5/22(Tue.)Kiasuism(host:John)

回覆文章
JohnH
YOYO member
文章: 27
註冊時間: 週日 5月 13, 2018 11:10 pm

5/22(Tue.)Kiasuism(host:John)

文章 JohnH »

Hello! This is John. I am about to be the host for our meetup on the Tuesday.

sesion one:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018031 ... -the-world

1. When it comes to Kaisu, what’s the craziest thing you’ve heard of? (For example, an extreme measure someone has taken in order not to lose in a competition.)
Are you one who follows kiasuism? Why? On the whole, do you think following kiasuism is beneficial for you and the society? Why?

2. In the article, someone says that kiasuism stifles creativity in business, and kiasu entrepreneurs are driven by anxiety to make short wins as opposed to winning at the long game. Do you think that kiasuism really kills the creativity in the business world? Why? How about in other fields? If you were someone in authority, which spirit would you like to instill into our next generation?

3. Between free-range parenting and helicopter parenting, which one do you think is better for children typically? why?
Which one do you think can make our offspring more competitive in this society?
Why is it so hard for the mother in the article, who was determined not to put pressure on her future children before giving birth to them, to not still end up pushing them to be successful academically?

sesion two:

Session two will be the extension of a couple of ideas proposed in the article designated for session one. Based on which, we are gonna go a little bit deeper.
The article provided for this session is a bit of longer in length. You can just skim it and focus on the points you feel interested in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotyp ... ted_States

1. What are some of the typical characteristics of Taiwanese from your point of view? And the stereotypes of Taiwanese which most of the foreigners have in their minds? Do you have those characteristics? Why? Please make a list of at least 5 perceptions of Taiwanese society.

2. What do Taiwanese take for granted and get used to but you think we should get rid of? Why?

3. What are some of the resources we have in Taiwan or something which only Taiwan has? (It could be something very few people notice.) What fields we should pay more attention to in developing which you think our economy can rely on in the future?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: 5/22(Tue.)Kiasuism(host:John)

文章 Janice Wang »

Johnnnn, “kiasuism” is exactly the topic I plan to explore for my upcoming hosting! What a coincidence!

Kiasu, fear of losing out on a bargain, kid’s education, and potential opportunity..etc, can hardly be considered a monopoly that solely belongs to the Singaporeans as it seems to take place in every corner of our lives around the world. For example, an overnight queuing for the new launch of technology devices (eg. iPhone)or trendy stuff (eg. sneakers), crazily enticing pitch of all-you-can-eat meal/phone plan, and dirty tricks in sports games (eg. Australian cricket team’s recent sandpaper scandal), those are all somewhat related to the “kiasu” mentality!

To extend the interpretation of kiasuism from fear of losing out to a way of living or a desire of wanting to be the first/ best in everything, which shouldn’t be viewed as a bad thing at all. As that “kiasu” attitude can be a driving force to lead us forward if we steer it towards the right direction. It also might be the crucial factor in making Singapore stand out, and awarding such a scarce-resource country a significant status in the world.

For the record, John, I’m gratefully relieved that you are one step ahead of me and took over this interesting topic even though you successfully elicited my “kiasu-ness” with your well-organized and profound questions. You definitely nailed your yoyo debut, and will surely be expected to host more upcoming meetings! Please forgive my absence at your hosting debut as I have made prior commitments already. All the best of luck!
最後由 Janice Wang 於 週三 5月 20, 2020 1:24 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
JohnH
YOYO member

文章 JohnH »

Thanks, I am really flattered! I am so sorry that I beat you to it but as a matter of fact it was Gloria who picked up this article in the first place. I just cover the work for her since she is quite busy recently. I totally go with what you said about Kiasuism. If anyone wants to be extraordinary in any field, he or she must put considerable effort into it without a doubt and keep this mindset consistent all along. However, at my point of view the kiasuism mentioned here kind of means the mentality of entering the endless competitions in everything, including what seems insignificant. Just as the article mentioned, singaporeans even make the action of taking elevator a severe competition. It's okay, I am looking forward to your hosting next time as well.
Way
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週六 9月 23, 2017 10:39 pm

文章 Way »

Most elites always have something in common, good job!
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

文章 Janice Wang »

John, how nice of you to reach out to those in need! We are so lucky to have you!!

