05/17 (Tue.) Ed Yong: Armor against Prejudice (Host: Toshi)

回覆文章
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

05/17 (Tue.) Ed Yong: Armor against Prejudice (Host: Toshi)

文章 toshi »

Source: Ed Yong: Armor against Prejudice

IDENTIFYING THE THREAT
Two psychologists , Claude Steele of Stanford University and
Joshua Aronson, then also at Stanford, coined the term “stereotype
threat” in 1995. Then, as now, black students across the U.S.
earned worse grades on average than their peers and were more
likely to drop out early at all levels of education. The various
explanations for this gap included the pernicious idea that black
students were innately less intelligent. Steele and Aronson were
not convinced. Instead, they reasoned, the very existence of this
negative stereotype might impair a student’s performance.

In a now classic experiment, they presented more than 100
college students with a frustrating test. When they told the students
that the exam would not measure their abilities, black and
white students with comparable SAT scores did equally well.
When Steele and Aronson told the students that the test would
assess their intellectual ability, however, the black students’
scores fell, but those of their white peers did not. Simply asking
the students to record their race beforehand had the same effect.

Questions for discussion:
Session One:

1. Are you surprised when you read the conclusion of the experiment of Steele & Aronson (stereotype threat)? Do you think the conclusion remain true for most of stereotypes? Why?

2. The opposite version of stereotype threat is stereotype lift/boost. Do you think in some certain situation positive stereotype might lift/boost one's performance? Why?

3. The following are some gender stereotypes:
a. men lack powers of empathy.
b. men are better at navigating.
c. men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children.
d. women are bad drivers.
Please list some other types of stereotypes (both negative and positive) you've ever heard, especially those stereotypes related to you. Do you agree with any stereotype among the above (including the list from your group)? Do you consider you are influenced by any stereotype threat or stereotype lift/boost?

Session Two:
4. 魯蛇(Loser) of崩世代(bomb-generation) represents the working poor. If one considers himself as a loser, will he be impaired by stereotype threat? What if the whole bomb-generation considers itself as a loser?

5. Do you consider Cohen and Walton’s method may effectively help people to get rid of the influence of stereotype threat? If you were influenced by stereotype threat, what would you do to get rid of it?

6. “Wow, this Japanese guy speaks so good English!”
“How come this Vietnam guy is so smart!”
“How come this Frenchman is not romantic at all!”
“How come this American is so good at mathematics!”
Growing up in such a society, our thoughts have been consciously or unconsciously constrained by the society. Sometimes we don’t even aware of the constraint at all. Stereotype may be one type of the constraints. Have you ever had the experience similar to the above? And at that moment, maybe you just recognized that you really do have some stereotypes in your mind. Please share your experience.

Keywords:
airhead
inexperienced
unathletic
bad driver
ignorant
greedy
weak
prudish
promiscuous
girly
bad at math
dorky
lazy
uncultured
unsophisticated
immature
spoiled

Further Reference:

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 與會者請自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請務必先看過文章或影片,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

Re: 05/17 (Tue.) Ed Yong: Armor against Prejudice (Host: Tos

文章 toshi »

Questions for discussion updated. So sorry for this late. See you tomorrow night!!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Stereotype threat is nothing if not painfully ironic.
i don't quite get what exactly means "painfully ironic" here.

and for the sentences below i quite agree with the first two, but for the last one, if that's the conclusion the author trying to make then, i will just put a question mark on it.. 8)
In many of these studies, the strongest students suffer the greatest setbacks.
Anxiety arrives; motivation falls; expectations lower.
By thwarting stereotype threat, researchers have shown that the stereotypes themselves are unfounded. Performance gaps between black and white students or between male and female scientists do not indicate differences in ability; rather they reflect prejudices that we can change.
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Luis Ko 寫:
By thwarting stereotype threat, researchers have shown that the stereotypes themselves are unfounded. Performance gaps between black and white students or between male and female scientists do not indicate differences in ability; rather they reflect prejudices that we can change.
1. I don't understand what it means, either

2. I think that is the conclusion the author is trying to make. Why you don't agree with it?
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Michael-liu 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:
1. I don't understand what it means, either

2. I think that is the conclusion the author is trying to make. Why you don't agree with it?

"In many of these studies, the strongest students suffer the greatest setbacks. The ones who are most invested in succeeding are most likely to be bothered by a negative stereotype and most likely to underperform as a result."

That's why he said it's painfully ironic.

By the way, "the conclusion" in question one is the conclusion of the experiment of Steele & Aronson (stereotype threat), but not the conclusion of the author.
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

"In many of these studies, the strongest students suffer the greatest setbacks. The ones who are most invested in succeeding are most likely to be bothered by a negative stereotype and most likely to underperform as a result."

if so, that would be a bit weird when compares to the rest of the article, in my opinion. it would somehow, or somewhat, suggest that if those who are inflicted are not strongest or most invested in succeeding then, stereotype threat is nothing.. XD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

to Michael, actually i'm a bit confused what makes a stereotype. is stereotype completely false, or it's partially true? that's why i put a question mark on it lo~ haa
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Luis Ko 寫:

if so, that would be a bit weird when compares to the rest of the article, in my opinion. it would somehow, or somewhat, suggest that if those who are inflicted are not strongest or most invested in succeeding then, stereotype threat is nothing.. XD

我剛剛在想是不是要回應你的邏輯 ... hmm

這敘述是說這些人受影響的程度比較深。也就是說其他人受影響比較淺。
所以這敘述本身是一種比較級敘述,受影響的程度是類比的。

而你的推論卻是數位的。你說這些人受影響的程度是 1,而其他人都不受影響是 0。
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Do we have different understanding in " Stereotype threat is nothing if not painfully ironic." ?
  • Say, this is the stereotype, "Women are bad drivers." and I happen to be a woman who doesn't drive well, then, the "stereotype threat" is probably nothing to me, but if I happen to be an excellent driver, and I am worried when I take the Go Kart racing with a group of men. Then, you can say the tax of "stereotype threat" for me is serious.
Forgive me to be blunt here, sometimes I feel some social studies or researches are quite wasteful. For me, they spend a lot efforts and resources to prove very little stuff. Even that the impact of "stereotype threat" is as stated, the solution to have a pretest to boost their confidence and then give a real test sounds a waste to me. It is so temperary, why not use that resources to come out solid statistics or cases to prove the bias of the stereotype and develop programs to utilize their skills and talents to boost their confidence and improve their self-esteem on a more solid basis?

Maybe I just doubt how severe the "stereotype threat" really impacts people? I am thinking for those who fit into the stereotype, probably don't feel the "threat", and for those who "feel ironic", they normally work it out to prove the stereotype is wrong or is a prejudice.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Attendance Figures: 19

- Host:Toshi

- Participants:Amy Chen, Chantal, Douglas, Howard, Iris, Jason, Julian, Ken, Kooper, Linda, Luis, Michael, Michael Liu, Morris, Shong, Tashi, Tom, Wen-han

Thank you for coming! Hope you enjoy the "debate"!! XD
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

隨你所喜