(3/22, Tue) Is slum tourism ethical? (Host: Rock)

頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

(3/22, Tue) Is slum tourism ethical? (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Is slum tourism in India ethical?
http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/ar ... s?page=all

"Welcome to Dharavi, the biggest slum in Asia. My name is Ravi and I’ll be your tour guide today.”

I was confused. I knew slums existed, but I wasn’t sure that doing a day trip around one was OK. It sounded like paying to ogle poverty. Yet tours like this are becoming more common – following favela visits in Rio and township tours in Cape Town, you can now visit the sprawling slums of Mumbai.

The company that runs these trips – Reality Tours and Travel – is keen to assert its responsible credentials: 80% of profits go to local charities, groups are limited to five people and photography is forbidden. But did that really change anything, or did it just assuage my guilt about doing something pretty grotty?

“Follow me, please, and watch where you step. There’s a lot of rubbish,” Ravi said as he disappeared into a gap between two shops.

The gap turned out to be what passed for a street in Dharavi – a narrow alley piled with rubbish. But to my surprise I realised that the rubbish wasn’t accumulated filth – it was neatly piled, awaiting recycling.

Ravi took us into one of the recycling businesses, where old bottles, buckets and milk crates are cleaned, melted, dyed, then sold to be turned into umbrella handles and plastic dinosaurs. The shop floor was tiny – two narrow rooms processing just 600kg of recycled plastic a day. We climbed up onto its roof and looked out over the slum. All around was a hotchpotch of shanties, each tin roof bearing a mountain of old paint cans, plastic chairs or sacks of empty shampoo bottles.

“Dharavi houses about a million people in 1.7 sq km,” Ravi told us. “Yet it is full of small-scale industries like the one downstairs. This slum has an annual turnover of US$665 million (£330 million).”

According to its website, Reality Tours’ goal is to show that Dharavi isn’t just about poverty and hardship, but about ‘enterprise, humour and non-stop activity’. After the plastic recyclers, we went on to visit a cloth-dyer, a sheepskin factory and some friendly bakers in a tiny, sweaty basement.

We even went into one room where a huge vat sat bubbling full of disgusting brown gunge – old face creams and beauty products were being boiled to make huge bars of soap. And wherever we went faces were smiling, people were friendly. Kids mobbed us to practise their English. The locals seemed as intrigued by us as we were by them.

I certainly felt welcome in Dharavi and the tour challenged some of my admittedly simplistic assumptions about slums. People don’t sit around all day bemoaning their lot and looking glum; they get on with going to work, playing in the street, gossiping in doorways, smiling, laughing, crying – in other words, they do all the things we all do, wherever we live.

And as for worrying about invading their privacy, that was actually a case of me imposing my Western values on them. In Dharavi, people live on top of each other, as they do in much of India. There was no privacy to invade.

But the tour left me with doubts. The people seemed happy and hard working. And that’s the problem: as on all tours, we were shown a snapshot chosen to illustrate a certain point – namely that Dharavi wasn’t just grim and depressing, but was a place of energy and industry.

We also saw open sewers and babies with swollen bellies, whole families crammed into the tiniest of rooms, and alleys flooded with unspeakable black filth. Sometimes the streets became so narrow that the buildings above met, leaving the residents in perpetual night.

The point was that this is a slum and it faces all the same problems as other slums – lack of safe water, security and decent jobs.

Even that impressive figure of US$665 million doesn’t bear close scrutiny. Share it between a million people and that’s just US$665 per person – less than one-fifth of the national average wage in India.

So is it OK to go on a slum tour? Dharavi isn’t the worst place to live. But it’s not good enough, either. Travel is all about getting under the skin of a place. You can only do this for yourself, so go on the slum tour. Just remember: in Dharavi, it’s easy to be fooled by what’s on the surface.

Questions for discussion

Session One

Warm-up: Have you traveled to poor areas? Where are they? Please share what you saw, how you felt, what you did and what you learned there with us.

