4/15(Sat.) Do Stars Decide Who We Are?(Host: Danny)

DannyTeng
YOYO member
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週一 3月 20, 2017 9:12 am

4/15(Sat.) Do Stars Decide Who We Are?(Host: Danny)

文章 DannyTeng »

Dear all,
Lately, I've been learning one of the most popular fortune-telling methodologies in the Oriental culture--紫微斗數.
Are you interested in consulting fortune tellers? Can our fate be predicted by the combinations of stars?
I suppose we are all intrigued by the mysterious veil of fortune telling, so feel fun to share your opinions!

In first session, we will focus more on the individual experiences about fortune telling, so if you don’t have time to prepare for the discussion, you don’t really have to go through
every studying reference. However, the first article is recommended! In second session, we will turn on the rational part of our brain, and look deeper into psychology behind fortune telling.

1. Fortune-Telling: Fact, Fiction & Fantasy
2. The Chinese Zodiac, explained
3. Zodiac Signs and Astrology Signs Meanings and Characteristics
4. The past, present and future of fortunetelling
5. 'Addiction' to Fortune Telling
6. Why Do Humans Have Palm Lines?
7. Debate between Freewill and Determinism (This is for reference only, we are not interested in going so deep into the psychology)

Guidance for the discussion( session 1):
1. Do you read zodiac signs? What is your western/ Chinese zodiac sign? Do you think the descriptions of the zodiac sign fits your personality?
Which part do you think matches, and which part does not?

2. Will you use it as a tool to introduce yourself/ understand a person? Do you have any preference?

3. Do you have other experiences in fortune telling? For example, do you consult with the fortune tellers, or seek divine guidance in the beginning of a year?
Do you consult with your lunar calendar before your make a crutial deciion? Please tell us your story.

4. Do you know some of the interesting cultures/ stories relating to zodiac signs?

Guidance for the discussion( session 2):(Update)
In the second session, we will divide into two groups -- Free will vs Determinism. Each group will take turns providing your opinions.
* For the first round, each group will decide a person to speak for your group and offer us three main reasons why you think human behavior is determined, or is following their free will.
** For the second round, each group will decide another person to give some feed backs to the opposite group's statements.

5. What is the psychology behind fortune telling? Why, when, or what do people consult with fortune tellers?

6. Free will vs Determinism?
According to the fifth question, can life be predicted/ defined by the combination of stars? Please decide which side you will take before session 2.
A. If you believe in Determinism, you might think that there is a destination in your life, say your mission on Earth is determined when you come into this world, and there are some techniques or methodologies to
predict your behaviors based on your birthday, birth chart, or biological features...etc.
B. If you are a follower of free will, you might think that your behavior is based only on your logical decisions and what benefits you the most. There is no universal rule to decide who you are,
and of course, you don't believe in fortune telling.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 DannyTeng 於 週日 4月 09, 2017 8:03 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 4/15(Sat.) Do Stars Decide Who We Are?(Host: Danny)

文章 Rock »

Wow! This cliche topic has been totally turned into an interestingly inspiring one, exploring not only fortune telling but also science, philosophy and human nature. I cannot wait to discuss these ideas with you guys.

Great job, Danny. You don't look like a rookie; you are better than we veterans in Yoyo. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
DannyTeng
YOYO member

文章 DannyTeng »

Many thanks for your support!! If there is anything that I should improve, please feel free to tell me :)
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

This is how I interpret star signs: When men know nothing about it, it has no impact on us, be it positive or adverse. Whether our personalities fit our star signs depends solely on the luck of the draw. The moment people learn of it is where the zodiac comes in. The better we know about astrology, the stronger subliminal hint it drops to us. We will unconsciously strengthen behaviors and attitudes that match descriptions of the signs and avoid the opposite ones. Step by step, we will end up acting exactly like what any particular star signs suggest.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

DannyTeng 寫:Many thanks for your support!! If there is anything that I should improve, please feel free to tell me :)
Yeah... you are doing it like a pro. I guess the only thing I am not satisfied with, if any, is that your debut comes too late. :mrgreen:
DannyTeng
YOYO member

文章 DannyTeng »

Dear Cooper,
My pleasure to have your support! I hope you enjoy the topic!
DannyTeng
YOYO member

文章 DannyTeng »

Dear all,
In session 2, we are going to have some critical thinking only, we are not going to debate XD

For people who cannot decide which side you are on, just to make the question simple, consider this:

1.Do you think you have a free will? Your behavior is always based on your free will, and nothing other than your free will influences your behavior.(at what scale, from 1~10?)

