10/31(Sat.) Does school kill creativity? (Host:Stephen Chiu)

頭像
Iverson
YOYO member
文章: 164
註冊時間: 週四 1月 15, 2009 11:25 am

Re: 10/31(Sat.) Does school kill creativity? (Host:Stephen Chiu)

文章 Iverson »

Gloria Lo 寫:I don’t remember any school teachers advised me to steer away from things I liked. But, decades ago, when I was an elementary school student and really enjoyed making an excavator for schoolwork, my father persuaded me not to spend much time in making artworks. “You won’t earn a living by that.” He said.
Dear Gloria,

I had the same "You don't earn a living by that" experience back in primary school.
In my final year in elementary school, one Saturday morning, I won the championship of school's 1500m race.
I went home and told my father during lunch.
My father responded:"問動模粗脫".
All of a sudden, life turned from colorful to black and white.

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Iverson 寫:
Gloria Lo 寫:I don’t remember any school teachers advised me to steer away from things I liked. But, decades ago, when I was an elementary school student and really enjoyed making an excavator for schoolwork, my father persuaded me not to spend much time in making artworks. “You won’t earn a living by that.” He said.

Dear Gloria,

I had the same "You don't earn a living by that" experience back in primary school.
In my final year in elementary school, one Saturday morning, I won the championship in school's 1500m race. I went home and told my father during lunch. My father responded:"問動模粗脫".

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
Dear Iverson,
I'm glad that you still maintain your hobbie of sports.
What's the meaning of:"問動模粗脫"?
:roll: Do you feel grateful for your father or not (now)?

Gloria
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Gloria Lo 寫:
Iverson 寫: Dear Gloria,

In my final year in elementary school, one Saturday morning, I won the championship in school's 1500m race. I went home and told my father during lunch. My father responded:"問動模粗脫".

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
Dear Iverson,
I'm glad that you still maintain your hobbie of sports.

Gloria
問動模粗脫 means 運動無出息
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

文章 stephen185 »

Iverson 寫:
Dear Gloria,

In my final year in elementary school, one Saturday morning, I won the championship of school's 1500m race.
I went home and told my father during lunch.
My father responded:"問動模粗脫".

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
Dear Iverson,

From your translation of your father's words from Taiwanese to Chinese, I can see you have a shining creativity :wink:

Stephen
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

stephen185 寫:Toshi,

Glad to hear that you like this speech too. And I would love to hear your ideads more about the topic during this coming meeting. Actually, my topic is somewhat related to the topic Maggie hosted for last Saturday.She brought a book, " What I Wish I Know When I was 20" (by Tina Seelig), in which Ms. Seelig gives several examples of the creativity project in her classes at Standford university. I wish I'd read this book when I was 20.

Stephen
I will attend to the meeting!
Maybe I will share my own experience to you. ^_^

The book sounds interesting!
Hope I will have a chance to read it!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Even if the school didn't kill it, it is often the parents that put the final nails in the coffin.
But all is not lost.
There are plenty of time to remedy the situation.
Creativity isn't that easy to kill.
That doesn't mean it is easy to provide a nurturing environment.
Governments all over the world are trying to figure the magic formula to foster it.
Few simple encouragements here and there aren't enough.
At certain point creativity or the discussion of creativity ceases to be a child-play.
The problem is that it is difficult to distinguish promising creativity from those that aren't so.
Everybody knows the cost of betting on the wrong creativity can be detrimental.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

文章 stephen185 »

Here are the attendees of the meeting,
Member:
Iverson,Amy,Gavin,Luis,Eddie,Janet,Gloria,Leon,Toshi,Laura,David Jr.,Julian,Double,
Michael,Masashi,Bernd,Allen

New comer: Christy Wu

I would like to express my appreciation to all the attendees today for we together completed an informative meeting with tremendous enthusiasm and vibrant laughter.
You guys are wonderful!!

Stephen
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Words and Expressions 1031 2009

文盲: an illiterate person; illiteracy
(學科)被當掉: get flunked
訓導主任: director of discipline
翹課: cut class/school; play truant
學長/學姊: male/female senior schoolmate
布袋戲: Taiwanese puppetry
武俠小說: wu-shu novel; gong fu story; novel about swordsmen and their chivalry
操性成績: grade in moral conduct
試用期: probation (period); try-out period
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

stephen185 寫:Here are the attendees of the meeting,
Member:
Iverson,Amy,Gavin,Luis,Eddie,Janet,Gloria,Leon,Toshi,Laura,David Jr.,Julian,Double,
Michael,Masashi,Bernd,Allen

New comer: Christy Wu

I would like to express my appreciation to all the attendees today for we together completed an informative meeting with tremendous enthusiasm and vibrant laughter.
You guys are wonderful!!

