3/15(Tue) Attractiveness Does Affect Scores... (Host:Kooper)

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 3/15(Tue) Attractiveness Does Affect Scores... (Host:Koo

文章 Iris Wu »

Luis Ko 寫:agree!! then again, i just DOUBT that she really knows it's pointless haaa~ :lol:
Hey, Luis, it seems that you were questioning her intelligence! :wink:
Luis Ko 寫:by the way, as to the sentence, "To determine attractiveness, the researchers established each rater’s baseline bias before showing the photos, which was later subtracted from the ratings assigned to each participant.", i really don't get the situation that the bias is subtracted from the ratings assigned to participants. why is it assigned to participants? the ratings are supposed to be on students, aren't it? what is the exact situation here? @@
As Rock said, you've got it right. I think the author got herself confused about the terminologies, "participants" in this project are supposedly the "raters", but here, I think she meant to say those "students". You can see the research method used in the original research paper ("STUDENT APPEARANCE AND ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE", Section 3.2: "Methodology" explains how the raters/participants worked in this project and how they (the researchers) normalized the rater's bias factor to ensure the "inter-rater reliability"):
https://www.google.com.tw/url?sa=t&rct= ... wl2woLnBag

(Notes: We are not interested in this research, but just for the sake of answering your question. :) )
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:You got me.... Sigh, it's hard to defend someone who is cute and cum laude. I guess I could write something similar to her article now. :lol:
You meant to say "it's hard NOT to defend someone who is cute and cum laude", right? :)
Rock 寫:Hey, Iris, long time no see.
I became "MIA" for only two weeks; it wasn't really that long!
Too crowded, I was trying to make room for newcomers, like Janice, remember her? We invited her over! :)
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Iris Wu 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:agree!! then again, i just DOUBT that she really knows it's pointless haaa~ :lol:
Hey, Luis, it seems that you were questioning her intelligence! :wink:
Luis Ko 寫:by the way, as to the sentence, "To determine attractiveness, the researchers established each rater’s baseline bias before showing the photos, which was later subtracted from the ratings assigned to each participant.", i really don't get the situation that the bias is subtracted from the ratings assigned to participants. why is it assigned to participants? the ratings are supposed to be on students, aren't it? what is the exact situation here? @@
As Rock said, you've got it right. I think the author got herself confused about the terminologies, "participants" in this project are supposedly the "raters", but here, I think she meant to say those "students". You can see the research method used in the original research paper ("STUDENT APPEARANCE AND ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE", Section 3.2: "Methodology" explains how the raters/participants worked in this project and how they (the researchers) normalized the rater's bias factor to ensure the "inter-rater reliability"):
https://www.google.com.tw/url?sa=t&rct= ... wl2woLnBag

(Notes: We are not interested in this research, but just for the sake of answering your question. :) )
thank you for your information, Iris.

right, you are right. at the end of the day, i somehow think what she has written somewhat justifies the conclusion of the research haaa~ :p

:lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Here are some more discussions quoted verbatim from YOYO Line group.

Michael: Kat, there is a sentence in kooper's topic, "my bone structure didn’t help me learn Latin conjugations any more in college than my boobs helped me master syntax in graduate school." What does this sentence mean?

Wen-han: per my understanding, it could mean her physical attractiveness didn't help achieve her academical success at all

Michael: Right, that is my understanding too, just to confirm with Kat

Luis: by the way, bone structure here might also mean appearance lo.. not body figure.. maybe

Tina: I know bone structure means appearance.

Kat: Hi Michael, it's good to see the article getting people going. :) To understand how most articles are written for the American magazines / websites / blogs today we have to know two things first: 1) a humorous tone taken, especially with the closing line, is popular with the readers and editors alike; 2) the trend for even non-fiction or journalistic writing is to make it “personal.” Now, for this particular article, it's tricky to make fun of a finding on gender bias (since it's definitely a bad thing), or to share a personal experience when you're not really the worst “victim” in the context of the study.

But the author still wishes to take on the report and write about it, and that's okay. I just find issues with her insisting she didn't feel that she had gotten any advantage from being (or trying to be) attractive. It's a basic understanding of modern behavioral science that when doing research, the findings come from empirical evidence and representative sampling. Any “anecdotal experience,” no matter how true, personal, or moving, simply is not scientifically representative. The study has been peer-reviewed and published, and any disputes should come from another study through the same vigorous process. In short, the study has found that women like her benefit from being attractive in a society that rewards female beauty, regardless of whether she personally “felt” it or not.

To be fair, the author couldn't really just write about how “plain women get short changed” because: 1) it'd just be boring and cliched since it confirms a common assumption; 2) she's not ugly and can't really relate. So I guess she did what she could with the topic. :)

Kat: Hi Michael, I missed the question on the sentence. It means neither helped with her study, because she still needed to use her brain and put in hard work. On “bone structure”, it makes for nice features (like a tall nose and cheeks as most people prefer) or figure (like a tall frame or nice legs). She missed the point of the study, of course. She may have to do the work, but the grades she got were probably better than a less attractive student who accomplished the same work might have gotten.

Michael: Yes, i agree that she missed the point of the study, good point, haha, thanks. By the way. Kat, I thought she was being sarcastic when she said "whatever, at the end of the day, there are worse things a woman can be than cute and cum laude" I think I was wrong

Kat: The good expression to learn here is “any more than,” used to argue that something is as true or false as something else. Examples: “So far it seems unlikely that the Irish Name Effect will pay off for one Martin O’Malley, any more than it did for the new Mr. O’Brien, who dropped out of his race.” (New York Times) “Trump is not a genuine politician any more than James Bond is a real British agent.” (That's my line. :D) She's trying to be funny, not sarcastic. :)
回覆文章