5/12 (Sat.) if you were a judge.. (host:Vicky)

回覆文章
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

5/12 (Sat.) if you were a judge.. (host:Vicky)

文章 Luis Ko »

hello guys, this is Luis. yeah, right, i will be the host on this Saturday's meeting. however, there will be two hosts for the meeting. besides myself, Vicky the beautiful judge will be in charge of the first session. since the topic is prepared by her, all i did was to take the free ride with my questions, she might have a short introduction of the topic posted later. stay tuned lo~ by the way, though i don't think those questions are easy to answer, actually it doesn't matter what your answers are, just come to the meeting and, "fight" as Rock always says haa~ anyway, hope you guys like it and will have fun as well in discussing them.. :mrgreen:

sesion one:

http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2017/11/01 ... h-penalty/

1. If you were a criminal-court judge who dealt with the MRT murder case, what type of sentencing you would impose on the offender? What factor(s) and how its importance you would consider when the final sentencing result reached, why?
  • Type of sentencing:
    • fixed-term imprisonment(maximum up to 15y/20y)
      life imprisonment
      death penalty
    Main factor For your sentencing :
    • Corrigibility
      Retribution
      Comforting & Showing condolences to victims & their family
      Releasing public rage
      Personality disorder
      The whole life background of the offender (eq. education, family bond, mental phrase, etc. )
      Public safety & interests(prevention & protection)
      a deterrent to crime
*guess there will be a question form handed out in the meeting.

2. If a murderer completely deficient with cognitive or control ability because of serious psychosis in the course of committing an offense, do you think he/she still needs a punishment? For what reasons? What he/she needs would be a sentencing or a psychiatric treatment? Is he/she a sinner or a patient?

3. A bill associated with “civil judge participation in criminal trial” has been proposed to Legislative Yuan. If it is enacted, citizens will be obligated to join the bench under certain requirements and reach judgement with fact-finding and sentencing with 3 professional judges. If one day you are appointed as a civil judge, do you think you are able to do your job well? What qualities for civil judges does this job need which most count when serving the duty? Will the following factors other than the case itself, such as the appearance and attitude of both-parties litigants before the court and the commentaries from media particularly in TV political talking show, to some extent effect your decision?

session two:

some other "not so easy to answer" questions below,

1. i got a hypothetical question courtesy of Rock. here is the scenario, if there was a person who had murdered others and been fugitive from justice for quite some time, then got caught later but lost all his memory already because of an accident, disease or what, which means he didn't know who he was and had absolutely no idea what had happened before. once he was put on trial, what would be your verdict on this such case if you were on a jury? was he still fully responsible for what he had done? or the punishment would be a bit lenient, because he seemed to be another person who had not committed the crime, at least he thought he definitely didn't and was innocent?
*please note that since it's a hypothetical question, the murderer does lose all his memory.

2. have you heard of "halo effect"? please explain it to your table members. my question is, is it possible this kind of cognitive bias would impact on judging a person when one sits on a jury? what do you think?

3. it's said “A just person is blind to the differences between people, and treats everyone equally.” do you agree? Why? how about “A just law is blind to the differences between people, and treats everyone equally.” do you agree? what are your opinions?

4. there's a book sort of saying that moral emotions, such as the idea of justice, exist only in the human imagination. do you agree? if that's the case, how can you be sure what justice, or say real justice, is? even that's not the case, how can we have a consensus about justice? and how can justice be served anyway, in your opinions?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週六 5月 12, 2018 12:49 am 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 5/12 (Sat.) "not so easy to answer" questions (host:Vick

文章 Rock »

Wow! Finally, the abolition of capital punishment and Justice is here, with double hosts, too. Great! Cannot miss this one definitely.

And yeah, let's fight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Will Dan be there?)
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Re: 5/12 (Sat.) if you were a judge.. (host:Vicky)

文章 Kat C »

For a well-summarized pros-vs-cons read on the capital punishment (in the U.S.), here's a good site:

https://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.re ... eID=002000
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

I believe being a civil judge will be very challenging, considering our lack of experiences and legal backgrounds. It also requires ordinary people like us to judge based on facts, not emotions. This is obviously not our middle name – just observe how people argue with each other over politics and you will know what I meant. The most difficult part is that a judge is expected to be cognitive unbiased and fair, which happens to be counter-intuitive. Our brains avoid burnout by taking many shortcuts in everyday life. The shortcuts save mental energy but at the same time form cognitive bias. I would say they are two sides of the same coin. :?
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(20): Alicia, Antonio, Brian, Christine, David, Ellen, Felicia, Gloria, Jay, John, Kat, Kooper, Luis(host#2), Lulu, Rosie, Rock, Ryan(newcomer), Steve, Tom, Vicky(host#1)
回覆文章