07/25(Tue)What Makes Us Feel Good About Our Work (Wen-han)

回覆文章
頭像
wenhan1122
Vice President
文章: 175
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2008 3:29 pm

07/25(Tue)What Makes Us Feel Good About Our Work (Wen-han)

文章 wenhan1122 »

07/25(Tue) What Makes Us Feel Good About Our Work (Host: Wen-han)

Dear YoYo members,

It’s my pleasure to be the YoYo host again for our gathering on Tuesday night, 07/25. Originally I was thinking to discuss the topic of sunk cost fallacy, however, per the comment from our yoyo president on my last hosting, I decided to select a more sensible topic for this gathering.

Dan Ariely is a Professor at Duke University researching behavioral economics. In this talk, he tried to quantify how much the money could drive our passion to work and possible factors in between. Please spare your time, around 20 minutes, and click below link to watch the video clip prior to attending this gathering, thanks!

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_wh ... transcript

QUESTIONS

SESSION I
1. In Dan Ariely's example of mountain climbing mentioned in the beginning of the video, he emphasized it's not the money driving to reach the peak, but challenges and fights. Did you have any journeys which brought you the similar experiences (they could be from your work, traveling, or any adventures you ever had) that you questioned yourselves why you were doing it but eventually you have gained a lot from it? Was money the main factor driving you to achieve it? If not, what were the other factors driving?

Let’s discuss the importance of meaning of work that Dan Ariely tried to address in his research,
2. Do you consider the work of your current job (or past job) meaningful? If yes, what are/were the reasons you like it and consider it meaningful (helping people, creative, being properly appreciated, financial rewards....)?
2a. For some reasons, if the employer has to cut the original pay half, would you still stay with the same job? Or, what the bottom line is for you to stay with?
2b. If you don’t/didn’t consider the work of your job meaningful, please share with us the reasons as well.

3. Dan Ariely believes that, Adam Smith’s efficiency was effective for industrial revolution, but for today’s knowledge economy, Karl Max’ “meaning” should be more suitable for this society. Do you agree with Dan Ariely’s statement? If yes, why? If not, why not?

SESSION II
4. One of the recent debates in NCCU arguing if it's useless to study History. The author, via this link https://www.thenewslens.com/article/71390, defends that we should, on contrary, use more of the liberal arts graduates to fit in coming waves of knowledge economy. Do you agree with what this article defends for? If yes, please share with us your reasons. Or, if not, please feel free to let us know why you don't agree so.

5. In this video, it mentioned the example of his student and a case of a Seattle company about how depressed they were for their programs to be canceled and were not appropriately appreciated. Did you ever encounter a similar situation in your job (or past job)? If you did, how did you feel? Was you or your team properly recognized?

6. Do/Did you ever work with a manager or superior who really knows how to motivate the teams or appreciate the efforts of the individuals or teams? How did/does s/he do?
6a. Is motivation or appreciation equal to monetary reward? Or, is money eventually still more practical to use as a mean to motivation/appreciation? Please share with us your opinions.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期三聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 wenhan1122 於 週二 7月 25, 2017 11:27 am 編輯,總共編輯了 7 次。
The real peace is not merely the absence of warfare, but the presence of justice
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

Re: 07/25(Tue)What Makes Us Feel Good About Our Work (Wen-ha

文章 Laura »

It's the sensible topic, indeed.

Addition, hope president could announce the date of yoyo's anniversary, I would fine tune the time among my tight work-arrangement. :drink:

Thanks V.P. Wen-han, let me use this zone. :ssmile:
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

At first, it seemed not so easy to get the idea of this talk, especially when it's from a deep thinker whose name is Wen-han. But then it turned out to be easy to understand and very thought provoking-- and practically useful, too. Now I know why those DIY 文創 products are so expensive.... :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Rock 寫:At first, it seemed not so easy to get the idea of this talk, especially when it's from a deep thinker whose name is Wen-han. But then it turned out to be easy to understand and very thought provoking-- and practically useful, too. Now I know why those DIY 文創 products are so expensive.... :lol:
Before reading Rock's comments above, I had silently wondered at the meaning of "a more sensible topic" at Wenhan's first paragraph. Now I got it.... it's a polite way to say this is an easier topic.
No wonder this time I have less difficulty to read the questions. :o
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

We talked about what's meaningful when we work; we could also think about what's meaningful in life. The simple experiment which disassembled all the lego works in front of the workers made them unhappy, made them feel meaningless, empty. But that's exactly what life will treat us, no matter how rich or important we are, in the end. Maybe the Linking Park guy figured it out?

Michael Angelo passed his work, legacy. It's true. But does it even matter? To an atheists who is brain-washed by secularism, the answer is no. The meaning thing mentioned in the talk is nothing but an illusion, if one takes life and existence into consideration.

But we still go for it, and we like it. That's what makes us human. BTW, I have been practicing positive thinking recently. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

It was great talk and great discussion. The good people we had: Rock, Jason, Tina, Yvonne, Wen-han, Way, Joseph, sherry, Luis, Alicia, Steve, Claire, Ean, Ken, Light, Shirley, Danny, Andrew. Many many thanks for coming.
回覆文章