7/5(Tue) Stop Searching for Your Passion (Host: Kooper)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

7/5(Tue) Stop Searching for Your Passion (Host: Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

Believe it or not, here comes another discussion on PASSION!

Both of the video clips are against the mainstream idea of following our passion when it comes to career selection. And both ends up with a similar cure.
The first video is structured well and evidence-based even though the speaker is less convincing. The second speaker is an awesome storyteller and delivered the speech in a more sentimental way. It is suggested that you watch both video. If however you don't have enough time for both, just pick the type of speech that fits you better.

Questions for Discussion:

Session I
1. Looking back on your life, did your passion change as time went by? What were them when you were a child, adolescent, or a graduate? What is your passion now?
2. Do you think passion is an object that you have been born with and that it’s just a matter of time to identify it or passion is an unreliable, fickle feeling?
3. Did you choose career in pursuit of passion, money, based on your skill set, or out of altruism? If you did not choose what you were passionate about as career, please share with your teammates reasons behind the decision.
4. Does your current job (or last job if you are between jobs or have been retired) meet your interests? How fulfilling is it and why is it rewarding (or not rewarding)? Is the degree of your fulfillment decided by how associated the job is to your interests?

Session II
5. How did the first (or 2nd) speaker make a case against the notion of pursuing passion as career? What better approach did the two speakers advise?
6. Which one do you believe - Passion fuels success or success fuels passion?
7. If you were able to start your career over, to go back to the time when you were just a graduate, and follow the speakers' advice to choose your career, what career would you choose?
8. After watching all the speeches for and against the pursuit of passion, which side do you buy more?

Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Kooper 於 週一 7月 04, 2016 12:49 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 7/5(Tue) Stop Searching for Your Passion (Host: Kooper)

文章 Iris Wu »

I finally realized that I did have my passion long ago when I was still in high school. What did I do with my passion? I think I let it lie dormant for many, many years. When did it wake up and start calling me? I guess that was after I retired. Do I regret that I did not “follow my passion” in work or in life? Probably not. Why? After some self-analysis and self-assessment, my conclusions are:
  • 1) If I had waited until I found my passion then I would probably need to work until I am 100 years old!
    2) Even assumed I knew my passion in very early stage and I pursued my career with my passion, I think I would have got lost in that career path because many people are much more talented and passionate than I was in that field.
    3) Instead, I walked into a path which most people probably could not stand for it but I was very “patient” about it. The result, in my own standard, I survived and feel thrilled when looking back for what I have been through. “Success fueled passion more than passion fueled success” is so right to me.
Don’t get me wrong, I totally endorse both speeches of Steve Jobs (Stanford Commencement speech, 2005) and Steven Spielberg (Harvard Commencement Speech, 2016), but just think “follow your passion” or “stop searching for your passion” is not a one-size-fits-all advice, they both are valid and inadequate, “the execution to follow through” is probably the key to complete the advice.

Notes:
May I "reserve the right" for using Steven Spielberg’s 2016 Harvard Commencement Speech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtoDunfu00) for my next host? Just in case someone “steals the idea”! :)
Just kidding, maybe I should put this one into Rock’s “topics for sharing” database, it is a nice and fun speech.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Questions have been updated one more time. Please make sure you bring the updated ones to the meeting. :D
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

The first video clip is really not so...appealing. :shock: :shock:
He kept saying to make the world a better place. How come we must achieve that... haha... no interest doing that at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A fulfilling job... what does that mean? fulfill to whom or whom is fulfilled exactly? :roll:
(And it's obvious that the audience has less response and reaction during the speech. ha)

However, after watching two video clips, "do what's valuable" and "your passion follows you" ... I like those two ideas. :sun:
I can feel my passion changes too with different stages of my life journey.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

the first video is more appealing to me. i have no patience for this such video clips but, i like British accent, and of course, it would be even better if the voice was from a gal. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Tom Lee
YOYO member
文章: 51
註冊時間: 週三 10月 30, 2013 8:51 pm

文章 Tom Lee »

Iris Wu 寫: May I "reserve the right" for using Steven Spielberg’s 2016 Harvard Commencement Speech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtoDunfu00) for my next host? Just in case someone “steals the idea”! :)
Of course, my dear boss lady, sure you always have the chance to make the speech.
How about arranging your meeting in our anniversary party? (1 hour for eating, and 2 hours for listening to your cheerful speech. :D)
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Tom Lee 寫: Of course, my dear boss lady, sure you always have the chance to make the speech.
How about arranging your meeting in our anniversary party? (1 hour for eating, and 2 hours for listening to your cheerful speech. :D)
Don't scare all your guests away, Tommy! :)
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Participants(15): Kooper(host), Morris, Iris, Amy Chen, Tashi, Michael, Liwen, Steve, Sabrina, Viola, Yvonne, Shirley Hsu, Tom, Jessie, Julian
回覆文章