CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

11/21 (Tue) Two Articles (Host: Carmen)

文章 CarmenTao »

Dear YOYOs,
This is Carmen and I’m honored to host the meeting on 11/21. I believe most of us read international news from time to time and therefore we are going to read some IR news (international relations) for the first session of 11/21. However, we’ll be discussing some issues about interpersonal relationships at the workplace (“IR” as well) since we always see something similar in competition whether it’s between two people or two countries. If you don’t have time for such a long article, you may jump to the questions directly. Also, I think this is a good opportunity to practice describing personality or events in English.

The article for session 2 is an in-depth report of two boarder cities. Instead of politics, the suggested discussion topics are made to encourage us to think with different views. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Session 1
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/worl ... etnam.html

1. Is your workplace competitive? Competition can be either obvious or subtle. Can you give examples of the competition among your coworkers? If you stay long enough to observe, are there any changes to the competition over years?

2. Can you give us some examples of how people at your workplace could be manipulative or how people take advantage of others? You may also tell us how you have been impressed by some people, who are very good at handling people.

3. How do you handle the situation when you realize someone is taking advantage of you. How do you cope with the fact that there is always something frustrating at the workplace you can’t change?

4. What’s your philosophy when it comes to interpersonal relationships?

Session 2

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/worl ... ussia.html

1. Are you from Taipei or New Taipei (Xinbei City)? If not, can you tell us the differences between your hometown and the great Taipei area in terms of transportation, custom, food, people or even the administration. It’s fine if you’d like to give your opinions as a tourist of whichever Taiwan cities.

2.Do you travel abroad often? Please tell us what you like particularly about Taiwan after seeing other countries. You may also let your members know what you hope to improve in Taiwan if you do not have many experiences traveling abroad. Maybe your members can provide some comparisons based on their own experiences in response to your hope.

3.In terms of tourism, what do you think makes a welcoming spot to draw tourists? WiFi? Local people? Transportation? Spectacular wonders? Standard of living?

4. What’s your favorite city among those you’ve been to, local or foreign? Why?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 11/21 (Tue) Two Articles (Host: Carmen)

文章 Rock »

Carmen, as one of our best English learners here in Yoyo, is hosting. If you are new and you haven't joined her meetings, you'd be amazed at her wonderful skills tomorrow.

For the questions, I'd like to share one good thing we have here in Taipei. We have a very good public zoo which is not only big but also well managed. Last time we took a Canadian friend there and he was surprised to see that we have koalas, pandas, penguins, etc.. It's true you can visit the aquarium in Siam Paragon if you go to Bangkok, but, hey, the ticket is just expensive. Ching Mai Zoo is even more terrible. Their animals almost all died out except elephants.

What other good things do we have? Let me think.... :?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章