6/30 (Sat) Emotion and Decision Making (Host: Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

6/30 (Sat) Emotion and Decision Making (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Dear All,

The topic is from the PDF link below:
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/1 ... 213-115043
And the link is from this website:
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/1 ... 213-115043

And in the document of the PDF I extracted the key points from its outline:

Theme 1: Integral emotions influence decision making
Theme 2: Incidental emotions influence decision making
Theme 3: Valence is not the only way that emotions influence decision making
Theme 4: Emotions shape decisions via the content of thought
Theme 5: Emotions shape the depth of thought
Theme 6: Emotions shape decisions via goal activation
Theme 7: Emotions influence interpersonal decision making
Theme 8: Unwanted effects of emotion on decision making can sometimes be reduced

There was one time when I was watching the TV series Master Chef and a skillful/talented home cook fell into a difficult situation.
He was pissed off and spoke with a panicking tone, "I can't cook in this mood." Despite the fact that it's not the finale yet, he realized if he couldn't control himself, he would not only lose the chance of pursuing 0.5M dollars reward but also be eliminated before the finale.
At that moment I felt especially shocked that being emotionally polarized is a success killer.

But it's not that easy to avoid polarization as "practice makes perfect," and he could cook still very well with anger and anxiety. Due to recent life stories of my friends and myself, you just don't know what and how to practice.

Actually, I didn't read through the PDF content yet. I fell deep thinking what subject I would like to host this time, so I tried a few keywords like "silence," "emotion," "reality" and "death penalty" in TED talk but found it hard to get a similar feeling I felt inside me. Then I started to Google "emotion study" and finally got this.

For those who may be interested in the whole content of this report in the PDF, you are welcome to read as much as you want. For those who have limited time but your curiosity is aroused by the 8 themes, you could try to think about them. I will think about them too and read as much as I could before Sat and bring up questions for group session material.

Session I
1. Is "feeling" the same as "emotion"? If not, try to define their difference and linkage. Actually, there is a study revealing the truth that humans have 27 kinds of emotions. We say "I feel ...." when we sense them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 5afac61335

2. Have you seen anyone close to you ruin their career, marriage, friendship or life because of some kind of emotion?

3. Do you have any kind of emotion in you that is easy to get radical and has affected you deeply since you were a little child (like 5 years old)? Is the situation changed or transformed now, or you still suffer from it in the same way?

4. Have you seen anyone close to you fail to pursue what they wanted, and the reason was that they implement their goal in an inefficient way or even totally the opposite way because they couldn’t get their emotions under control?

5. Did you have any moments where you felt there was no emotion? That means what you’ve sensed at the moments were purely objective. Try to share and let your table members help diagnose to see if they agree with you or still sense some emotions from your story.

Session II
1. Is it possible to have multiple emotions at the same time?

a. I bet the answer would be yes so let me ask further, how many have you had at the same time at most?
b. When it happened, did you feel it like a symphony or a chaos?

2. What are the factors/skills you value most in decision making?

a. How do you sharpen these decision-making skills
b. How did you deal with your emotions while using these skills?
c. Have you successfully delivered these skills to your partners, friends, lovers or children?

3. In addition to reviewing what you’ve done/achieved regularly or irregularly, have you also focused on what mood you had for a past period of time?
Leslie Cheung(張國榮) committed suicide, Chester (the singer of Linkin Park) committed suicide, and the chef Anthony Bourdain also committed suicide, despite having a great achievement in their careers and making a fortune/fame, they still lost hope to live and we can’t exactly know the reasons in detail, have you also felt life is not worth continuing in the past(hope it's not now)?

4. There was a saying “Character is destiny”(性格決定命運). If you also agree the management of your emotion affects your destiny greatly, do you think it’s your character that affects your management of emotion or it’s the emotion that shapes part of your character?

5. Generally speaking, anger, sadness, fear, and jealousy are negative terms. In the report, it also mentioned these kinds of emotion could be a sign helpful to remind people to watch out bad things. Do you agree that like our physical system with a varied array of components to work together, we have an emotion system with a varied array of emotions to work together too?

Let me see if I could work out more to stimulate your imagination of emotion discussion~~~

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: 6/30 (Sat) Emotion and Decision Making (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

The behavior of the PDF link seems changed. You could retrieve it from my the link below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3pUeU9HY0E
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

:D

Reference reading materials

Decisions are emotional, not logical: the neuroscience behind decision making
https://bigthink.com/experts-corner/dec ... ion-making

Emotional decision making can improve decisions when managed as part of the process
https://www.decision-making-solutions.c ... aking.html

The Best Headspace for Making Decisions
Anger is not the best way to approach a big choice—but neither is happiness.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ns/500423/

:shock:
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(19): Carrie, David Jr., Gloria, Holly, Iris, Joanne, John, Joseph Yu, Kat, Kooper, Light, Luis, Momo, Sabrina, Sherry, Shirley, Steve, Tashi (Host), Vicky
回覆文章