01/23(Tue.)Paul Bloom: The origins of pleasure(Host: Toshi)

回覆文章
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

01/23(Tue.)Paul Bloom: The origins of pleasure(Host: Toshi)

文章 toshi »

Dear YOYOs,

I am going to be the host in 01/23(Tue.)
Again I am going to use a TED talk as my topic. I hope you will be inspired by this TED talk.
Enjoy it!

Source: Paul Bloom: The origins of pleasure

Questions for discussion:
Session One:

1. Why do origins matter so much? Why do we respond so much to our knowledge of where something comes from? What do you think?

2. If you like somebody, they look better to you. Beauty is in the eyes of beholder. Do you agree with it? Do you think if you like somebody, you also like their behavior? Does it imply if somebody look worse to you, you don't like them or their behavior?

3. It hurts more if you believe somebody is doing to you on purpose. What do you think? If you are hurt by someone, do you think the hurt will be enlarged because you don't like him? (You wouldn't want to believe he isn't doing to you on purpose because you don't like him.)

Session Two:
4. Joshua Bell's experiment is interesting. Why 1,097 people who passed by, only seven stopped to listen to him, and only one recognized him? People don't like classical music? People couldn't tell the amazing sound of Stradivari violin? Or people just look down on street artists? Do you have the confidence to say that "if I were there, I would have recognized the beautiful sound of the violin or the excellent performance"?

5. MRI scanner experiment shows that if you believe you are drinking expensive stuff, you will feel happier. Barry Schwartz said "The secret to happiness is low expectations!" (The Paradox of Choice) Is there any connection with tonight's topic? You expect it's an original but in fact it's a forgery. That's why you are so unhappy? You are not expecting you are drinking very expensive wine, then when you know it's very expensive, you feel so happy? What do you think?

6. John Milton wrote, "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." What's your opinion?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先看過影片或閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 toshi 於 週一 1月 22, 2018 10:32 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 01/23(Tue.)Paul Bloom: The origins of pleasure(Host: Tos

文章 Kooper »

Finally...
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Finally, the big man is showing up. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Questions for discussion updated!!
Sorry for my late!! XD
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Rock 寫:Finally, the big man is showing up. :lol:
I know my belly is big!! ^^
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Kooper 寫:Finally...
XDDDDD
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Attendance Figures: 18

- Host:Toshi

- Participants:Alicia, Carmen, Chris, David, Georgia, Joseph, Josh, Luis, MoMo, Ryan, Shirley, Steven, Vicky, Way, Wen-han

- New Comer:Abraham (Abe), Timothy (Tim)

Thank you for coming! Hope you enjoy the discussion and ... the wine!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
回覆文章