YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

7/3(Tue) Old World vs. New World Wine (Host:Toshi) 7/1預約報名截止

文章 toshi »

Dear YOYOs,

Long time no see!
I am going to be the host in 07/03 (Tue.)
The discussion is a little bit special.
Before the meeting, I will prepare some old world and new world wines.
During the meeting, I will try to lead you to taste, compare and discuss the difference between old world and new world wine.

I currently set a limit of 20 people. The cost of wines will be shared by participants (I will try to control it around NT$200).
By the way, you still have to order no less than NT$80 for drinks or meal in Dante Coffee(丹提咖啡).

If you are interested in participating in this discussion, please leave a message +1,
or contact with me by facebook or email:
Toshi Lin's Facebook
Toshi Lin's Email

Reservation is required!!

Source 1:(Please watch the video clip with English subtitle)
Old World Versus New World Wines

Source 2:
Old World Wine vs. New World Wine: Profiles

When it comes to wine, there are so many different classifications and descriptors, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Two of the classifications that you’ve likely heard but might not necessarily know are the terms “Old World Wine” and “New World Wine”. The answer is simple enough–the term “Old World” refers to the original winemaking regions of Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa. All of the other winemaking locations–such as the Americas, New Zealand and Australia, and certain Asian countries–are considered to be the “New World”.

However, the differences between the two categories does not stop there. There is a reason why these two terms are used to define wine. You can predict specific things about a bottle of wine based solely upon its area of origin. The differences between Old World wines and New World wines are significant. Below, we profile the qualities and characteristics of each style of wine in order to understand the how they differ from one another.

Old World Wine
As the name would suggest, the Old World is where wine originated and developed for centuries before expanding to the rest of the world. Today, the wines from these regions have a iconic quality and style associated with them that cannot be matched in the New World processing. A polished palette would be able to decipher an Old World wine from a New World wine with no issues: the differences are unmistakable.

The philosophy of the Old World winemaking style is vastly different from that of the New World. The Old World style is very much associated with tradition and terroir, so their wine production methods have hardly changed from generation to generation. You wont see many modern technologies in Old World wineries. Many wine drinkers are comforted by the fact that their wines have been made the same for centuries and in the same locations and conditions.

Terroir is an important aspect of Old World winemaking. Terroir has to do with the specific qualities of the land that the grapes were grown on. Mineral levels, elevation, and climate are all important factors in defining a wine’s terroir.

Terroir has more to do with Old World winemaking because of the emphasis put on location with these kinds of wines. Terroir matters less with New World wines because you can have the same kind of wine from two different places. While they might indeed have different tastes because of the differing terroirs, they are not marketed as such.

Locations
Geographically, Old World wines comes from Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. Places like Israel, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, Austria, Poland, France, Spain and Italy all produce what is considered Old World wine. Many vineyards of these regions have been around for generations.

Taste
Old World wines generally share specific characteristics. For example, most Old World wines are soft, elegant, and tannic. These wines are often much more acidic and mineral-based than their New World counterparts. There also tends to be a lower alcohol content in Old World wines. When tasting a wine that feels light and smooth, it is likely that it comes from the Old World.

Wines
Old World wines are typically named after the specific region in which they were grown. For example, authentic Champagne only comes from the grapes grown in the Champagne region of France.

You can quickly tell if a wine is Old World or not by it’s name: if it is named after a location and not a type of grape, it is likely an Old World wine.

Types of Old World Wine
Bordeaux
Burgundy
Champagne
Chianti
Douro
Port
Rhone
Sherry

New World Wine
New World wine can be much more unpredictable than Old World wines due to the experimental nature of the winemaking process. Because there has not been a traditional set of rules regarding the winemaking processes in these regions, the winemakers tend to have more freedom to experiment with their product.

Locations
New World wine is produced basically anywhere in the world that can grow grapes and is not in Europe. For example, the United States, Australia, India, China, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina and Chile all produce New World wine.

