3/25 (Sat.) Nationalism vs. Globalism (Host: Iris)

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

3/25 (Sat.) Nationalism vs. Globalism (Host: Iris)

文章 Iris Wu »

Dear Friends:

“Globalization” and the ideological conflicts between globalism and nationalism are pressing issues. The world is at a crossroads and we are living in a historical moment. How do we recognize it and deal with it? It’s worthwhile spending a Saturday afternoon thinking about it!
(Haha… my lousy sales pitch! :) )

Definitions: (Wiki)
  • Globalization: the process of international integration arising from the interchange of world views, products, ideas, and other aspects of culture.
    Globalism: refer to different ideologies advocating globalization.
    Nationalism: a complex, multidimensional concept involving a shared communal identification with one's nation.
    It is a political ideology oriented towards gaining and maintaining self-governance, or full sovereignty, over a territory of historical significance to the group (such as its homeland).
More specifically, how did “globalization” get started, promoted and become prevalent? I’d like to cite two views of globalization in the following articles:
(Notes: These two articles are long; we use them as reference only. They are NOT required reading for the meeting.)

Is the world flat? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Is_Flat)
  • The best-selling book author, Thomas Friedman, analyzes “globalization” in early 21st century.
    “The title is a metaphor for viewing the world as a level playing field in terms of commerce, wherein all competitors have an equal opportunity.”
    Friedman defines ten "flatteners" that he sees as leveling the global playing field. These “flatteners” including: Collapse of the Berlin Wall, Netscape web browser, software protocols, open platform for collaboration, outsourcing/offshoring, supply-chain streamlined globally (e.g. Wal-Mart), and “Informing” (search engines, Wikipedia, and maybe the social media), etc.
Are we moving towards a “global village”?
“Building Global Community” by Mark Zuckerberg:( https://www.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuc ... 292806634/ )
  • “Today we are close to taking our next step. Our greatest opportunities are now global -- like spreading prosperity and freedom, promoting peace and understanding, lifting people out of poverty, and accelerating science. Our greatest challenges also need global responses -- like ending terrorism, fighting climate change, and preventing pandemics. Progress now requires humanity coming together not just as cities or nations, but also as a global community.”
    “Every year, the world got more connected and this was seen as a positive trend. Yet now, across the world there are people left behind by globalization, and movements for withdrawing from global connection. There are questions about whether we can make a global community that works for everyone, and whether the path ahead is to connect more or reverse course.”
Undoubtedly, many people missed the train of “globalization”. The great divide between the “well-off” and the “left-behind” is immense. The opponents of globalists, the nationalists, are seizing the moment and gaining ground in the examples of Brexit and Trump’s winning the presidency. Will the momentum of rising nationalism sustain? Is it the answer to solving globalization issues? Or is it destroying the collective human efforts and will be detrimental to the future of mankind?

The reading and listening materials:

• 4:41 CA (Host): But this process of connecting the world ended up with a large group of people kind of feeling left out, and they've reacted. And so we have this bombshell that's sort of ripping through the whole system. I mean, what do you make of what's happened? It feels like the old way that people thought of politics, the left-right divide, has been blown up and replaced. How should we think of this?

5:04 YNH: Yeah, the old 20th-century political model of left versus right is now largely irrelevant, and the real divide today is between global and national, global or local. And you see it again all over the world that this is now the main struggle. We probably need completely new political models and completely new ways of thinking about politics. In essence, what you can say is that we now have global ecology, we have a global economy but we have national politics, and this doesn't work together. This makes the political system ineffective, because it has no control over the forces that shape our life. And you have basically two solutions to this imbalance: either de-globalize the economy and turn it back into a national economy, or globalize the political system.

5:59 CA: So some, I guess many liberals out there view Trump and his government as kind of irredeemably bad, just awful in every way. Do you see any underlying narrative or political philosophy in there that is at least worth understanding? How would you articulate that philosophy? Is it just the philosophy of nationalism?

6:27 YNH: I think the underlying feeling or idea is that the political system — something is broken there. It doesn't empower the ordinary person anymore. It doesn't care so much about the ordinary person anymore, and I think this diagnosis of the political disease is correct. With regard to the answers, I am far less certain.

6:52 I think what we are seeing is the immediate human reaction: if something doesn't work, let's go back. And you see it all over the world, that people, almost nobody in the political system today, has any future-oriented vision of where humankind is going. Almost everywhere, you see retrograde vision: "Let's make America great again," like it was great — I don't know — in the '50s, in the '80s, sometime, let's go back there. And you go to Russia a hundred years after Lenin, Putin's vision for the future is basically, ah, let's go back to the Tsarist empire. And in Israel, where I come from, the hottest political vision of the present is: "Let's build the temple again." So let's go back 2,000 years backwards. So people are thinking sometime in the past we've lost it, and sometimes in the past, it's like you've lost your way in the city, and you say OK, let's go back to the point where I felt secure and start again. I don't think this can work, but a lot of people, this is their gut instinct.

