7/4 (Tue.) Arcadia - The Spider Spirit (host: Rock)

回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

7/4 (Tue.) Arcadia - The Spider Spirit (host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Hi, I'm hosting this meeting of music, party and festival. There are videos and music clips for your warm-up, a little bit reading and a chance to know different electronic dance musics (EDM). Hopefully, we can tell trance from house in the end? :o

Session One

Glastonbury Festival
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival
...Glastonbury is the largest greenfield festival in the world, and is now attended by around 175,000 people, requiring extensive infrastructure in terms of security, transport, water, and electricity supply. The majority of staff are volunteers, helping the festival to raise millions of pounds for charity organisations.

...In addition to contemporary music, the festival hosts dance, comedy, theatre, circus, cabaret, and other arts. Leading pop and rock artists have headlined, alongside thousands of others appearing on smaller stages and performance areas.

...Glastonbury Festival is a five-day festival of contemporary performing arts that takes place near Pilton, Somerset (England).

Arcadia Metamorphosis - Glastonbury

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/arcadia/

Since the dawn of time, people have gathered around fire to celebrate the human spirit. From the timeless magnetism of a crackling campfire to a 50 tonne spider shooting 60 foot flames into the night sky, this primal rite has remained constant through the ages.

Born and bred on Glastonbury soil, Arcadia set off on a nomadic journey across continents. With a nationalist tide rising, the ultimate outsider, a giant fire breathing alien spider sought to explore the shared elements that bind us together, creating a vivid sensory world where people from all backgrounds and cultures could come together in an eruption of collective energy.

Arcadia return home to Worthy Farm after having circumnavigated the globe twice in 2016. Gleaming with intensity, the iconic Spider is built from repurposed military and industrial hardware, with each piece telling its own story and every last bolt charged with the energy of thousands.

Mirroring that ethos of transformation is Arcadia’s acclaimed Metamorphosis show which channels ideas of physical and metaphysical evolution. Metamorphosis sees aliens flying from the sky, new creatures born from spellbinding cocoons, baby spiders crawling overhead and 6 million volts of lightning played like an otherworldly musical instrument.

With a pulsating line-up throughout the weekend, Sunday sees a special early performance of Metamorphosis as the sun sets over the festival. A ceremonial moment to begin the final hours, Sunday is also the perfect time for kids to come see the show.

Step inside the ring of fire for an explosion of raw sensory mayhem, high octane connection, immersive symphonies and rampaging euphoria. This is Arcadia.

Questions
1. What music festivals or performing arts shows do you know? Have you ever joined any of them? Which one do you like the best? Share your experience as one of the audience there.
2. Have you ever performed on stage? What did you do and how did you feel? Do you prefer to perform for a large audience or a small one? If there is a chance, would you perform for Yoyo people? Why or why not?
3. Arcadia Spider is coming to Taipei again in November. We will discuss the pros and cons of this event, and see who a better party animal is.

Session Two
A Beginner's Guide To EDM
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/beginners-guide-to-edm

Going to a school in Western New York, you really get a sense of the type of music people listen to. I am from Northern New Jersey, right by Manhattan, and back home, I honestly never heard any of my friends listening to country. When I came here, I never realized how big country music was. When people come up to me in the library while I am studying, they sometimes ask, "How can you study to that party music?" or "All EDM sounds the same, don't you think?" In my honest opinion, though EDM is often described as (and is usually stereotyped as) party music, there are a lot of genres and different sounds of EDM. It is like a bag of Skittles. They are all called Skittles, and they all look the same - round, shiny, and colorful - until you taste them individually and take the time to get to know them individually, you don't get the sense of appreciation you have for every little single morsel. Here's a list of artists and some songs that I not only like, but hopefully will finally put an end to this "it all sounds the same" nonsense. It might just get you curious enough to start exploring EDM for yourself.