2.Can one's behavior be predicted?
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

great one~ i like critical thinking discussion.. hope i can make it to the second session~ :ccry:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

This link contains a tool to calculate detail information for your star signs.

http://tw.xingbar.com/shiningscope/scope-a2.php
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

The second session is not a debate? No problem, we can turn every topic into a debate. Come on, let's fight!! :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Agreed. Amazing young blood! I should re-retire! Haha!

At first glance you thought this might be just a sensational talk, but it turns out a heavy-duty philosophical debate!
Now I am thinking I am going to attend the meeting on my own "free will" or I am "destined" to go to the meeting this afternoon? :roll:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I guess Iris won't get re-retired, or she would miss the fun of a meeting like this one hosted by Danny. The attendee list: Dan, Tashi, Steve, Eileen, Rock, Cindy, Tina, Pallas, Shirley, Iris, David, Gloria, Catherine, Jessica, Luis, Rosie, Julian, Jeffery, Carrie. Thank you all for coming.
DannyTeng
YOYO member

文章 DannyTeng »

Very grateful for your participation!!
Never find it boring to discuss the meaning of life XD
I was originally planning to give a tedious speech, but I thought that would be a killjoy, so I would just post it here . It's really a pleasure to join yoyo!

In the end of the discussion, let me provide my opinion.

I believe in determinism, however with a weak free will.
I think our personality is somehow determined when we are born, because our behaviors have its root in our emotion, which is produced in our brains, and
our brains are designed by our genes, which is absolutely not in our control.

Let me give you an example, what will do if you are in danger? Under normal circumstances, we will try to avoid it.
However, how do you regard a situation as danger? At what scale will you start to react?
We cannot control how we feel, it is the mechanism that embedded in our brain that decides how we feel.
If the intention of our behavior is based on sth we cannot control, then we cannot say that our behavior rely only on our free will

In Freud’s Ice burg theory, he argued that our actions and our thoughts are controlled by the unconsciousness.
The part under the surface is so deep that we do not know its origin…

Although we cannot control how we feel, we can still decide how we react! Through educations and experiences, we learn to think and act rationally, more or less.

Our brains like stories, we are not likely to accept something that comes out of nowhere.
Without a reason, how do we make a difference?
There must be a reason that we are like what we are today.

Just to emphasize, fortune telling itself assume determinism of human’s life, however, the act of seeking instructions is an act of free will. If you cannot change anything, why are you so curious about your future?

So, this raise another question: can one’s behavior be predicted? Is there a way to look through the ice burg?

No, I don’t think so. I don’t think there is way to precisely predict one’s behavior!

This is just like the uncertainty principle in quantum physics.Before the outcome really take place, you can only measure the possibilities, let’s say the average consequence.And you cannot observe it without interference.

However, fortune telling methodologies provide a simplified model to observe the cause and effect of one’s personality. It provides an explanation for what has happened in your life.

It is a SWOT analysis about one’s innate characteristics. What is your strength? What is your weakness?
What is the opportunity if you conquer your weakness ?
What is the threat if you misuse your strength?

Through the practices of fortune telling you can understand yourself,You can accept yourself, you can be a better self.

Can stars decide who you are?
No, you decide who you are.
Life is a long journey full of challenges, be brave!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Wow! What a long ending! You just broke another record, Danny. I wanna share some fun of yours. Let me take the free will side. :lol:

And you do know that debating is all about definitions, right?
You catch a fish from the sea, put it in a fishbowl. The fish is not free.
You put the fish back into the sea. The fish is free.
You suddenly found out, "Hey, but the fish cannot get out of water; it's still not free."

Of course it's not true. The fish can swim freely in the sea now. No one can deny the fact.

Just like what we talked about at your hosting, life is full of choices and decisions. Who makes the decisions?

Someone may argue that, no matter what decisions we make, life still seems following certain route. Well, this is a myth and illusion. Of course, we are limited by genes, family, etc., as fish by water, but no one can take away our freedom of will. On the crossroads, turning right and left is totally different. If you chose not to major in finance but art, you life would be different now.

Free will doesn't guarantee a happy ending; neither is it always rational. It's just "free". When we chose to go a certain way, it's not always wise and sometimes it turns out to be a total detour of our plan. We may complain about God or fate, or put the blame on something unknown, but in the end, we all know that, we make the decisions by ourselves. In the room, everybody walks blindly. The heading, however, is decided by us. Bumping into an ugly naked guy or sexy bikini girl is not a destiny; it's the result of one's choices.

Even if someone put a gun on our head forcing us to go certain way, we can still go against His will. (Another story teller might tell you, "then God grins and says that He knew it would end up like this....", but that's just too religious.) Let me answer my previous question: we make the decision, and we live with it. That's life.

Your turn. :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

great~ this is exactly what i tried to say.. finally it's you yourself who have to make the final decision and, you are indeed conscious of them. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章