(Please continue watching the video: 4:21 - 15:25)
Questions for Discussion:
Session I:
1. The essential aspects of globalization are movement of people, information, goods and services. In the course of globalization, what have we benefited from these massive movements? Who are the major beneficiaries of the trend?

2. What are the major globalization-induced issues? Who and why are the people left-behind or suffering the consequences of economic, political and cultural globalization?

3. Why is nationalism on the rise? Do you agree with the following statements? Why or why not?
  • One argument says that humans have a series of natural sub-groupings that extend through the following range and order:
    Family --> Clan (Extended Family) --> Tribe --> Nation --> Sub-Race --> Race --> Humanity.
    And, only the “Nation” grouping allows for the best balance of security, freedom, and wealth distribution when the population is based on a common language and culture.

Session II:
4. Professor Yuval Harari thinks that we now have global ecology and global economy, but we have national politics. This won’t work. We can either de-globalize the economy or globalize the political system. What do you think? Which route do you think the world should go with?

5. “What is the real cause of job loss?” Do you agree that the answer won’t be the Chinese or Mexicans, "it’s robots and algorithms. And more and more decisions are being taken by algorithms"? Do you see Taiwan is facing the similar problem? What are our government's solutions? Do you think in general Taiwan is moving towards more on globalism or nationalism?

6. If we go with “global governance”, what challenges will human beings be facing? Would you like to see it succeed or would you prefer a “nation-based” community? Why?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 3/25 (Sat.) Nationalism vs. Globalism (Host: Iris)

文章 Rock »

I dare not say that I have enough bandwidth because I'm kind of snowed under recently, but I'd like to try it anyway.

(Quote)..., if something doesn't work, let's go back. And you see it all over the world, that people, almost nobody in the political system today, has any future-oriented vision of where humankind is going. Almost everywhere, you see retrograde vision: "Let's make America great again," (unquote)

Isn't it a bit like the thing we talked about yesterday? Languages evolve and change, but some people still want to keep the dying ones and even bring back the dead ones. May I say it's also kind of retrograde?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

The main post has been revised and the discussion questions are provided now.
My lousy sales pitch were also added, not sure if it is going to work? :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Wow! Homework by Iris the captain again! Isn't it intimidating!
No problem. I will catch up. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
DannyTeng
YOYO member
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週一 3月 20, 2017 9:12 am

文章 DannyTeng »

Inspiring!! Each question deserves an academic paper to explain and disscuss! Looking forward to Saturday discussion:)
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

A few months ago, I attended a support group meeting for Congenital melanocytic nevi/mole patients (a type of birthmark covering large area of their body). Since it’s a very rare skin problem (less than 0.002%), in the past the patients tried to avoid attention in any fashion and they fought for the fear of possible skin cancer themselves. But with the internet and FB, they connected to each other, and they formed a support group, which they call it “family” (a small family, just a couple dozens in Taiwan). Now they even link themselves to their international family. Awhile ago, they invited a famous Ukrainian girl joining their meeting. This girl has over 45% of her body covered by Congenital melanocytic nevi/mole, but she decided to come out of her little world and showed herself to the world and she became an advocate for other patients in their “family”. It was very inspiring to see the strong support and binding in their “family”. Without internet or FB, it would be impossible for them to connect with each other and discuss their medical experience or share their fear of future all together.

I am sure it is very easy to think of a completely opposite example which the internet resulted in something awfully bad. We don’t need to think “globalization” is a technology buzzword or some kind of philosophical/political term. The most effective way to prepare a YoYo discussion is actually “bring your stories”. Through the story, you can connect to our audience and you will feel comfortable to illustrate your viewpoints.

You can tell stories of others, or a cultural story or a political story. Using “story” to illustrate the globalism or nationalism and tell us your thoughts. There is no “correct” answer. (If there is, then, the whole world would not be so chaotic! )

-- I know the topic is hard to sell... but still hope to see you Saturday! :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

That is a touching story. A global support for disadvantaged people is a great idea, and it's inspiring that they made it come true, too.

Thanks to Iris, I can think of some examples now. How about wikipedia? It's a very positive global efforts putting together to share information. On the other hand, torrents, though evil in many people's eyes, is also sharing information in a different way. They seem somehow similar to each other: both are built by nobody, benefit their users a lot, getting more and more popular, and killing their big enterprise competitors. I bet the editors of Encyclopedia Britannica wish they could announce wikipedia illegal. :lol:

Google map killed 大輿地圖.
Youtube killed 華納音樂
NyaaTorrents killed Tokyo Hot.

