06/09(Tue.)About Time Management(Host:Sabrina)

回覆文章
Sabrina Sung
YOYO member
文章: 46
註冊時間: 週三 2月 11, 2004 1:06 pm
聯繫:

06/09(Tue.)About Time Management(Host:Sabrina)

文章 Sabrina Sung »

Dear YOYOs

Time Management is so important for everyone, let us enjoy these videos and discuss next Tue.

Season 1 :

source :How to Manage Your Time Better

Questions for discussion:

1. Do you feel that time management is important? Why or why not? Please tell us your opinion.
2. Do you agree this video’s solution? Which one is the best one and which one you don’t agree with? Could you share the other good methods to us?
3. How do you manage your time? Do you always feel that you have insufficient time? If yes, how will you do to improve?

Season 2 :

Source : How to stop procrastination

Questions for discussion:

1. Do you always procrastinate? If yes, please let us know your reason. If not, please tell us how you can do.
2. Do you hate the procrastinated people? How long can you bear for waiting? What is the worst reason you had heard?
3. Who is the worst one you can’t bear he/she (family, co-workers, spouse……) procrastinate? Which was the worst situation he/she had done? Do you have any good methods to help them to stop?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 與會者請自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請務必先看過演講影片,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 06/09(Tue.)About Time Management(Host:Sabrina)

文章 Iris Wu »

Should we "Always put off till tomorrow what you can put off today" or should we stop procrastinating?
If you were Rock's boss, what would you do to make him stop procrastinating? :)

Notes:
"Always put off till tomorrow what you can put off today" is Rock's motto.
Sabrina Sung
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 Sabrina Sung »

bonus question: according to this video, men seem likely to wait women before going out. Do you agree that women tend to procrastinate more than men? Please tell us your opinion :lol:
source:男女上班前的2小時
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

It's so kind of your grace to remind people my motto. Actually, I learned this from an old friend who coined this sentence of wisdom out of his three master's degrees. :lol: I am stupid, but he is not at all.

Let me interpret it more because I like these words so much.

The original one is "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today" which is inspiring, but actually impossible if I really want to follow it. There are so many jobs to do, so many things to learn, so many songs unsung and so much joy yet to experience. How is it possible not to put off anything, especially things boring and meaningless? It's true I procrastinate paper works in my office quite often, but my boss hardly says anything. One of the good things working in a school is the respect of intellect, and I am intellectually diligent-- as you can see now, I have to delay so many things to stay here, lugging my silly ideas in broken English, yet I persist. If you're still reading, you have also put off something to get into this business, and I thank you so much. :P

In great determination, ALWAYS put off what we can, and should, till tomorrow. Because there are still better things to do in this boring and tedious world. :|And I haven't given it up yet.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

To be honest, I like Rock's motto, too, but as I said this many times, coming to YoYo, one fun thing is to express our thoughts from all different angles just for the sake of practicing English.
I probably constantly play "devil's advocate", just to stimulate more discussion, not necessarily I am taking one side over the other.

Life is about choices. Right, we cannot do everything, we just have to pick things to put off and set some others for higher priority. At the end of the day, it is how you feel about your choices. :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Sorry, your majesty, but I was only kidding. Gotta find a way to correct my laziness in no time, as a matter of fact. :lol:
Sabrina Sung
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 Sabrina Sung »

Rock 寫:...In great determination, ALWAYS put off what we can, and should, till tomorrow. Because there are still better things to do in this boring and tedious world. :|And I haven't given it up yet.
As the advertisement said "生命就該浪費在美好的事物" :mrgreen:
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Rock 寫:Sorry, your majesty, but I was only kidding. Gotta find a way to correct my laziness in no time, as a matter of fact. :lol:
最後由 Michael-liu 於 週三 6月 10, 2015 1:54 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Sabrina Sung
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 Sabrina Sung »

Many thanks for coming, especially Tina :)

Attendees : Iris Amy Light Blithe Jason Liwen James Wen-hen Rock Michael Wendy Morris Tina Sabrina(host)
Speakers:
season 1 : Blithe Amy Tina
season 2 : Liwen Jason Light
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Some words/expressions jogged down during the discussion:

學長: I am not able to find the exact terms to describe 學兄學姐.
  • Senior/Junior: Usually refers to the last two years in high school or in college/university.
    “upperclassmen”: a student in the third or fourth year of high school or college
    After graduated, young alumni and old alumni may be closer to our broader definition of 學弟妹/學長?
Anyone knows better terms to describe 學長?

Juggle/Juggling: 雜耍, 窮於應付
  • To toss and catch (two or more objects) so that at least one of them is in the air at all times.
    The juggler is juggling with plates and balls.
  • to handle or deal with usually several things (as obligations) at one time
    She managed to juggle a full-time job and homemaking.
    It can be hard to juggle family responsibilities and the demands of a full-time job.
Low-hanging fruit: an idiom for 容易達成的目標
  • Urban Dictionary: Targets or goals which are easily achievable and which do not require a lot of effort.
    To manage a complex project, I would tackle the low-hanging fruit first.
從待辦清單中劃掉:
  • Cross off an item from the To Do list.
    Check the item off your To Do list.
    Mark a task Complete in your To Do list
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Iris Wu 寫:
學長: I am not able to find the exact terms to describe 學兄學姐.
  • Senior/Junior: Usually refers to the last two years in high school or in college/university.
    “upperclassmen”: a student in the third or fourth year of high school or college
    After graduated, young alumni and old alumni may be closer to our broader definition of 學弟妹/學長?

Anyone knows better terms to describe 學長?

This is an interesting question I have been longing to find out the answer.

As far as I know, there's no counterpart for 學兄學姐.

An American elder lady friend once spoke to me that she was "ahead of him (her husband)", which I believed she meant "她比他早畢業/就讀年級至少高一屆".
Based on this, I was wondering if we could say "someone ahead of my class" for 學長. Note that this expression covers those who have already graduated from school and those who are are still in school.

As for 學弟學妹, I am not sure if we could say "someone behind my class". I thin this expression is hardly heard of.

Meanwhile, "upperclassman" refers to a student who is in his junior year or senior year in high school or in college; "lowerclassman" refers to a freshman or sophomore in high school or college. Therefore, if you are a senior, you must not call a junior a lowerclassman; if you are a freshman, you must not call a sophomore an upperclassman.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
回覆文章