7/19 (Tue) Social Media and the E-society(Host:Ken)

回覆文章
Douglas
YOYO member
文章: 13
註冊時間: 週三 12月 09, 2015 3:43 pm

7/19 (Tue) Social Media and the E-society(Host:Ken)

文章 Douglas »

Please refer to the following article:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 25941.html

Questions for discussions:

Session I
Q1. Do you agree that the Internet makes people shallow and stupid? Can you share some examples?
Q2. Is social media replacing the traditional journalism as a news source. Is information online reliable?
Q3. Do you prefer online reading or actual books? Can students go deep with digital reading?

Session II
Q1 Some criticize social media and smartphones make us unsocial. People nowadays spend less time interacting with real people. What is your opinion on this phenomenon?
Q2. Scientists warned that the Internet may cause distraction. It's hard for some people to stay focused at work. What do you think?
Q3. Why is smartphone addiction more common among women, teenagers and Asian people. :sun:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 7/19 (Tue) Social Media and the E-society(Host:Ken)

文章 Rock »

Douglas 寫: Q1. Do you agree that the Internet makes people shallow and stupid? Can you share some examples?
It's possible. It's also possible that internet let shallow and stupid people to be heard more easily. Julian said that he hates it so much when some anchors report the news based on "netizens said..." And yes, some opinions and information from netizens are simply unfounded, and we hear them a lot these days.
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

Q2. Scientists warned that the Internet may cause distraction. It's hard for some people to stay focused at work. What do you think?

SO TRUE!!! HAHAHAHA.
However, I also think the internet helps a lot at work. If you are not familiar with some new knowledge or terms, you can immediately get the answer even the know-how from internet.

Q3. Why is smartphone addiction more common among women, teenagers and Asian people. :sun:

I think it's everyone all over the world if your environment allows you to have a smartphone and able to access to the internet. XDDD
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Tina Sun 寫:
I think it's everyone all over the world if your environment allows you to have a smartphone and able to access to the internet. XDDD
Not those who with senile farsightedness. :?
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

I am not sure when radio first came out if people asked the similar questions, but I am pretty sure when TV was invented, people raised the same concerns.
Are people who do not use any modern gadgets more decent, noble, thoughtful and less skin-deep? I kind of hard to believe that. How do you compare people who watch a lot of TV and people who text a lot with their smartphones, which one is less shallow and have better moral sense? I guess I just don't really buy all these claims. I think human beings are still the same, cavemen did not think deeper than modern people; modern people are not more noble than cavemen. Tools won't make decent people shallower and probably would not make shallow thinkers go deeper.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:Tools won't make decent people shallower and probably would not make shallow thinkers go deeper.
That's so true. But is it possible that decent people think deeper and shallow thinkers got more bigheaded?
頭像
wenhan1122
Vice President
文章: 175
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2008 3:29 pm

文章 wenhan1122 »

Iris Wu 寫:I am not sure when radio first came out if people asked the similar questions, but I am pretty sure when TV was invented, people raised the same concerns. ....
r.
Dear Iris,

It's a British research, don't be too serious.
The real peace is not merely the absence of warfare, but the presence of justice
tammychu1020
文章: 1
註冊時間: 週二 7月 19, 2016 8:12 pm

文章 tammychu1020 »

Session I
Q1. Do you agree that the Internet makes people shallow and stupid? Can you share some examples?
No, i don't. I am learning ukulele and cooking from youtubers. Now I can play a song with ukulele and cook a meal for my family. We can screen information and directly get what we want to be a fast learner less than an hour instead of going out and attending classes. It really depends on how you use internet into normal life.

Q3. Do you prefer online reading or actual books? Can students go deep with digital reading?
I used to do online reading but then I realized that not every actual book in ebooks. So I prefer actual books. I believe students can go deep with digital reading under one condition if they don't rely online information heavily. Accepting lots of online information without transforming thinking of our own may cause our brain slow.

Session II
Q1 Some criticize social media and smartphones make us unsocial. People nowadays spend less time interacting with real people. What is your opinion on this phenomenon?
I am doing this right now. We can easily get to know our friends and their recent life through Facebook posts. Why need to hang? I am considering closing my Facebook but I can't really make up my mind. :lol: :lol:
頭像
Sharon Lin
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週四 6月 16, 2016 4:54 pm

文章 Sharon Lin »

Social Media Today brings together the news.
This is a good Topic Ken. I am interested in this good topic, same good as process and result,just could not make time these days to attend. :ccry:
圖檔
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Attendees:

Tashi
Tom
Sherry
Shirley
Iris
Rock
Wenhan
Ramesh
James
Ryan