文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

10/17 (Tue.) Crisis (host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Session One
Crisis

圖檔

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis

Crisis is often linked to the concept of stress. In occidental culture, the term is often used to suggest a negative or fraught experience while in UK as a hazardous event and in oriental cultures like China it means danger and opportunity (Chinese characters used are Wei and Chi). In general crisis is the situation of a complex system (family, economy, society) when the system functions poorly, an immediate decision is necessary, but the causes of the dysfunction are not immediately identified.

Crisis has several defining characteristics. Seeger, Sellnow, and Ulmer say that crises have four defining characteristics that are "specific, unexpected, and non-routine events or series of events that [create] high levels of uncertainty and threat or perceived threat to an organization's high priority goals." Thus the first three characteristics are that the event is

1. unexpected (i.e., a surprise)
2. creates uncertainty
3. is seen as a threat to important goals
Venette argues that "crisis is a process of transformation where the old system can no longer be maintained." Therefore the fourth defining quality is the need for change. If change is not needed, the event could more accurately be described as a failure.

Apart from natural crises that are inherently unpredictable (volcanic eruptions, tsunami etc.) most of the crises that we face are created by man. Hence the requirements of their being 'unexpected' depends upon man failing to note the onset of crisis conditions. Some of our inability to recognize crises before they become dangerous is due to denial and other psychological responses that provide succor and protection for our emotions.

Types of crises: political crisis, economic crisis and financial crisis, environmental disaster, natural disaster, endangered species, international crisis, personal crisis, etc..

Questions:
1. Please list all the crises and disasters you can think of. Which one is the most fearsome for you, and why?
2. Have you ever experienced any crises or disasters? What happened and how did you survive? Share your experience with us.
3. Crises sometimes make us stronger or even bring benefits. Are you fearless when facing a crisis, or even adventurous and risk-taking enough to welcome one? Why or why not?

Session Two
A boat carrying 500 refugees sunk at sea. The story of two survivors

This is a tragic event on the far side of the planet, but it can be ours, too.

https://www.ted.com/talks/melissa_flemi ... transcript

Questions
4. Have you thought about what to do if there is a war between Taiwan and China? Do we need to prepare anything in case it does happen?
5. Why did Doaa and Bossem choose to leave Egypt like that? Would you take the same risk if Taiwan was lost in the war with China?
6. As told in the first session, sometime crisis brings chances and opportunities. What chances and opportunities may there be if we have a war with China?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 10/17 (Tue.) Crisis (host: Rock)

文章 Luis Ko »

this is really a good topic i would say. not because it's serious, ok, i do like serious topic. instead, it's kind of a reminder. what if something serious happens in our life? people don't tend to think about this kind of question, especially when their life is good. this topic does provide us some food for thought and remind us to expect the unexpected as well, maybe? anyway, looking forward to it lo~
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Food for thought is a good one. As for if it's yummy or not? I don't know.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

sorry la~ it seemed i got toooo excited again yesterday, but i just tried to emphasize how cruel a WAR would be. of course i have never personally experienced it, however, i'm pretty sure it's just as cruel as you can imagine, or even beyond your imagination, and definitely the last thing in the world i want to see or experience. :ccry:

the following is a Ted talk from a war correspondent about her war zone experiences,

what i saw in the war
https://www.ted.com/talks/janine_di_gio ... in_the_war
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

文章 Dan »

That's okay, Luis. I like when Taiwanese people (almost) lose their tempers. It's refreshing. :D

No one is saying they want war with China. But we also want to live in freedom and be in control of our own destiny as Taiwanese.

I don't believe the pro-independence people in Taiwan are provoking China to attack, as you say. China will make a decision on whether to attack based on its own calculus. But in my opinion, if China believes many Taiwanese would give up without a fight, it is more--not less--likely to start a war. (I hope China didn't have a spy in our meeting last night--if it did, it might think that not many Taiwanese would fight back.) :-?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hey, Dan, you're good. Our meeting always gets upgraded when you are there. And it's also good that we can always say our opinions, thanks to the freedom which Chinese may not have. (But I doubt it. :lol: )

Talking about China's calculus (or calculation?), I think war is always an option on the list, but may not be the top one. They are, as anyone can see, also human beings. And dare I say that they are civilized human beings, too. Some people believe history repeats itself, and war is inevitable, which I don't agree. Maybe I am naive, but my belief is that people learn from mistakes, and war is a mistake that we, as civilized human beings, will get rid of eventually.

The confrontation stance between the two sides of the strait is ridiculous. There is no real hate; people are just being manipulated. It would be so sad and a shame if a war breaks up. Is it possible that people in China and Taiwan solve the problem peacefully, without a single bullet or a dead body? We don't know. But I think we have a chance. One day, if it does come true, would you be a bit impressed that we, as Chinese-speaking people, can do a good job supporting the value of civilization and humanity?
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

文章 Dan »

Rock, I salute you for holding a session on this sensitive but very important topic.

I am already impressed with Taiwan for establishing what I consider to be the best democracy in Asia, with the freest media. (Some might say that this freedom has resulted in a media that offers bad quality, but that's another matter.)

Also, Taiwan has demonstrated a strong commitment to protecting human rights. I would, however, like to see Taiwan move more forcefully on transitional justice to account for past wrongs.

Taiwan must be ever vigilant to safeguard its freedoms, both from the type of attack we talked about and also from within, from the so-called "fifth columnists."

Keep up the good work!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hi, Dan,

I must admit that we don't have much knowledge about "fifth columnists"; we are familiar with the funny slogan "匪諜就在你身邊", though. But I wonder if a fifth columnist would pay a visit to Yoyo because all we do is talk. It'd be a waste of time for him. :lol:

It's good to know that you like the topic. We cannot do this in Yoyo too much. But if you have time, we can always find another day to have an "extra meeting" talking about democracy, freedom or transitional justice in Taiwan. It'd be fun.

Thank you again for joining our meeting. You are our star. Nice to have your approval when you say "agree", and also the first-hand culture difference when you say "disagree". Both are good for us.
回覆文章