Stephen
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for bringing the projector & your NB.
We all enjoyed your well-prepared show!
Sorry we don't have these equipments for you.
Although I consider both of them are required equipments, we don't have the budget to buy them right now.
Some people might question that maybe no one will use these equipments.
But I believe that there will always be some hosts who take their hosting so seriously like you.
Having the equipments will encourage our hosts to diversify their hosting!
And I do believe so!

Thank you! ^_^

Toshi
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Iverson
YOYO member
文章: 164
註冊時間: 週四 1月 15, 2009 11:25 am

文章 Iverson »

Gloria

Dear Gloria,

I am glad you asked, since Toshi answered "問動模粗脫", I am more than happy to answer another one.
At that monent (I was 12) I felt disappointed, frustrated, and discouraged while heard "問動模粗脫".
Nowadays, I take every opportunity to tell my parents that I reallly appreciate what they have contributed to our family.
They don't spend money on personal hobbies, instead, they encourage us to study abroad without worrying about tuition.
In some ways, my father is my role model.

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Iverson 寫:What's the meaning of:"問動模粗脫"?

Gloria

Dear Gloria,

I am glad you asked, since Toshi answered "問動模粗脫", I am more than happy to answer another one.
At that monent (I was 12) I felt disappointed, frustrated, and discouraged while heard "問動模粗脫".
Nowadays, I take every opportunity to tell my parents that I reallly appreciate what they have contributed to our family.
They don't spend money on personal hobbies, instead, they encourage us to study abroad without worrying about tuition.

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
Iverson
My parents are also like yours, save any penny for the next generation. They don't know anything about luxury.
And like this "問動模粗脫" kind of education concept is their best way to survive in the future in their eyes, I respect it very much.
Just like Luis said, "Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind."

Sincerely,
Gloria
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Iverson 寫: Dear Gloria,

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
Dear Iverson,

You should try to encourage your parents to enjoy their own life!
When I was a undergraduate student, I studied in Chung-Li. And one of my brothers studied in Hsin-Chu.
To my parents, it seems they lost two kids in a sudden. 'cos my brother and I, we didn't go home often.
Whenever I went back home, they seemed has so much thing to talk to me, you know including too much worry.
At that time I recognized that they need their own life! Not just paying all their attention to kids!
I started encouraging them to climb mountain.
Starting from the local mountain hills near my home, they went climbing almost everyday!
Then they made many friends who like hiking and mountain climbing.
Later on, they started climbing those 百岳.
Up to now, they have visited more than 40 百岳!
So, whenever I went back home, they always told me how much fun they have experienced in the mountain.
Showing me so many beautiful photos they took in the mountain.
You know, I am really so happy for them. 'cos they found something they feel interested in!
They do have their own life! It's not a luxury but a happy & healthy life!
(The side effect is that, they are no longer only paying attention on kids! It's great for me too! haha :P )

Try it! It's never too late to enjoy the life! ^_^
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Iverson 寫: At that monent (I was 12) I felt disappointed, frustrated, and discouraged while heard "問動模粗脫".
Nowadays, I take every opportunity to tell my parents that I reallly appreciate ...
Dear Iverson,

Actually, your father gave you a good opinion. You see, there's this PE teacher in my school, Tsai Ichen, who used to be a national record holder in 100m (10.44") and 200m dash (21.17"). He also represented Taiwan to win the fourth place in Asian Games of 1989. But all he won in the end was just a teaching job in a junior high. Besides, he doesn't enjoy sports and he doesn't do exercises anymore because he worked too hard before. Who knows, maybe your father has saved both your career and precious habits in some way.

Yours sincerely
Rock
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Rock 寫:
Iverson 寫: At that monent (I was 12) I felt disappointed, frustrated, and discouraged while heard "問動模粗脫".
Nowadays, I take every opportunity to tell my parents that I reallly appreciate ...
Dear Iverson,

Actually, your father gave you a good opinion. You see, there's this PE teacher in my school, Tsai Ichen, who used to be a national record holder in 100m (10.44") and 200m dash (21.17"). He also represented Taiwan to win the fourth place in Asian Games of 1989. But all he won in the end was just a teaching job in a junior high. Besides, he doesn't enjoy sports and he doesn't do exercises anymore because he worked too hard before. Who knows, maybe your father has saved both your career and precious habits in some way.

Yours sincerely
Rock
Parents in America will never dismiss any sort of athletic achievement.
Even college admission offices take athletic achievement into consideration.
The spirit of athleticism goes beyond the boundary of an arena.
The value of physical and especially mental dexterity can not be overstated.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章