4/12(Tue) Connected, but alone? (Host:Annie)

Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 4/12(Tue) Connected, but alone? (Host:Annie)

文章 Luis Ko »

看來TED上的翻譯者也不知該如何翻BEING SHORT-CHANGED..

要我說這句話其實是有兩種可能性的.. 其一, 就如同Kooper說的, 跟7:24一樣, 這演講者看到現今的情形就是人們已經習慣了犧牲真實對話換來的"聯繫", 已經習慣了這種虧待自己的情形- people get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation, 是再次強調其稍早所提的; 其二的可能卻是稍有不同, 可能比較像Michael說的, 人們已經習慣在真實的對談中被冷漠- people get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation, 少少的交談就已足夠- so used to getting by with less, 比較屬於針對現今人們真實的互動做評論; 會覺得有可能是第二種情形是因為她是引用自己的所見所聞, 就如同另個影片呈現的, 往往一群朋友的聚會中, 大家都只顧著低頭注視自己手上的機子, 對於相互間的冷漠互動都已經覺得習慣而不怎麼再意..

以上, 這兩種意思其實是有些許不同的, 雖然無礙於了解整篇的大意, 但有時還是會想確切知道每個句子真正的意思是啥; 又或者即使是English natives也可能會誤解呢? 還真是不了啊啊啊 :roll:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

I kind of feel "being short changed" is similar to "getting by with", so the translator using "將就於" is a brilliant translation!
(虧待自己,委曲自己 --> 將就)

"Being short changed" is "being treated less fairly than they deserve" and the cause is "out of real conversation" or "with less real conversation". As far as people chose to be "out of real conversation" or they were snubbed (by phubbing/phone snubbing situations), you can probably take either way. I would vote for the former than the latter, because right before the sentence, the speaker said, "Over and over I hear, "I would rather text than talk."" That sounds people chose to be "out of real conversation" at their free will in this context.

Again, I was looking for translation from the very beginning and I think the translator did a pretty good job. "將就於" says a lot how people "short change" themselves with certain situations and it's more natural in Chinese.
Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

文章 Annie Zhang »

Hope it's not too late to see everyone's discussion until now 8)
回覆文章