To make myself sound less “kiasu-ish”, please allow me to cloak my incomprehensive coverage of “kiasuism” with a practical question that might be quite consequential down the road - is your kindness of standing in as a backup host open for other yoyoans as well?
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

:drink:
Now I know how lucky I am. Actually, the original host was Rita, but she was kind of busy recently so I planned to cover her job. What I didn’t expect was that the shinning Mother’s Month exhausted me, and John, the promising young guy was standing in front of me within my reach in one yoyo meeting…..so everything just happened…….it’s all out of God’s mercy arrangement. Special thanks for John to take the hot potato and give his glorious debut generously.

This article is so related to our life, let alone it’s fun and worth further discussion in many aspects. Ms. Janice is famous for her wit and wisdom talks and thoughts. I feel so excited to share the same taste with her.
:ssmile:
最後由 Gloria Lo 於 週一 5月 21, 2018 8:55 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Janice Wang 寫:To make myself sound less “kiasu-ish”, please allow me to cloak my incomprehensive coverage of “kiasuism” with a practical question that might be quite consequential down the road - is your kindness of standing in as a backup host open for other yoyoans as well?
It's getting hilarious... I just noticed that Janice threw another hot potato :lol: :lol: :twisted:
JohnH
YOYO member

文章 JohnH »

Janice Wang 寫:John, how nice of you to reach out to those in need! We are so lucky to have you!!

To make myself sound less “kiasu-ish”, please allow me to cloak my incomprehensive coverage of “kiasuism” with a practical question that might be quite consequential down the road - is your kindness of standing in as a backup host open for other yoyoans as well?
For sure, that will be my pleasure to stand in for any other "yoyoans"!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

my English really goes backwards after only attending the meeting once in a week. guess the point about the example i mentioned in the meeting last night was not clear so, i will try to explain it more here.

what i was trying to say is you can't just follow what those so-called experts say to raise your children. about the question in contention Vicky said she kind of forced her kids to learn about music when they were at kindergarten stage. though they were coerced to do so, they appreciate it later. whereas Sherry said the age to start learning new skills for kids was critical. it was definitely not the younger the better. she mentioned that 3 to 7 was the golden age kind of stage for kids to play, not to learn skills or sorts, if i didn't got it wrong.

as to the example i mentioned, Ichiro Suzuki, he was forced to practice baseball, starting from when he was only 3, by his father. he is now one of the best baseball players in the history, and will certainly be the first ever Japanese player inducted into MLB Baseball Hall of Fame, the most coveted honor for a baseball player i would say. guess he wouldn't have been what he is today if his father hadn't forced him to practice baseball that early in his life.

i bet both Sherry and Vicky's kids are all very good too, despite the fact that they share different opinions in raising their children. therefore, what those so-called experts' opinions don't really matter in my opinion, though it still can be references. what i'm trying to say is no matter what, one thing for sure is kids know nothing when they are young. they need to be led by their parents. more often than not, they will be shaped to be what their parents want them to be in their early life. furthermore, whether they will be happy, successful or able to lead extraordinary lives might really come down to their parents' approaches to nurturing them. it's definitely not one way or the other stuff. thus, the most important thing is to understand your kids more, so that you might know what would be a better way, if not the best, to teach them. just remember, there's no one-method-fits-all way in dealing with things, let along in raising kids. there's no such thing as one-way-fits-all method.

right, this is probably what i want to say about it. of course it's always easier said than done and, i might be wrong so, will just leave you guys with the question to think more, if you'd like lo~ :mrgreen:

by the way, guess the best way to keep your English from getting rusty, if not really improve it, is to attend as many yoyo meetings as possible haa~ 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

:lol:

With the hight and fluent English, John handled hosting easily. During session one conclusion, Momo's question triggerd lots of responses and further discussion.What a night.....

Attendees:
Chris, Luis, Wen-han, Sabrina, Steve, Kat, Brian, Amy, Jay, Ryan, Way, John, Alicia, Vicky, Anne, Miller, Sherry, Ellen, Tashi, David, Felicia, Momo, Gloria(23)

Pictures of the night: https://www.facebook.com/groups/375409345815954/

8) :lol: :wink:
回覆文章