4/12(Tue) Connected, but alone? (Host:Annie)

Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

4/12(Tue) Connected, but alone? (Host:Annie)

文章 Annie Zhang »

I recently watched the reality show “Back in Time for the Weekend” by BBC 2, it shows how the technology change our lives from 50’s to 90’s. I am amazed by how tech is changing the landscape of human relationships. I am sure there are many discussions regarding to the relationships between human beings and technology. On Tuesday’s meeting, we are going to discuss with these two videos. Enjoy watching!

Materials:

1. TED Talk | Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

2. I Forgot My Phone

------------------------------------------------------------
Questions for Discussion
Session 1
1. This TED Talk makes us think deeply how we treat ourselves with those devices. Do you agree with Ms. Turkle who claims that some people are not being able to face solitude? Do you feel lonely when you are too connected too the digital world, which tends to give out more of a sense of loneliness than a sense of connection? Do you enjoy solitude?

2. Are you too connected with your devices (computer or cell phone) and have stop having actual conversation with your friends and family?

3. Do you agree with what Ms. Turkle states “We all really need to listen to each other, including to the boring bits”? Do you listen to your parents or friends even they are talking in boring things?

Section 2
1. Are you familiar with the scenes that video “I Forgot My Phone” shows? Are you like the person in the video that you are always on your phone when you are with others?

2. Technology is slowly but surely replacing human interactions. What’s your relationship with technology? How do you treat technology? How often you check your social media apps per day? If you are addicted to tech, do you have any methods to conquer tech and take your life back?

------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

Re: 4/12(Tue) Connected, but alone? (Host:Annie)

文章 Annie Zhang »

Here is the link I shared at the end of the section 2:
7 GOLDEN RULES FOR MANAGING TECHNOLOGY AND TAKING YOUR LIFE BACK
I hope you enjoy the meeting and be aware of the effects of technology on our life. Thanks for coming tonight. :)
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Here is the attendee list:

Andy
Iris
Leo
Jessie Lin
Jessica ----->new comer
Shirley
Amy
Shong
Toshi
Blithe
Sophie
Michael
Wendy
Tina
Joseph
Julian
Kooper
Tashi
Steve
Claire -->new comer
Jason
Ken
Tom
Sabrina
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Thanks to Annie, after watching the TED speech one year ago, I got the opportunity to digest it one more time. This time I noticed several impressive expressions made by the speaker, compiled as following.

7:24 We short-change ourselves
9:08 We get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation
7:36 I was caught off-guard when ...
(viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4084&p=29622&hilit= ... ard#p29622) (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2108&p=14018&hilit ... ard#p14018)
8:57 For kids growing up, that skill is the bedrock of development. (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3859&p=28017&hilit= ... +of#p28017)
9:11 ... so used to getting by with less
9:15 ... to dispense with people altogether
11:10 that robot put on a great show
1:11 In these heady days, ...
2:14 I'm here to make the case.
最後由 Kooper 於 週六 4月 16, 2016 11:16 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:Thanks to Annie, after watching the TED speech one year ago, I got the opportunity to digest it one more time. This time I noticed several impressive expressions made by the speaker, compiled as following.

9:08 We get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation.
I looked up the dictionary and found out here short-change means " to treat someone unfairly by not giving them what they deserve or hoped for"

So, my Chinese translation for 9:08 sentence would be "我們在日常生活的會話中, 太習慣於"被冷落"

Kooper, (or other members) What would you translate "being short-changed" in this sentence?
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Michael-liu 寫:
Kooper 寫:Thanks to Annie, after watching the TED speech one year ago, I got the opportunity to digest it one more time. This time I noticed several impressive expressions made by the speaker, compiled as following.

