7/16 (Sat.) Are You Superstitious? (Host: Vicky)

回覆文章
Vicky Wu
YOYO member
文章: 23
註冊時間: 週六 12月 08, 2007 7:43 pm
來自: Taipei

7/16 (Sat.) Are You Superstitious? (Host: Vicky)

文章 Vicky Wu »

Dear Yoyoers:

One day, a news caught my eye and I was amazed that the life-like dolls are widely viewed as lucky charms as well as taken care of as the owner’s real children in Thailand.
People from different countries may have various ways to pursue good luck in order to change their destinies. I post links of the articles below for your reference, and you can click in to see the pictures of life-like dolls.

In Session 2, I’ll give “Weekly Horoscopes (每周星座運勢)” to each group and “fortune cookies(幸運籤餅乾)” to everyone. Let’s get lucky and have fun!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/look- ... nd-n506661

http://mashable.com/2016/01/26/thailand ... we7ApBRiq3

Session 1

1.In the article, it mentioned “The economy is bad right now. Everybody needs something to hold on to," said Boonmee, who claims Nong Petch helped her win the lottery by telling her what numbers to buy in her dreams.” Do you think economy should be the main reason that causes the trend? What other factors might make the life-like dolls so popular?

2.In Taiwan, some people change their names or phone number in order to have better life and get lucky. Do you or someone you know have the same experiences? Share your viewpoint with group members.

3.In Hong Kong, “beating the petty person (打小人)” is very popular among tourists. Do you think it’s useful? If you have similar experiences, share with us.

Session 2
(I will give the Weekly Horoscopes to each group for the first question)
(After each Group’s presentation, we’ll have fortune cookies together, and everyone has a chance to speak out what’s on his/her fortune cookies notes!)

1.We often see “Weekly Horoscopes (每周星座運勢)” online or in the magazine. Do you believe what the astrologers say? Please also express your opinion about what the astrologer’s prediction for your Sign.

2.Have you ever been to fortune-telling? Why? Would you recommend others to go there?

3.During Chinese New Year, many people go to temples to pray for good luck for whole year. Do you do the same thing? Which temple do you go to and why?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Vicky Wu
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 7/16 (Sat.) Are You Superstitious? (Host: Vicky)

文章 Rock »

I'm religious; I'm not superstitious. 8)

Those creepy dolls can fight back demons, that's for sure.
頭像
Sharon Lin
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週四 6月 16, 2016 4:54 pm

文章 Sharon Lin »

Some dolls though weird looking can still look cute.
圖檔
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

In the video, some dolls reminds me of the "Chucky" so I think it can brings luck that won't be an option for me.
Actually there is an old saying that "where there is a shape, there is the spirit" so when people starts pretending it's a real baby and warship it, gradually they are actually having a deal with some spirit.

When it comes to superstition, if the definition is "trust something that can't be proved technically and scientifically", I think I am still kind of superstitious.
Because in many cases I like to follow my intuition to make a decision and in many areas, I still feel they are just some kind of science that can't find a way to prove. For example, Horoscopes and naming rules for a baby.

A year ago, I was curious about why I was born to be picky so I checked my own Horoscope sign and investigate more detail through the website below:
http://astrodoor.cc/horoscope.jsp

I found two things to share with you and maybe you could also find something similar as I did:

1. When you input exact to which hour and minute you were born and the city, you can have more information about how you are consisted of Horoscopes.
太陽星座=>Sun Sign ------>The most we know and the most obvious character we behave
月亮星座=> Moon Sign
上升星座=>Ascendant/ Rising Sign
水星(Mercury)
金星(Venus)
火星(Mars)
木星(Jupiter)
土星(Saturn)
天王星(Uranus) 海王星(Neptune)冥王星(Pluto)

To my surprises and no wonder....
I am not only a Earth Sign in Sun Sign but also in Moon Sign, Mercury and Rising Sign. The former 3 is Capricorn and the Rising Sign is Virgo.
These four signs are the major parts to shape a person's characteristics.

2. If you change the hour you were born purposely to observe the difference, you would see when the change exceeds traditional twelve two-hour periods(時辰), some Signs would change but when it's still within the same two hour(時辰), every Sign is still the same. I can't stop thinking that it could be another kind of display of Chinese "The Four Pillars Life-ology"(四柱八字).

Actually I also made a statistics upon all my friends within the past 20 years and it shocked me that among them, some were close to me in the first place are almost Water Signs. That's really no exception. And I also found I rarely got Fire Sign friends. Since I haven't choose my friends according to their Horoscope in advance, I do believe that fact revealed something and I am kind of feeling I was hilarious upon believing myself as a fully rational person.
回覆文章