4/3(Tue) 100% Perfect Girl (Host:Felicia)

回覆文章
Felicia.Tong
YOYO member
文章: 20
註冊時間: 週四 3月 15, 2018 8:29 am

4/3(Tue) 100% Perfect Girl (Host:Felicia)

文章 Felicia.Tong »

Hi, this is Felicia. I borrowed the title from the most famous contemporary Japanese novelist, Murakami Haruki (村上春樹) for the discussion on 4/3 to stimulate everyone's imagination. In this short story, the male protagonist elaborated the status when he met his so-called 100% Perfect Girl.

The following is the abstract from the original--On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning:

One beautiful April morning, on a narrow side street in Tokyo's fashionable Harujuku neighborhood, I walked past the 100% perfect girl. Tell you the truth,she's not that good-looking. She doesn't stand out in any way. Her clothes are nothing special. The back of her hair is still bent out of shape from sleep. She isn't young, either - must be near thirty, not even close to a "girl,"properly speaking. But still, I know from fifty yards away: She's the 100% perfect girl for me. The moment I see her, there's a rumbling in my chest, and my mouth is as dry as a desert.  

Maybe you have your own particular favorite type of girl - one with slim ankles, say, or big eyes, or graceful fingers, or you're drawn for no good reason to girls who take their time with every meal. I have my own preferences, of course. Sometimes in a restaurant I'll catch myself staring at the girl at the next table to mine because I like the shape of her nose.  

But no one can insist that his 100% perfect girl correspond to some preconceived type. Much as I like noses, I can't recall the shape of hers - or even if she had one. All I can remember for sure is that she was no great beauty. It's weird.  

"Yesterday on the street I passed the 100% girl," I tell someone.  

"Yeah?" he says. "Good-looking?"  

"Not really."  

"Your favorite type, then?"  

"I don't know. I can't seem to remember anything about her - the shape of her eyes or the size of her breasts."  

"Strange."  

"Yeah. Strange."  

"So anyhow," he says, already bored, "what did you do? Talk to her? Follow her?"  

"Nah. Just passed her on the street."  

She's walking east to west, and I west to east. It's a really nice April morning.  

Wish I could talk to her. Half an hour would be plenty: just ask her about herself, tell her about myself, and -what I'd really like to do - explain to her the complexities of fate that have led to our passing each other on a side street in Harajuku on a beautiful April morning in 1981. This was something sure to be crammed full of warm secrets, like an antique clock build when peace filled the world.

After talking, we'd have lunch somewhere, maybe see a Woody Allen movie, stop by a hotel bar for cocktails. With any kind of luck, we might end up in bed.  

Potentiality knocks on the door of my heart.  

Now the distance between us has narrowed to fifteen yards.  

How can I approach her? What should I say?  

"Good morning, miss. Do you think you could spare half an hour for a little conversation?"  

Ridiculous. I'd sound like an insurance salesman.  

"Pardon me, but would you happen to know if there is an all-night cleaners in the neighborhood?"  

No, this is just as ridiculous. I'm not carrying any laundry, for one thing. Who's going to buy a line like that?  

Maybe the simple truth would do. "Good morning. You are the 100% perfect girl for me."  

No, she wouldn't believe it. Or even if she did, she might not want to talk to me. Sorry, she could say, I might be the 100% perfect girl for you, but you're not the 100% boy for me. It could happen. And if I found myself in that situation, I'd probably go to pieces. I'd never recover from the shock. I'm thirty-two, and that's what growing older is all about.  

We pass in front of a flower shop. A small, warm air mass touches my skin. The asphalt is damp, and I catch the scent of roses. I can't bring myself to speak to her. She wears a white sweater, and in her right hand she holds a crisp white envelope lacking only a stamp. So: She's written somebody a letter, maybe spent the whole night writing, to judge from the sleepy look in her eyes. The envelope could contain every secret she's ever had.  

I take a few more strides and turn: She's lost in the crowd. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, across nationalities, reversely, a French song depicts a female stood in the crowd and she saw her beloved at that time. At a glance, she just could recognize him, her 100% Perfect Boy. Please listen to the song to feel the beautiful but melancholy circumstance.

Edith Piaf's La Foule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UlEJXkxnSc

Part 1:
1. What is 100% Perfect Girl/Boy for you? Please depict what dose she/he look like and with what kind of characteristics?
2. Do you think 100% Perfect Girl/Boy can exist in reality or fantasy? Or the person merely reflects your desirable lack of subconsciousness?
3. Have you ever met 100% Perfect Girl/Boy in somewhere in reality? Please retell and represent the story.
4. There is the other poetic explanation for the French song I mention; that is, one can spend his/her whole life looking for the right person, but once you found him/her, you lost him/her at the same time. How do you feel and what's your opinion?