9:08 We get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation.
I looked up the dictionary and found out here short-change means " to treat someone unfairly by not giving them what they deserve or hoped for"

So, my Chinese translation for 9:08 sentence would be "我們在日常生活的會話中, 太習慣於"被冷落"

Kooper, (or other members) What would you translate "being short-changed" in this sentence?

i don't think so.
guess the meaning here is simply that the author thinks real conversation is worthier than having connection only, and we give up our conversation then, only get connection in return. that's why she thinks we are short changed by ourselves.
though i don't know how to exactly translate it, i think it's not "我們在日常生活的會話中, 太習慣於"被冷落".. ok, just my two cents lo~ :lol:

for the whole paragraph, see below.

"Human relationships are rich and they're messy and they're demanding. And we clean them up with technology. And when we do, one of the things that can happen is that we sacrifice conversation for mere connection. We short-change ourselves. And over time, we seem to forget this, or we seem to stop caring."
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Translation is a very difficult thing! I used to think it's easy until I tried. It requires you possess a high level of proficiency in both languages. I always admire you guys persistently pursuing the excellence of translation and word meanings.

For the paragraph:
  • Over and over I hear, "I would rather text than talk." And what I'm seeing is that people get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation, so used to getting by with less, that they've become almost willing to dispense with people altogether.
I would give a try with the following translation:
"我看到的是,人們已習慣於 沒有直接對話 (out of real conversation) 的非理想狀態 (being short-changed), 很少的對話即可過得去 (getting by with less); 甚至到幾乎願意把"人"完全摒除於直接溝通之外".

out of real conversation: no longer in a stated place or condition (Cambridge Dictionary)
being short-changed: giving people less than they ​deserve
to dispense with people alltogether: to get ​rid of or do without something

I still cannot find the best translation for "being short-changed" in this case: "非理想狀態" is a 非理想的 translation. :)
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

ah~ i got the question wrong!!

ok, it must be because i had been very sleepy.. XD

:oops:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

I see eye to eye with Luis. Actually the "short-change" at both 7:24 and 9:08 are used to express the same idea. That is, we humans trade the more precious "conversation" with the overrated "connection." So we "short-change" ourselves without even realizing it.

The initial meaning of "short change" is 少找零錢. Knowing this makes it easier for me to understand what this phrasal verb mean in the speech. I would use 虧待自己 if I have to translate it into Chinese.
最後由 Kooper 於 週六 4月 16, 2016 8:54 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

It's always amazing, cheerful, and encouraging to witness how I learn new words with the help of YoYoers.

I heard of "to short change" for the first time in Kat's mini boot camp one year ago, noticed it the 2nd time when watching this TED talk the other day. Then my impression of the phrasal verb got reinforced multiple times by Michael, Luis, and Iris through their discussions of its meaning. Now this word has been literally etched in my mind and will very likely become part of my long-term memory! :sun:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Maybe try to translate the whole sentences?
I really don't think that understanding of these sentences is the problem and I don't see much difference in everybody's explanation. Basically it said that people went away from the real conversation and it is a pity!

As in the LINE group, it was easy for me to translate "Tina was not short-changed" into "Tina 沒被虧待!", but here, it just feels odd to say:
"我們已習慣於虧待自己...." and then what?

Same as Michael, I would love to learn how the whole paragraph gets translated into better Chinese statements! :)
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

How about this?
"我看到的是,人們已習慣退讓/委屈到沒有直接對話, 或很少的對話即可過得去; 甚至到幾乎願意把"人"完全摒除於直接溝通之外".
(Over and over I hear, "I would rather text than talk." And what I'm seeing is that people get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation, so used to getting by with less, that they've become almost willing to dispense with people altogether.)
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

I am curious that if there is anyone checking the translation from TED's website. Here' it is. "而我看到的是 人們變得十分習慣於 迴避真正的對話 將就於這省略版的對話 而最後變得也幾乎不在意 將對話的對象也省略掉"

It seems they use "迴避" to translate being short-changed ?!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

The professionals are much better!!! Thanks, Tina, I did not know there is translated version of it.
"迴避" is "out of".
"將就於" is good for "getting by with".
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

which means.... my analysis is wrong. :ccry: :ccry:
回覆文章