2/4 (Sat) Carnism Awareness (Host:Albert)

demonfoo
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週日 11月 27, 2016 8:42 pm

2/4 (Sat) Carnism Awareness (Host:Albert)

文章 demonfoo »

Hello,everyone.The topic is about Carnism Awareness.

Questions for Discussion:
Q1.Do you agree with that? What do you feel in your everyday life?
Q2.So the question is: why are we not disgusted by the select(ed) species we have learned to think of as edible?
Q3.Do you know any way to get meat without violence or harm to animals?
Q4.Did you have heard about how people get meat like above?
Q5.Was there anything wrong on your mind when you were young?
Q6.Do you consider to eat less meat in the future?

And I made the mini paper for everyone. All you could download for the quick join.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4n1px ... sp=sharing

Agenda:

3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 demonfoo 於 週二 1月 10, 2017 6:26 am 編輯,總共編輯了 8 次。
demonfoo

Re: 2/4(SAT) Carnism Awareness (Host:Albert)

文章 demonfoo »

Somebody help me. I can't 嵌入 the youtube . Anyone here?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Hi, Albert, it's easy to embed a youtube clip into your post. When you're editing, use the youtube tag (on the far right of the tags), insert the copied youtube url, and then take out the "s" in https. In another words, simply use http instead of https in the code.
最後由 Rock 於 週一 1月 09, 2017 8:52 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

And many thanks for picking up a very good topic. I like it. :D It's such a dilemma that most of us are animal lovers but also cannot live without meat.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
demonfoo

文章 demonfoo »

Thank you, :wink: .Yup! That's a big question.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

"Carnism is a concept used in discussions of humanity's relation to animals, defined as a prevailing ideology that conditions people to support the use and consumption of animal products, especially meat."

herbivore or carnivore, good or bad, that really depends on people. actually the way the world goes is indeed decided by the preference of human beings, no matter good or bad, or right or wrong lo~ 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

When I just finished watching the video clip, I was considering quitting eating meat. :cry: The feeling was so strong-- almost like a trauma. Luckily, I checked out my teeth in the mirror, only to find that I'm still a omnivore with molar and canine teeth. :twisted:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

I do have noticed that there are more and more vegetarians around me these days.
They are healthy, happy, and energetic, though sometimes they give me guilt trips (or I just think too much? :p
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re: 2/4 (Sat) Carnism Awareness (Host:Albert)

文章 Rock »

I have a doubt about the nutrition part. Vegans are not suppose to even have eggs and milk. Is it easy for them to cover the animal protein with vegetable protein? If we human beings can do it, how about dogs and cats? Can we raise those pets with canine teeth without feeding them meat?
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

Very special topic. :D
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Personally, I think the Chinese translation of the TED title sucks. "摒棄肉食主義,迎向理性──真誠的食物選擇" does not convey the sense of "Beyond Carnism and toward Rational, Authentic Food Choices" It doesn't say "discard" or "give up" carnism; instead, the word chosen is "beyond" which put it different from other veganisms. May I suggest some more questions?

7. What do "beyond carnism" and "authentic food choice" mean in the title?
8. What are carnism, vegetarianism, omnivorism and veganism?
9. What is ethical omnivorism? Why does the vegan philosophy criticize and reject the very concept of ethical omnivorism? (from wiki)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

圖檔

The National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation, in which the American president pardons a turkey, has been cited as an illustration of carnism. (wiki)
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Words and expressions jotted down in the meeting:
The question sheet that Albert prepared for the meeting today is a tough act to follow

They enjoyed select wines and foods at a Portuguese restaurant tonight.

Sabrina just had acupuncture for her knee. ; give somebody acupuncture; practice acupuncture

We can take dietary supplements if we don't keep a balanced diet.

Some people think those who promote animal rights are hypocritical.

Dogs used to be wild animals but they have been domesticated by human beings.

Jason was just being agreeable during the group discussion with Rock.

thankful and grateful

Artificial meat is still at infant stage of development and very pricy.

single-family house
圖檔

semi-detached house
圖檔

townhouse
圖檔

mansion
圖檔
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

If you had been with us in the Portuguese restaurant TUGA, you would have find that David Jr.'s act is tough to follow, too. His wild energy seemed impossible to be domesticated; the ladies just loved him! I don't want to be hypocritical or agreeable: you really should be there next time and learn something. Our social skills, comparing with his, is at infant stage of development. As for me, I was overwhelmingly amazed at his hosting so my jaw dropped. It won't recover in some time. Now I'm looking for acupuncture therapy in hope that I can speak tomorrow.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I forgot to remind Albert to keep the attendee list. Now my short memory can only recall these names: Kooper, Gloria, Albert (the host), Jin, Amy, Laura, Luis, Michael, Sophie, Sabrina, Ramesh, Julian, Rosie, Jessica, Iris, Stephen, Catherine.... Who do I miss?
回覆文章