Many of these places are warmer, so the grapes are raised in hotter temperatures. This causes grapes to be riper among picking.

Taste
New World wine is obviously much more recent. The roots of many of the wineries are still quite young in comparison to those in the Old World. They benefit mostly from the recent phenomenon of agricultural technologies, such as tractors and large-scale irrigation. New World wines are iconic for their fruity, oakey, and ripe flavors.

Wines
New World wines are usually named after they main grape they are made from. For example, Cabernet Sauvignon wine is made from the grape variety of the same name. You can have a Cabernet Sauvignon from California and another from New Zealand, but because these are New World wine locations, they would both still be referred to as a Cabernet Sauvignon.

A lot of these wines have evolved over the years, with different mixes of grapes and styles of production. This really sets these wines apart from the traditionally strict methods of Old World wine production. You are much more likely to see a range of production methods in New World vineyards: from handpicking to machine picking; feet stomping to a heavy-duty grape crusher and stem separator.

Types of New World Wine
Cabernet Sauvignon
Chardonnay
Malbec
Merlot
Riesling
Syrah
Viognier

Old World vs New World: Comparing the Two
Both New World wine and Old World wine have notable differences, but that does not necessarily make one superior to the other. What is important is for you to understand your own personal taste and try wines from all different countries and regions. You may find out that you’re an acidic-loving Chianti Classico drinker when you always thought you were a Malbec drinker.

Understanding the expected qualities of these Old World and New World wines can point you in the right direction when deciding which style is most similar to your taste.

Source 3:
Comparison Chart Characteristics of Old World Wine vs New World Wine
Source 4:
WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine
WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine-1
WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine-1
WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine-2
WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine-2

飲酒過量,有害健康。未滿十八歲者,禁止飲酒。酒後不開車,開車不喝酒。

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先看過影片或閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 toshi 於 週二 7月 03, 2018 6:40 am 編輯,總共編輯了 11 次。
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

Re: 07/03 (Tue.) Old World Wine vs. New World Wine (Host:Tos

文章 toshi »

醉鵝娘:葡萄酒的兩副面孔

隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
morris25
YOYO member
文章: 65
註冊時間: 週一 5月 07, 2012 8:35 am

Re: 7/3 (Tue.) Old World vs. New World Wine (Host:Toshi) 需事先

文章 morris25 »

+1
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

Re: 7/3 (Tue.) Old World vs. New World Wine (Host:Toshi) 需事先

文章 toshi »

morris25 寫:+1
Welcome!! Cheers!!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

Re: 7/3 (Tue) Old World vs. New World Wines (Host:Toshi) 需事先

文章 toshi »

Video clip & articles updated!
Questions for discussion will be updated layer!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Please sign me up. Thanks!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Sherry Liao 寫:Please sign me up. Thanks!
Welcome!! Cheers!!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

Re: 7/3(Tue) Old World vs. New World Wine (Host:Toshi) 7/1預約

文章 toshi »

7/1 預約報名截止
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

I'd like to sign up for one. Thanks, Toshi!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Iris +1

Will we be all like this after the meeting? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIDJ-sT ... e=youtu.be
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Kat C 寫:I'd like to sign up for one. Thanks, Toshi!
Welcome!! Cheers!!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Iris Wu 寫:Iris +1

Will we be all like this after the meeting? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIDJ-sT ... e=youtu.be
ok ok ^^
It's you, not me!! ^^
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Shirley Hsu
YOYO member
文章: 35
註冊時間: 週日 8月 03, 2014 8:43 pm

文章 Shirley Hsu »

Please sign me up. It’s always nice to know more about the wine and related knowledge, Thanks.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Shirley Hsu 寫:Please sign me up. It’s always nice to know more about the wine and related knowledge, Thanks.
ok ok!! Cheers!! ^^
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Toshi,
I 'd like to sign up for Brian. Thank u. 8)
回覆文章