(1/17) How to Beat Distractions and World Hot News (Jason)

回覆文章
Jason Huang
YOYO member
文章: 26
註冊時間: 週四 1月 12, 2017 12:50 pm

(1/17) How to Beat Distractions and World Hot News (Jason)

文章 Jason Huang »

Session I: How to Beat Distractions and Anxiety
Session II: Trump First News Conference

Refer to the link:
http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/23/1 ... d-at-work/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/li ... al-anxiety
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/11/polit ... index.html

Session I
How to Beat Distractions and Conquer Social Anxiety

Let’s extend our talking from last Tuesdays’ topic regarding the new technology distraction.
The Need-to-Know
Attention span varies widely between people, but 20-somethings may be at a particular disadvantage. With the explosion of the Internet and text messaging, people after Generation Y may be dealing with shorter attention spans built-in. And hey dudes, listen up: some research suggests men have a harder time focusing than women and are more likely to suffer from attention span issues.
Zoom In: Your Action Plan
1. Plan ahead. Envision what the workday will look like before it happens. Write down what things need to get done or what you want to accomplish. Setting goals can help people stay on track.
2. Eat a good breakfast. A bowl of oatmeal may do more than jump start metabolism. Studies have found that eating breakfast can improve attention and concentration, too. Here’s what the experts say you should eat in the morning.
3. Meditate. Scientists have discovered that meditation may enhance certain brain functions linked to attention. It can’t hurt to try shutting everything off to get more done in the long run.
4. Work offline. One survey found nearly 60% of disruptions at work come from email, social networks and cell phones. So for tasks that don’t involve the Internet, try using old-fashioned paper and pen — perfect for brainstorming! Put your phone on silent and check email only occasionally (try once every hour). Limit time on social media too. You can “like” your friend’s picture of his dog later.
5. Do smaller tasks. Some psychologists suggest that our brain works way too hard to process incredible amounts of information. So working on one large project can be overwhelming — like trying to plan a whole event at work in one afternoon. Split up projects into individual tasks so they’re easier to accomplish.
6. Time box. Work on one project for a specific amount of time, rather than working until something is finished. (Write emails until 2 p.m., instead of stopping at inbox zero.) This way we know we can work hard until a certain time, and then be able to take a break.
7. Clean up. Anything from Post-Its to pretzels and family photos can become a distraction. Clear off the workspace and have out only what’s needed (laptop, notebook, water-bottle — check!) to help stay in the zone.

Conquer Social Anxiety
Social anxiety occurs in three different time frames: Pre-event dread, fear and discomfort during the event, and post event self-criticism.
Your new mission is to be true to yourself and, where possible, encourage people to feel good about themselves.
Work on becoming aware of, and disputing, the six following hidden beliefs and you will be on your way to overcoming your social anxiety. Below are the six problematic assumptions and examples of healthier thoughts to replace them :
1. About Myself: (Beliefs of being weak or inferior to others. "I am boring. People don't like me."
2. About Others: "People are critical and judgmental and they are always looking for flaws and weaknesses."
3. About Disapproval: "It is horrible if people have bad thoughts about me."
4. About Performance Standards: "I must appear 100% confident."
5. About Anxiety: "People will judge me negatively if they can see that I am anxious."
6. Wildfire Fantasy: "If people think badly of me, they will tell others."

Questions for Session I
1. Do you agree that male is easier to lose focus than female? Why or why not?
2. Above methods, which way you think is the most effective to stay focus, or you got better ideas?
3. About Social Anxiety, do you have similar situation? How do you manage yourself to overcome above anxieties? What are the healthier thoughts of above cases?
4. Giving a speech in front of YOYO class would make you anxious? How to conquer or improve it?

Session II
Donald Trump First News Conference

(CNN) Cyber Attack,! "I think it was Russia,"

President-elect Donald Trump said for the first time Wednesday he believes Russia was responsible for hacking ahead of the election but contemptuously rejected allegations that Moscow mounted a campaign to compromise him. Trump said the US government "is the worst" when it comes to the nation's vulnerability in being hacked.
In his first news conference since winning the election, a combative Trump made clear he will not mute his style when he is inaugurated in nine days. He lashed out at media and political foes alike in a bravura performance.
He insisted on moving speedily -- too speedily for some Republicans in Congress -- to replace Obamacare. He also pledged swift action on building a wall along the border with Mexico and nominating a new Supreme Court justice.
The news conference follows exclusive reporting by CNN on Tuesday that classified documents presented last week to President Barack Obama and Trump included the allegations about Russia. The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election and drew in part from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible.

Conflicts of Interest
The news conference, delayed from December, was scheduled for Trump to outline how he will address questions about possible conflicts-of-interest related to his vast business empire. Trump appeared beside a large pile of files he claimed were pertinent to the companies that are going to be placed in a trust to be run by his sons.

Build a Wall for Mexico
Trump reiterated that he will build a wall on the southern border and Mexico will pay for it, but defended his decision to ask Congress to fund it initially.
"We are going to build a wall," he said, adding that he didn't want to wait a year and a half to finish negotiating how Mexico would pay for it. "Mexico, in some form ... will reimburse us."

Questions for Session II

1. What do you think about the proven fact that Russia did hack into US election? Was it the major reason Trump got elected?
2. Trump is going to replace his company in a trust to be run by two sons, do you believe that would avoid conflict of interest once for all?
3. Trump seems to be a man of his word and still is going to build a wall in Mexico. What do you think of it?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期三聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: (1/17) How to Beat Distractions and World Hot News (Jaso

文章 Rock »

I've given up beating distractions long time ago. Now I live with it. 8)
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Jason Huang
YOYO member
文章: 26
註冊時間: 週四 1月 12, 2017 12:50 pm

文章 Jason Huang »

To Rock
You shall be the expert in this filed as you know how to clam your students everyday. Share some ideas if you like.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hi, I sure will try my best to share and talk in this interesting discussion. But, I'm not sure if I am an expert in any field. Besides, I don't know how to "clam" the kids, either. You gotta tell me how to do it first. :lol:

圖檔
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I've overcome the anxiety of public speaking. It still chokes me, but breathing is possible now. Just face it, accept the fact that I am not good and will look not good, but also remember that looking not good will only hurt, not kill. Besides, since I'm not talented, the only way to get better is by taking the hurt so the callus gained may help later.
回覆文章