Part 2:
1. Have you ever loved a person with your all burning heart? What is your drastically unforgettable love story?
2. Are you loving someone now? What is she/he like? Why are you fond of this person?
3. Please share your definition of love.
4. If you have a chance to meet your 100% Perfect Girl/Boy, but you are with someone already, what will you do for love?

=================================================================================================================
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:05pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
8:05 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (15 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Felicia.Tong 於 週六 3月 31, 2018 10:55 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

Re: 4/3(Tue) 100% Perfect Girl (Host:Felicia)

文章 Leon »

"100% Perfect Girl" is the first article I read in my Murakami Haruki (村上春樹) journey.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Hi Felicia,

Thanks for bringing us this romantic topic. The topic is full of sentiment but at the same time could be dangerous, if not fatal, to married men or women. I’d better answer the questions with caution, courtesy, and respect, or I might end up in the doghouse… :wink:

First of all, the way Haruki depicted the man’s encounter with his perfect girl seems to be more of a fall-in-love-at-first-sight scenario than finding one’s Mr. or Miss Right.

The experience of being drawn to someone at first sight is not only mind-blowing but mysterious and hard to reason or put into words. Is it because of her posture, body shape, facial expressions, dreamy eyes? Or the way she walked, her laid-back tone of voice? Or a combination of them all? Could sex hormone and genes account for it and the lady happens to have the most different genetic HLA codes from mine? I am afraid I don't have an answer. This is however the ultimate challenge for gentlemen to take because the day will inevitably come when their lovers ask, "Why do you love me?" No matter how clueless we actually are, we've got to work out a convincing and satisfying answer beforehand.

Distance creates beauty; ignorance fuels fantasy. Leaving her alone makes the girl eternal perfect and makes the story an all-time favorite. :ssmile:

To be continued... (Oops I just ran out of my cherished weekend without adding much content. Sigh...)
Felicia.Tong
YOYO member

文章 Felicia.Tong »

Leon 寫:"100% Perfect Girl" is the first article I read in my Murakami Haruki (村上春樹) journey.
So was mine. Besides 100% Perfect Girl, it is the worst book of Murakami Haruki (村上春樹) I must say. 100% Perfect Girl is the only short story worth to read from the book. The rest of the short stories could be skipped. Haha! My favorite is Kafka On The Shore (海邊的卡夫卡) by the way. :D
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Felicia.Tong 寫:
Leon 寫:"100% Perfect Girl" is the first article I read in my Murakami Haruki (村上春樹) journey.
So was mine. Besides 100% Perfect Girl, it is the worst book of Murakami Haruki (村上春樹) I must say. 100% Perfect Girl is the only short story worth to read from the book. The rest of the short stories could be skipped. Haha! My favorite is Kafka On The Shore (海邊的卡夫卡) by the way. :D
Truth be told, I haven't read any of Haruki's books but assume all his works are masterpieces and bestsellers, for I keep hearing people talking about him and his works. Thus I was a bit taken aback to hear your comments...
Felicia.Tong
YOYO member

文章 Felicia.Tong »

Kooper 寫:
Felicia.Tong 寫:
Truth be told, I haven't read any of Haruki's books but assume all his works are masterpieces and best sellers, for I keep hearing people talking about him. Thus I was a bit taken aback to hear your comments...
To Kooper
1. You can say you have read Murakami Haruki's work now and show off to your friends. :D :D :D
2. Don't care about people's comments or statements. You should listen to your heart and your feeling when you appreciate a work. It's very subjective. If someone say Picasso's painting is so ingenious, but you are not pleased by them. And so what? It doesn't matter. Sorry, I am a very picky bookworm and acrimonious connoisseur with strong and narcissistic preferences. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

"Don't care about people's comments or statements. You should listen to your heart and your feeling when you appreciate a work. It's very subjective. If someone say Picasso's painting is so ingenious, but you are not pleased by them. And so what? It doesn't matter."

cool, well said!! 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

Felicia.Tong 寫:
Agree. He has several different writing styles. I do not like the style in this book besides 100% Perfect Girl, either.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

:lol:

Attendees:
Janice, John, Light, Ryan, Iris, David, Katie, Tashi, Rock, Ryu, Felicia, Ellen, Tom, Carrie, Vicky, Luis, Steve, Kat, Georgia, Way, Kooper, Gloria

:D :ssmile:
回覆文章