11/7 ( Sat ) Two popular TED talks (Host : Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

11/7 ( Sat ) Two popular TED talks (Host : Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Two popular TED talks by Bryan Stevenson and Chris Lonsdale

For Session One

https://tw.voicetube.com/videos/3058

The video is integrated to VoiceTube with transcript.

The topic is a discussion about “injustice” which is a kind of serious one. let’s see how Bryan Steveson impressed each audience without using slideshow, photo and break the record accepting applause from the audience.

For Session Two

https://tw.voicetube.com/videos/11466

The video is integrated to VoiceTube with transcript.

The topic is talking about “learn any language in six months” which sounds like a challenge most people won’t really take and could be boring and too technical.
Let’s see how Chris Lonsdale present it in a concise way and exictes the audience to try.

Questions for Discussion

Session One:

1. What would you think of the core concept(s) of the talk? And do you agree?

2. How do you think about those two sentences about “death penalty”:

Do people deserve to die for the crimes they’ve commited V.S. Do we deserve to kill

Will these two ways of thinking finally come to different result or they could finally fall on the common ground?

3. Why the talk becomes so charming and got huge donation (USD $1000,000) even without using slideshow or photo? Any inspiration for you?

Session Two:

1. Do you think the structural leaning method presented by Chris inspires you and could work for you? Why?

2. In addition to the need for work, what’s the value for you to pick a language and if you could, which language you want to be good at the most? Also Why?

3. for the tips proposed and explained by Chris, do you think they are complete and sufficient? Or do you think some of them may not be easy to put into practice and need to be revised or join more comments?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 11/7 ( Sat ) Two popular TED talks (Host : Tashi)

文章 Iris Wu »

Injustice, this is going to be controversial.

I have to admit the speaker is good at making a speech, the fun and inspiring granny's story about “the power of identity”, the statistics illustrating his points of “racial and wealth injustice” issues, and the words used to lure people to sympathize the people in death row, the juveniles, and the inmates due to the high percentage of errors, misjudgment, and discrimination involved, and how the whole society is ignoring the human rights and basic dignity for these individuals. All this sounds very touching and inspiring and the audience did get lured to donate significant amount of money for the causes he brought up.

But to be honest, I probably dissent from some of his viewpoints/arguments. First, using statistics can always be bias. The ratio to put one person into death row and actually execute the capital punishment is rarely low and the cost is sky high. Who deserves to kill the killers and who deserves to kill the victims? That is a never ending debate. We can always take our stand about death penalty from a pure victim who did not deserve to die and the “innocent killer” who were inaccurately accused, and there will always be arguments. The result is the whole society pays. For that reason, I would say, OK, forget about death penalty, but have the killer work to death to pay back to the victim's family.

More about his viewpoints regarding racial discrimination, the poor and the disadvantage, his arguments all seem to be sensational, but the reality and the causes deserve to be examined more carefully. Basically, we should respect each individual with humanity, but each individual needs to act as a true huam being to deserve the respect and effort.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

well said, Iris.

to me it's a specious argument, again. 8)

when it comes to democracy, freedom of speech, human rights or justice sort of things, people tend to get high thinking it's a right thing to support, otherwise they are not fashionable, oh, i mean guess most of people take the aforementioned ideas for granted so, they might, consciously or unconsciously, think they will be wrong, weak, inhuman or what if they show their disapproval. however, they might not think about there's a bottom line that these kind of concepts just can't be unconditioned, and those principles should be examined on a case-by-case basis. simply put, some people, more often than not, just jump on the bandwagon using it as a rhetoric to advocate what they want, and most of people easily buy it and follow the trend without any hesitation, i would say. ok, maybe i haven't used some words accurately in explaining my point clearly. anyway, this is my opinion lo~ :mrgreen:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:... Basically, we should respect each individual with humanity, but each individual needs to act as a true human being to deserve the respect and effort.
Totally agree.

Anyway, it's not likely that we can build a death penalty system which is 100% innocent free. As long as a death row prisoner is a bully for sure, s/he can be executed. Even if it turns out to be a mistake, I won't feel sorry for them. Justice is for people who are just. For those who treat others unfairly, why do we have to be so careful about treating them fairly or not?
混蛋!壞人都去死啦! :evil:
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Thank you for all attendees joining Sat's meeting. Please feel free to advise me for the first host experience.

Attendees:

Leo
Andy
Wendy
Kat
Julian
Leon
Catherine
Iris Wu
Tom Lee
Blithe
Laura