12/23(Sat) Is bitcoin a bubble or a trend? (Host:Michael)

回覆文章
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

12/23(Sat) Is bitcoin a bubble or a trend? (Host:Michael)

文章 Michael-liu »

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency and worldwide payment system. It is the first decentralized digital currency, as the system works without a central bank or single administrator.The network is peer-to-peer and transactions take place between users directly through the use of cryptography, without an intermediary.These transactions are verified by network nodes and recorded in a public distributed ledger called a blockchain. Bitcoin was invented by an unknown person or group of people under the name Satoshi Nakamoto and released as open-source software in 2009.

Bitcoins are created as a reward for a process known as mining. They can be exchanged for other currencies, products, and services. As of February 2015, over 100,000 merchants and vendors accepted bitcoin as payment. Research produced by the University of Cambridge estimates that in 2017, there are 2.9 to 5.8 million unique users using a cryptocurrency wallet, most of them using bitcoin.

Session 1
Why I Would Bet Against Bitcoin
https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeledbeh ... 2bd047fe82

Questions
1. Do you understand how bitcoin works? What are the advantages of a "decentralized" currency?
2. The author of this article says in his conclusion that " I 100% believe there is a fundamental value to cryptocurrencies. It's a very cool and potentially very important technology." What exactly is the "value" of a bitcoin?
3. Most bitcoin believers are young people. Would you want to buy some bitcoin to make yourself feel young again?

Session 2
John McAfee Bullish on Bitcoin Price Reaching $1 Million by 2020
https://www.ccn.com/john-mcafees-1-mill ... hes-right/

Questions
1. Bitcoin believers regard Bitcoin as more of an "asset" (like Gold) than a currency, because the total number of bitcoins is limited to 21 million. Thus, if more and more people believe in bitcoin, will it be a better medium of store of value than gold?
2. What are the possible challenges Bitcoin may face?
3. McAfee bet the price of Bitcoin will soar to US$1 million (Please note he owns a bitcoin mining factory) Let's have our own bet! What is the highest price do you think Bitcoin can go up to? $30,000? $40,000? $50,000? $100,000? $500,000?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 12/23(Sat) Is bitcoin a bubble or a trend? (Host:Michael

文章 Iris Wu »

I think I need to take it easy for this topic. Many basic concepts need to be established before I can make a more objective judgment. One thing for sure is that I think this topic is a good exercise to practice using "mental model" to reason things out, instead of reasoning by analogy. We will chat more this afternoon.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Shoot, I missed the chance to learn bitcoin, mental model and analogy. What a loss! Maybe Iris can share something with us here? 8)
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Here is a good article that provides a new aspect to view Bitcoin and other digital coins.

https://crossing.cw.com.tw/blogTopic.ac ... aign=Daily
回覆文章