1. Is slum tourism ethical?
2. Why people take slum tours? Do you think “slum tourism” is patronizing or social enlightenment? Why so?
3. For people who despise the slum tours and claim they(the tours) are voyeuristic and exploitative, and spend time on a beach, enjoy fancy food cuisine and pretend that slums don't exist, do you think that make them more paragon of virtue? Why or why not?
4. What benefits can be obtained by both slum tourists and the dwellers in slums? How can the slum tour operators create win-win situation?

Session Two
5. I always hear people say that we should go to those poor areas, such as India, in person to know how poor it really is. do you agree? why?
6. Can kids learn anything from slum tours? Would you bring your kids there? What would you do if you took your kids there?
7. I cannot recall that I've read anything about slums in my old textbooks. How about you? Have you learned anything about poverty, economic disparity and slums at school? Should we put these topics into our education? Why and why not?
8. What would you do if more and more poor people were moving into your neighborhood, and your community is getting like a slum? Would you welcome them, keep a distance, or flee?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 與會者請自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請務必先看過演講影片,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Rock 於 週一 3月 21, 2016 10:02 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re: (3/22, Tue) Is slum tourism ethical? (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Questions Wanted!!!

I'm not being lazy (Maybe I am? :shock: ) But we talked about a possible way to build the questions for discussion. To the following people, Luis, Kooper, Gloria, Michael, Wendy, Tina, Iris, Sherry, Toshi, Tashi, Tom, Janice, Steve, Steven, Ryan, Joseph, Morris... and all others who sees this post, would you please think of a question and post it here , be it normal or crazy, for our reference? Thanks in advance.

(Some people said that British don't thank people in advance, though)
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Rock 寫:Questions Wanted!!!

I'm not being lazy (Maybe I am? :shock: ) But we talked about a possible way to build the questions for discussion. To the following people, Luis, Kooper, Gloria, Michael, Wendy, Tina, Iris, Sherry, Toshi, Tashi, Tom, Janice, Steve, Steven, Ryan, Joseph, Morris... and all others who sees this post, would you please think of a question and post it here , be it normal or crazy, for our reference? Thanks in advance.

(Some people said that British don't thank people in advance, though)
Then there will be more than 17 questions for discussion ...
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Wow! You are good at counting, 東芝さん。 :lol: Yes, 17 questions would be exciting.
最後由 Rock 於 週五 3月 18, 2016 2:26 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Rock 寫:Wow! You are good at counting, 東芝さん。 :lol: Yes, that would be exciting.
The title itself is a good question for discussion. :lol:
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

What a lazy host! :P

OK, let me be a lazy responder and give you some homework, too!
Please correct, edit following questions and only use what is appropriate for your session. :)

1. Why people take slum tours? Do you think “slum tourism” is patronizing or social enlightenment? Why so?

2. For people who despise the slum tours and claim they(the tours) are voyeuristic and exploitative, and spend time on a beach, enjoy fancy food cuisine and pretend that slums don't exist, do you think that make them more paragon of virtue? Why or why not?

3. What benefits can be obtained by both slum tourists and the dwellers in slums? How can the slum tour operators create win-win situation?

Notes:
  • Patronizing: speaking or behaving towards someone as if they are stupid or not important
    Enlightenment: the state of understanding something
    voyeur: A person who watches other people's private lives
    exploitative: using someone unfairly for your own advantage
    Paragon of Virtue: A moral of excellence and moral goodness
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

ha~ my question has somewhat been said by Iris, what can people really get after they join the tour?

by the way, i always hear people say that we should go to those poor areas, such as India, in person to know how poor it really is. do you agree? why? personally i don't agree.. :drink:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

Hello, Rock,

your article and creative questions are nearly perfect. :ssmile: :ssmile: :ssmile:

My question is why you could po youtube windows on forum, but I could not do as linking only concerns my last hosting?!!

