http://udn.com/NEWS/LIFE/LIF1/5044442.shtml

It promotes Hello Kitty.
in fact ,it's 特別安排於油炸油事件後上檔, 轉移大眾的焦點
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

Few years ago, I am impressed on this advertisement.
I guess some people have seen it before and I dig it out from youtube

"愛情總是乾渴的 當缺少了2%"
跟它的牌子與產品做了很好的連結

它的背景音樂也很棒
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Jooooooey
YOYO member

文章 Jooooooey »

GOSH! You guys are so smart. I am a bit worried people like me, who play tricks everyday in order to encourage consumption, will lose our job soon.
:lol: :lol:
toshi 寫:
Kooper 寫:Nowadays the covers of a newly-published book are often filled with positive reviews quoted from various newspapers, on-line bookstores or critics, names of the celebrities who recommend it, prizes it has won, and how well it has been sold in other areas of the world.

It's rarely happened to me to buy something because of the advertisement.
To me the advertisement is more like the amusement!
I enjoy the video films, the printed ads. etc.
Just enjoy it!
'cos I know the purpose behind their existence.

In the bookstore, when I read those famous people's recommendations, actually I just feel nothing.
'cos I know what kinds of books I'd feel interested in. ^_^
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Jooooooey 寫:GOSH! You guys are so smart. I am a bit worried people like me, who play tricks everyday in order to encourage consumption, will lose our job soon.
:lol: :lol:
Don't worry!
Your work pleased me a lot! :lol: :lol:
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Jooooooey
YOYO member

文章 Jooooooey »

Dear Bill,

Advertisers love to aim their advertising on children because they have no built-in resistance. Nowadays, however, people are well aware of the impact of advertisements, as a consequence, more and more big companies have decided to reduce media campaigns on Junk food for demostrating they care about "Corporate Social Responsibility".

Check the article on New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/business/18food.html

I have to say you are a good observer.
In the fact, what McDonalds' has done was about PR crisis management (PR=Public relations). They couldn't avoid the crisis in the first place, what they can do is to try the best efforts to diminish the damages before they escalate. The first step is to resolve crisis issue by creating a new topic; therefore, marketing campaigns such as sales promtions together with advertising, without any doubts, would be one of the most effective vehicles to distract attention from oil problem.
:D

If I guess rightly they will probably spend more budgets on charity programmes, for example, 麥當勞叔叔之家 again, followed by advertisements, or sponsor to some health related projects to refurbish their brand image.
Bill Yu 寫:Mcdonalds is very good at advertising
It has many TV commerical every year.
Everyone know it's a junk food.
But TV commerical persuade people to buy it ?
It has food frying oil crisis.

Will Mcdonalds improve their oil?
I don't think so.
It will have a lot of TV commerical in the next few months.

People will forget frying oil problem very quickly and buy Mcdonalds food.

業績,難道比健康重要?
http://udn.com/NEWS/LIFE/LIF1/5044460.shtml
unfortunately, Mcdonalds think money is more important than health.

麥當勞油危機處理 派凱蒂貓救火!
http://udn.com/NEWS/LIFE/LIF1/5044442.shtml

It promotes Hello Kitty.
in fact ,it's 特別安排於油炸油事件後上檔, 轉移大眾的焦點
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Attendance Figures: 32

- Host: Joey

- Participants: Amy Lin, Andrew, Ariel Huang, beef Lin, Betty Liu, Carrie, Cindy Lin, Claire, Danial Ka, Desi Lin, Fen Tsai, Fred, Gavin, Iverson, Ivy, Jessie Hsiao, JJ, Julian, Kooper, Leon, Luis, Michael Liu, Neil Hsieh, Peter, Robert Chao, Rock, Sherry Liao, Toshi, Vic Wang

- New Comer: Mandy Li, Victor Yu

Meeting Venues: (To see more photos, please access to our YOYO photo album)
RIMG0119-2.jpg
RIMG0131-2.jpg
RIMG0132-2.jpg
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Words and expressions used in group two over session one:

滑倒: slip and fall

肥皂劇: soap opera; soap

容易朗朗上口的: A catchy tune or phrase is easy to remember.

成功電視廣告的要素: the ingredients of a successful commercial

置入性廣告: product placement

知名品牌 name brand: a popular and well-known product name

save sth for a rainy day: to save sth, especially money, for a time in the future when you might need it
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Hello Kitty does have a mouth in the animation!
To Answer the question we mentioned during the discussion.

隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
回覆文章