https://aes-global.live/2015/05/20/%E4% ... %E6%9B%B2/
types of EDM

Questions
1. Activity. The host will play several clips of EDM. Please guess which genres do they belong to and which genres do you like better.
2. EDM is popular now. We can hear it in the movies, lounge bars, parties, music festivals and clubs. Do you like this music? Where is the best place to enjoy EDM, at home by yourself, in a lounge bar with some friends or in a club with a big crowd?
3. If you are in a party and the host invites people to dance, would you join them? Would you be the first few people to dance or you'd rather wait until most people are already in the pool. Why? What do you think of those people who never dance?
4. EDM is often connected with night clubs, alcohol, sometimes even sex or drugs. Does it seem a dangerous thing to you? What kind of people would go to night clubs regularly? What do they do there? Are many of them bad people?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re: 7/4 (Tue.) Arcadia - The Spider Spirit (host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

This is what the so-called number 1 DJ of the world does in his festival.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

the first time i heard the name Glastonbury was from a girl i adored ages ago. now i still have no even a modicum of idea about all this music stuff, not to mention those Rock mentioned.. XD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

guess i'm really an insipid old bore. after watching the short documentary about the Metamorphosis show from Glastonbury 2015, i admit, no doubt, it's really an amazing show. but still, just like traveling, i don't think the show itself would be the thing to make me desire to go. instead, it's always who i go with that matters. even this amazing show cannot arouse my interest. i'm really a boring guy, aren't i? XDD

by the way, because of my friend i know about them, coldplay is not bad ha~
one of their songs you have heard form a clip above, but, let's say, a re-mixed version. here is the original one.

and i also love this song very much, and the MV maybe, but not the band.. XD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

It's totally fine. You don't have to be a soccer player to appreciate a soccer game; most of the audience are not players, either.

Like it or not, EDM is in our everyday life. And I guess it is getting more and more popular. I'm also a bystander and have never really joined an EDM event, but, those people seem to have a lot of fun, don't they?
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Rock 寫:It's totally fine. You don't have to be a soccer player to appreciate a soccer game; most of the audience are not players, either.

Like it or not, EDM is in our everyday life. And I guess it is getting more and more popular. I'm also a bystander and have never really joined an EDM event, but, those people seem to have a lot of fun, don't they?

but the thing is you have got to be interested in soccer game/EDM first.. XD

anyway, hope i can bring a friend together. she really knows somethings about it haa~
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

to be honest, i didn't think there would be many people attending the meeting since i didn't think people would have enough knowledge to talk about the topic, for which i think it would stop them from coming haa~ but it turned out i was wrong.. XD

though we got no too many people there, but still quite some. and though we didn't have enough knowledge to talk about music(festivals) deeply, we did have exciting discussion and a meeting full of laughter, a lot of fun really~ got to admit preconceived notions are bad, really as well haa~ 8)

by the way, i forgot to mention one activity mentioned at my table in first session, Wings For Life 全球路跑. though it sounds like a jogging activity, it actually combines jogging and festival(music) together, according to Claire. you jog first. then when, let's say, you are "done", you can go back to where you started. there's a stage for people to enjoy concert like music festival, sort of like this. if you are interested in it, you can register here.. no, i mean you can google it to get more information. it really worth giving it a try i would say, though i don't have the experience myself yet haa~ :lol:

anyway, i did feel great last night!!~ ^++++^
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hey, Luis, when I was drafting this topic, I thought it a great idea: party and music, who wouldn't love it? Then I saw your post; I lost the confidence. Yeah, it doesn't look like a popular topic, and maybe even sucks. Fortunately, it turned out so well. Many thanks to everyone who attended the meeting, especially your lovely friend Zoe who gave her first-hand experience at Glastonbury.

The attendee list: Luis, Zoe (special guest), Claire, Ken, Yvonne, Jason Jr., Eileen, Amy, Steve, Jessica, Shirley, Julian, Way, Joseph Jr, Rock (host).
回覆文章