What else? :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

my life is boring so, i don't have any story about Globalism to share. but then, being a cynic and a sceptic i have to say if people still separate themselves by nationality then, there will never be real Globalisation as we craving, which will be beneficial to all of us. actually i, kind of, disagree with the professor. i don't think neither to de-globalize the economy nor to globalize the political system is possible, though the latter, if i don't take it wrong, is what will really do great to all the people on this globe.. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:That is a touching story. A global support for disadvantaged people is a great idea, and it's inspiring that they made it come true, too.
Thanks to Iris, I can think of some examples now. How about wikipedia? It's a very positive global efforts putting together to share information. On the other hand, torrents, though evil in many people's eyes, is also sharing information in a different way. They seem somehow similar to each other: both are built by nobody, benefit their users a lot, getting more and more popular, and killing their big enterprise competitors. I bet the editors of Encyclopedia Britannica wish they could announce wikipedia illegal. :lol:
Google map killed 大輿地圖.
Youtube killed 華納音樂
NyaaTorrents killed Tokyo Hot.
What else? :lol:
You can say "the world becomes more integrated" or "the world is taken by more powerful players". The former sounds positive and the latter problematic, but this is two sides of the same coin.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Luis Ko 寫:my life is boring so, i don't have any story about Globalism to share. but then, being a cynic and a sceptic i have to say if people still separate themselves by nationality then, there will never be real Globalisation as we craving, which will be beneficial to all of us. actually i, kind of, disagree with the professor. i don't think neither to de-globalize the economy nor to globalize the political system is possible, though the latter, if i don't take it wrong, is what will really do great to all the people on this globe..
"Those who tell the stories rule society." -- Plato.
Not I like it, but that seems to be a human nature. People buy stories before they buy stuff. (Maybe a good topic next time! :) )

Luis, do you mean you think "globalizing the political system is better for all the people on this globe"? And you think professor Harari was against the idea?
And so, for question 6, you think "global governance" is better for the human beings than "nation-based" community?
But why?
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Iris Wu 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:my life is boring so, i don't have any story about Globalism to share. but then, being a cynic and a sceptic i have to say if people still separate themselves by nationality then, there will never be real Globalisation as we craving, which will be beneficial to all of us. actually i, kind of, disagree with the professor. i don't think neither to de-globalize the economy nor to globalize the political system is possible, though the latter, if i don't take it wrong, is what will really do great to all the people on this globe..
"Those who tell the stories rule society." -- Plato.
Not I like it, but that seems to be a human nature. People buy stories before they buy stuff. (Maybe a good topic next time! :) )

Luis, do you mean you think "globalizing the political system is better for all the people on this globe"? And you think professor Harari was against the idea?
And so, for question 6, you think "global governance" is better for the human beings than "nation-based" community?
But why?

yeah, i agree what Plato said. that's why i'm a nobody and, still single now.. XD

for the questions, i should have said i agree and disagree with the professor. yes, guess "globalizing the political system" would be better for all the people, if i don't take the meaning wrong. for that i think the professor also agrees but, then again, both of the solutions he mentioned will never be possible in my opinion. that's why i said disagree as well. and why i say global governance is better is because under the system there will be, comparably, no boundary in the world, if not really no, when compares to the system of "nation-based community". under "nation-based community", people separate themselves in the first place. one nation might think they are better or superior than others so that they could spoil other nations. or, for the sake of so-called protecting their own people, one might get advantages at the expense of others'. so where's globalisation?

shame i can't make it, and i don't know how to write down all my ideas here. anyway, just remember i'm a cynic and a sceptic haa~ :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Luis Ko 寫: shame i can't make it, and i don't know how to write down all my ideas here. anyway, just remember i'm a cynic and a sceptic haa~ :lol:
Luis cannot come .. :cccry:

For most parts, we are probably on the same page, but never say never! Guess when will "global governance" become possible? When aliens invade! :wink:

Ps. I just added an article in the post, which lists the pros and cons of globalization more clearly: You can just reference this article for the meeting discussion. Thanks!
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

No matter it's a good weather or not, :cry:

a meaningful meeting is expected to begin . :D
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

I just started preparing for the meeting. After browsing the contents, questions and all the discussions here. I become worried if it has been too late for me to get prepared before coming to the meeting... :?
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Kooper 寫:I just started preparing for the meeting. After browsing the contents, questions and all the discussions here. I become worried if it has been too late for me to get prepared before coming to the meeting... :?
Dear Kooper:
I think it was my fault to make it more difficult than it should be. Please just use this article:
Pros and Cons of Globalization: Controversy and Discussion
https://blog.udemy.com/pros-and-cons-of-globalization/
Or any similar one (related to pros and cons of globalization) and it will be more than enough for the discussion.

Again, so sorry to make it more troublesome. Rock has already complained that I am too serious! Hope you can come and have a chat to ease my guilty feeling! :)
回覆文章