5/7 (Sat.) Transitional Justice in Taiwan (Host:Dan Balaban)

回覆文章
Tom Lee
YOYO member
文章: 51
註冊時間: 週三 10月 30, 2013 8:51 pm

5/7 (Sat.) Transitional Justice in Taiwan (Host:Dan Balaban)

文章 Tom Lee »

Can Taiwan truly say it has moved on from its authoritarian past until it has fully redressed the crimes of the 228 massacre and ensuing White Terror period? That is what transitional justice is about, and it is being increasingly talked about in Taiwan as president-elect Tsai Ing-wen prepares to assume office and the DPP takes full control of the government

As the International Center for Transitional Justice defines it, transitional justice are measures to redress the legacies of massive human rights abuses. These include such measures as criminal prosecutions, truth commissions, reparations programs and institutional reforms.

(See article links below).

Let’s discuss your views about this weighty topic in session I with the following questions:

1. Should Taiwan fully document the abuses of the former KMT governments in the 228 massacre and White Terror period through a truth commission and prosecute those individuals who are most responsible for the abuses if they are still alive and fit to stand trial or should Taiwan not seek to wake up the ghosts of the past?

2. Do you support more moderate measures to bring about transitional justice, such as returning ill-gotten KMT party assets to the people of Taiwan, changing school curricula to reduce emphasis on Chinese and KMT party narratives and perhaps removing portraits of Sun Yat-sen from government buildings and schools?

3. If Taiwan doesn’t undertake measures toward transitional justice, do you think there will still be deep divisions within Taiwanese society and even the possibility of abuses in the future?

https://www.ictj.org/about/transitional-justice

http://thediplomat.com/2016/03/the-228- ... l-justice/

https://newbloommag.net/2016/02/29/tran ... ustice-tw/

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2008132146

In session II, let’s tackle the topic of the deportations of 45 Taiwanese citizens by Kenya to China and 32 Taiwanese by Malaysia to China on suspicion of telecom fraud.

1. Do you think China has a right to force the Taiwanese suspects to be deported to China to stand trial for their alleged crimes or did this action amount to the unlawful kidnapping of the Taiwanese citizens?

2. Do you feel these Taiwanese nationals are criminals who are getting what they deserve even if they probably won’t receive a fair trial in China?

3. Is this a violation of Taiwan’s sovereignty or is it, as President Ma Ying-jeou said, just a problem of “division of labor,” since in his view both Taiwan and China share jurisdiction over the case.

4. Are you as a Taiwanese citizen worried—even a little bit—that you might one day be deported to China while traveling abroad if you commit some “crime,” in Beijing’s view, such as violation of China’s National Security Law.

============================

Agenda:

3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
4:40 ~ 4:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
4:55~ 5:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:55 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (25 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks/Announcement

聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 5/7 (Sat.) Transitional Justice in Taiwan (Host:Dan Bala

文章 Rock »

Tom Lee 寫:
4. Are you as a Taiwanese citizen worried—even a little bit—that you might one day be deported to China while traveling abroad if you commit some “crime,” in Beijing’s view, such as violation of China’s National Security Law.
I worry more about crazy teenagers than Beijing administration, especially when there are deadly weapons on their hands. :shock:
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

Taiwan, beautiful island :mrgreen: is

our country ! :D
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Tom Lee 寫:Can Taiwan truly say it has moved on from its authoritarian past until it has fully redressed the crimes of the 228 massacre and ensuing White Terror period? That is what transitional justice is about, and it is being increasingly talked about in Taiwan as president-elect Tsai Ing-wen prepares to assume office and the DPP takes full control of the government

As the International Center for Transitional Justice defines it, transitional justice are measures to redress the legacies of massive human rights abuses. These include such measures as criminal prosecutions, truth commissions, reparations programs and institutional reforms.
yes, i, and most of the people in this country i would say, have already moved on from the country's authoritarian past. guess only those who would use the past to gain political benefit would still make it as an issue. and personally i think the term Transitional Justice is abused here in Taiwan. it doesn't apply to the situation here. anyway, if people are smart enough then, they won't be misled by this such spurious claims, nor worried about being deported to China haa~ 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

It may be true that Taiwan had an authoritarian past, but the current government is far from the past one-- it's so weak and crippled, and hilariously impotent.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

I do feel the articles selected for session I are biased, at least they seem to favor one side over the other.

"The Memorial Foundation of 228" official site (http://www.228.org.tw/pages.aspx?v=E8A16697235ABE57) has detailed chronicle of the incident. I think, to be fair, this should be referenced, too. Unfortunately, there is no cooresponding English version of it. Maybe that is something the Foundation should improve.
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Attendees:

Steve
Michael
Wendy
Michael Hou
Vincent
JJ