Catherine
YOYO member
文章: 31
註冊時間: 週日 2月 22, 2015 10:09 pm

8/6(Sat.)Self Confidence Host: Abbey Chang

文章 Catherine »

Self Confidence
Hi there, I am Abbey, the host of 8/6.
As everybody knows, I'm still a student in senior high school. I have to face enormous stress, fast paces, homework and projects.
Last December was a period with most pressure, the most important volleyball match of the year, performances of Language Talented Class and final exam (Which I have to keep my grade in top 8 in my class). My homeroom teacher knew that all of us are exhausted both mentally and physically, so she showed me and my classmates the first video below. And the second video is a little bit connected to the first one.
To me, the score people gave themselves in first video are too high. If I were them, I will give myself like, maybe -2 or something.
And please, make sure that you've watched the video.

First one:

Second one:

Discussion
Session 1
1. Are you a cocky person?
2. How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10?
3. Do you believe the video? Why or why not?
4. Share us with your experience of those frustrating moments in your life.

Session 2
1. Explain the connection of these two video.
2. If you don't know your table-mates' jobs, try to guess. Remember, don't judge a book from its cover. If you already know his/hers job, tell he/she your first impression of them.
3. Have you ever been judged by anyone? What did they say about you?
4. Have you ever misjudged someone else? What happened?

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 8/6(Sat.)Self Confidence Host: Abbey Chang

文章 Rock »

Wow! The youngest host ever! Definitely cannot miss this opportunity to know new things.

PS. Why does the mother post it for the host? Is she still too busy?
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Abbey, look forward to the coming meeting. Amazing girl!

Also, I strongly suggest you set up a young yoyo club for those who are still young but have passions for learning English and making friends, like you do. You have talent and you have guts. Really expect for that. :like:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

May I invite my nephew to join you if you have this young club? He is going to be a freshman in a senior high this September.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

These videos are very valuable for those who lacking confidence. Many people worry too much about how people look at them, and withdraw from social events even when they are totally fine. The fact is: Most people care only about themselves. So the worry about how people look at us usually is not necessary.

Do I believe these videos? Yes, they are inspiringly beautiful. But, cynically speaking, they are not so real. I mean, what number of rating would I give my parents if I, and my parents, were interviewed together in front of a camera? Of course it would be a 10! Even a 9.9 would possibly hurt the feelings and ruin the parent-son relationship. A white lie is a must to this question. I just wish no kids would be so naive to rate their parents absolutely honestly in front of others.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Human beings are complicated. We can rate ourselves low and think we are not cocky, but when it gets to what we did and why we did something, we are often quite “defensive” either in an intentional or unintentional manner.
Most people (especially in our club) may think low self-confidence and self-esteem are something more important to overcome, but I think “inaccurate self-insights” actually go on both directions; inaccuracy could be "under" and could be "over" (sometimes in a way we did not even sense it). We actually have more problems with the hidden overinflated confidence/ego for society as a whole.
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

I believe what it could really meant for the "-2" score Abbey had given to herself, is because she observed so much to improve.
And also I would actually think it's a blessing to have this observation ability.

Sometimes people get cocky, lazy is because of people lose their observation to better themselves and more over, when people observe some weakness, they feel sad, upset or defensive. In recent two years, I start to train myself to be more observant and more positive.

So I would propose this:

I can 100% improved and I am still good enough and everyone else does.
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Attendees:

Tashi
Kat
Steve
Andy
Rosie
Rock