4/29(Sat)How to Slack Off at Work(andNotGetCaught)(H:Kooper)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

4/29(Sat)How to Slack Off at Work(andNotGetCaught)(H:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

Here comes a very practical topic to office workers. The article is lengthy and so I just quoted part of it. I however strongly suggest you link to its original source and read the whole piece because it is very entertaining. :lol:
We're all for productivity, but some days you just need to find a way to de-stress and relax a little bit. Unfortunately, goofing off at work makes you look bad and can get you in a lot of trouble. Here are some ways you can pass the time on a slow day and keep Sauron's eye off of you.

Why "Slacking Off" Is Necessary
Working nonstop for 8 hours a day is sure to burn you out, and taking a little break time can refresh your mind. In fact, you probably already know that taking a bit of slacking off can make you more productive. Here's the problem: the times when you need to take a breather don't always line up with your scheduled break time. Plus, many of us are in offices that are pretty strict and won't approve of these breaks. The tips in this post, when used responsibly, can help you de-fry your brain and recharge your batteries without incurring the wrath of your boss.

First: Keep the Boss Off Your Trail
First and foremost, you need to look like you're busy doing your work. You don't necessarily have to be slacking off. You may have other things you need to get done that just isn't applicable to your job at that time. Either way, you need to master the art of looking busy. Get the big important stuff out of the way. Get ready to update the boss on your work at the drop of a hat. Always know what you're working on. Keep a desk that doesn't look completely unused. Things like this will help you maintain your "busy" illusion, and give you a good reputation with your supervisor(s).

Browse the Web Like a Ninja
Guaranteed to be the number one time-waster at most jobs, browsing the internet is quickly replacing baseball as America's favorite past time. Whether you're on your phone or your work computer, you're probably guilty of this every day (it's okay, we all are). If you're going to do it, though, at least do it right. Here are some tips to keep it on the down low: ...(skipped) When you're browsing, be aware of your surroundings. Don't get caught because you were absorbed in a great article. It doesn't hurt to do a little visual angle recon either. When no one's around, take some time to figure out what monitor positions and angles give passerby the least amount of vision.

Get Your Game On
Tired of browsing the web? If you're feeling daring, you can play some games. The trouble here is that your IT department probably has your machine locked down so you can't install software or open up your Steam client and download your library. Those kinds of games aren't very inconspicuous, anyway. To keep from getting busted, you're going to need to get creative. There are tons of free browser based games out there, but here are some of the best ones for work. Why? Because they make it look like you're working... (skip)... Alternatively, play something secretly on your smartphone. Load up your device with games and bust it out when things get slow. Some jobs don't care if you have your phone, but many enforce a strict "no phone" policy, so be careful. In some cases, staring down at your phone might be more obvious than looking at your monitor.

Nap It Out
If you had a late night or a really exhausting morning, grabbing a little shuteye might be in order. We know that sleep is essential to maintaining productivity, so it's really to help you work better. Right? Sleeping on the job looks really bad, so you'll need to be extra careful. Truthfully, your best option is to try and grab a few winks during your lunch break and then eat at your desk. If that's not an option, there are still a few things you can do. If you're going to sleep, make it a power nap and time it correctly. Sleep no more than 20 minutes because oversleeping can mess with you in more ways than one. You need to find a good spot too, and sometimes hiding is your only option. If you're going to disappear, though, take your phone with you. Set an alarm for how long you think you can slip away unnoticed or have an accomplice that'll text you the moment your boss starts wondering where you are.

Have Some Good Excuses Ready for When You Get Caught
At some point you're going to get busted, especially if you abuse these tips. It doesn't have to be game over, though. Keeping a handful of solid excuses up your sleeve can save your skin if you're caught napping or screwing around. Just make sure it's true. Honesty is the best policy here... (skip)

We're not suggesting you use these tips to slack off all day—that would be irresponsible (and would probably put your job on the line). Life, however, is not always black or white. Sometimes you need to find a way to recharge your batteries so you can get back to being productive. When the day is dragging you down, it's okay to find a little "me time." Just make sure you actually get your work done too!

Questions for Discussion
Session One
1. Did you feel a strong need to slack off at work before? What made you feel that way and how did you satisfy your need? Did you feel guilty taking care of this need?

2. Do you think mastering the art of looking busy is absolutely crucial to survive and even thrive in the workplace? Why and why not? What’s the benefits of looking busy rather than being actually busy? When do you consider it necessary to put on a busy look? How do you look busy? Which of the ways mentioned in the article are the most effective to maintain a “busy” illusion?

3. The article mentions studies finding that web surfing increases workers’ productivity. How often and when do you browse the Internet for fun in the line of duty? Do you feel refreshed and achieve higher productivity afterwards? Why do you think web surfing has this refreshing effects? How to do it right and reap the most benefit out of it?

3.5 Share your team meanings of the following expressions
- Get ready to update the boss on your work at the drop of a hat
- Load up your device with games and bust it out when things get slow

Session Two
4. When you felt super drowsy or completely wiped out at work, did you dare doze off for a while? If you didn’t, what did you do to fight against the physical needs? If you did, how did you take a brief nap without attracting others' attention? Did you make any excuses or give any reasons for the nap beforehand or afterwards in case it went noticed? Do you think companies should offer employees the flexibility to take a power nap when they truly need it?

5. Employees might think it super justifiable to slow down when needed but it’s definitely challenging for employers to feel agreeable. If you were running a business or leading a team and you found out that one of your direct or indirect reporters was twiddling their thumbs during workhour, how will you react?

6. Have you tried any of the web-based games or smartphone games in the office? Which of the games recommended by the author do you think is the most creative?

6.5 Share your team meanings of the following expressions
- If you have a late night or a really exhausting morning, grabbing a little shut-eye might be in order
- Those kinds of games aren’t very inconspicuous anyway
- List the synonyms of "sleep" being used in the article

Note: You will get rewards if using any of the listed expressions in your presentation.

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 4/29(Sat)How to Slack Off at Work(andNotGetCaught)(H:Koo

文章 Rock »

The ideas of turning down the brightness level of the monitor and the kill all boss key are great ideas. NSFW things seem safer now. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
DannyTeng
YOYO member
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週一 3月 20, 2017 9:12 am

文章 DannyTeng »

Slacking off at work~? I'm an expert!! I can teach you how to take a little nap without notice, and pretend you are as sober as usual XD However, I have to say sorry to Kooper, because I have an important meeting this Saturday for whole day, so I can't meet you till the party. Until then~
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

and i have my hair cut so, will see you later. until then.. XD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Luis, are you trying to ditch out on Kooper? :wink:
Don't worry, Kooper, I will be there, but before I go, I'll ask Danny how to snooze unnoticeably in the meeting! :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

ah~ i don't meant to la~ i'm just compelled to, because my hair tells me he is shy with people now.. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

We had a fun discussion, as usual. The attendees are: Rock, Gloria, Tashi, Jeffery, Ramesh, Jessica, Luis, Gavin, Anne, Steve, Iris, Vicent, Carrie, Eileen. Thank you for coming. See you next time.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章