I had try [youtube]xxxxxxx[/youtube], huh. :twisted:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4090
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I only copied my old links to it. Sometimes it doesn't work, I don't know why, either. Sorry....
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Many thanks for the questions contributed here. To wash the bad name of laziness, I am doing my part now.

Besides, to experiment the new way of questions for discussion, I'd like to ask people to number their questions by order. So Toshi's question is no.1. Iris' are 2, 3, 4 and Luis' question is no.5 (the first one is same as Iris'), and here are mine.

6. Can kids learn anything from slum tours? Would you bring your kids there? What would you do if you took your kids there?

7. I cannot recall that I've read anything about slums in my old textbooks. How about you? Have you learned anything about poverty, economic disparity and slums at school? Should we put these topics into our education? Why and why not?

8. What would you do if more and more poor people were moving into your neighborhood, and your community is getting like a slum? Would you welcome them, keep a distance, or flee?

If you have time to help us, please post your questions following the numbers, thanks. BTW, we are collecting 17 questions, as Toshi said. 8)
最後由 Rock 於 週日 3月 20, 2016 7:46 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Laura 寫:Hello, Rock,

your article and creative questions are nearly perfect. :ssmile: :ssmile: :ssmile:

My question is why you could po youtube windows on forum, but I could not do as linking only concerns my last hosting?!!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4090
The format of the sting in between [youtube] and [/youtube] is incorrect.

wrong:

代碼: 選擇全部

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
correct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

toshi 寫:
Laura 寫:Hello, Rock,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4090
The format of the sting in between [youtube] and [/youtube] is incorrect.

wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEE3B8Fsuc0
correct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEE3B8Fsuc0

Thanks Toshi's notice, and, thanks Rock for adopting your "Area", ha :D
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Iris Wu 寫:1. Why people take slum tours? Do you think “slum tourism” is patronizing or social enlightenment? Why so?

2. For people who despise the slum tours and claim they(the tours) are voyeuristic and exploitative, and spend time on a beach, enjoy fancy food cuisine and pretend that slums don't exist, do you think that make them more paragon of virtue? Why or why not?

3. What benefits can be obtained by both slum tourists and the dwellers in slums? How can the slum tour operators create win-win situation?
Free questions from Iris don't come without cost, they are much difficult to deal with than the article itself!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:I'm not being lazy (Maybe I am? :shock: ) But we talked about a possible way to build the questions for discussion. To the following people, Luis, Kooper, Gloria, Michael, Wendy, Tina, Iris, Sherry, Toshi, Tashi, Tom, Janice, Steve, Steven, Ryan, Joseph, Morris... and all others who sees this post, would you please think of a question and post it here , be it normal or crazy, for our reference? Thanks in advance.
Thanks to Rock, I just learned a new expression here - be it ... or ... I found that there has been some in-depth discussions about this expression in the forum of the WordReference (http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/ ... r.1173231/). Simply put, it equals whether it be ... or ... One of the WordReference members gave, in my opinion, a perfect explanation. Here I quoted as the following.

I agree with Broccolicious that I would normally think of this construction as very formal. However, it has been a fad lately, at least in US advertising and commentary, to overuse this construction. I believe the fad is fading, but a few years ago it would not be unusual to hear this in a television advertisement for cars or soap. In other words, I think it has been considered formal in the past, in general, but it is enjoying some popularity in less formal contexts recently. I find it very odd that it would be adopted into less formal contexts, but from my experience it definitely has. Here are some recent examples of this construction

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... e.insideit
An open source invention - be it the code for the popular Firefox browser or the blueprints for a $100 laptop - operates under open source principles. Until very recently, this has only thrived in the weightless world of computer code.

http://teenadvice.about.com/cs/breaking ... dumped.htm
Be it the style of your hair or the way you walk, if your steady suddenly finds fault with everything you do s/he is probably trying to push you away.

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/
I find it quite dangerous that so many people want to become their own boss because they hate their current jobs. They want to escape from what they hate, be it the boring job itself or the demanding boss or the work environment. I don’t say this is no good for moral reasons
回覆文章