6/20(Tue) Listen, Interact and relationships (Host: Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

6/20(Tue) Listen, Interact and relationships (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Hi Everyone,

As the title and let's cut to the chase.

For session I,
It's basically all about the talk below delivered by the hearing impaired musician Evelyn Glennie:

https://www.ted.com/talks/evelyn_glenni ... uage=zh-tw

Actually, I am not quite sure which kind of questions I should prepare yet. I've watched it for like 5 times. I didn't finish it every time
though, I was deeply attracted from the first time. I felt peace in it and I also love the way she made no matter through percussion instrument or ground. I can't help to use this as my topic as it's a valuable chance to share with you, my dear friends. Since I've got time, I choose to announce the material first and hope let's find out together what is the magic giving me peace and what interesting or touching stuff we could dig out and share when 6/20 comes.

Q1. Sound doesn't have any meaning itself but when we hear some sort of sound, we tend to feel something. Did you hate some sort of sound from one person or from one thing? For example, you hate someone's voice or you hate something's voice from some action like scratching iron.

Q2. My English name "Tashi" was originated from my Chinese nickname "大師" given by my college roommate. Some they call me "大師, 最近好嗎", I felt they were saying "Hey, mother fucker, you are still alive". But when other friends call me "Hey, 大師", I could feel they were telling "Oh, the interesting guy" or "oh my lovely friend" and sometimes it's "I don't give you a shit". Do you have this kind of experience? Was the feeling defined by your relationship or still something else like emotion?

Q3. In the video, Evelyn Glennie asked the audience to try to play a sound of snow and it reminded me that I already been trained to limit my own ability to some sorts of sound and also bigger DB of sound. For now there is still one week, please try to experience those smaller DB of sound around you. Some examples could be "wave a tissue", "open a book and turn pages", "tiny rain on tree leaves" and son.

For session II,

Hmmmm....Actually, I also don't know what to talk either. What an irresponsible host haha...
Trust me, I can make it. :D Says me.
The material will be about stories and I use the talk from an African writer, Chris Abani:

https://www.ted.com/talks/chris_abani_o ... anguage=en

I also watched this for a few times. Because he is funny while doing the talk so this is beneficial for me to use it as a material for English listening practice. However, I also kind of agree with him that we shape who we are by stories especially by those we've been through.

Q1. During your histories of growth, which of them made minor or great changes to you? Like your concept of managing a romantic relationship, the way you define yourself as a Taiwanese or Chinese, the standard of health you should maintain and so on.
I'd be honored to share with you and I believe sometimes the change could be just from a stranger.

Q2. Also in the first place about this talk, I was going to ask you what would you learn about Africa from this video because it's the title right? Somehow I noticed that he didn't say much about it. But I still felt something and I seemed to know more about Africa. Why is that?

Q3. Africa or Taiwan, some place you live, some place you are familiar with, some place you are curious or a land you treat it as the home town. We might have multiple relationships between us and a place. How about you and other people? What are the relationships between you and your parents, your sons and daughters and even you and your colleagues?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 6/20(Tue) Listen, Interact and relationships (Host: Tash

文章 Rock »

It's good to watch TED talks and have a chance to discuss about it. They have a great discussion part on their website, too.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

i have to admit that i can't really catch the points of this two talks, even after i have read the articles.. :ccry:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Anyway, the weather was fine, people still had fun. The attendees are: Shirley, Ronald, Joseph Jr., Yvonne, Wen-han, Tashi (host), Morris, Sabrina, Steve, Luis, Rock, Chris, Janice, Amy, Ken, Kelly, Julian. Thank you for coming and see you next time.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章