8/11(Sat) Hufflepuff / Victim Blaming (Host:Joseph Yu)

回覆文章
JosephYu
YOYO member
文章: 9
註冊時間: 週六 2月 17, 2018 10:00 pm

8/11(Sat) Hufflepuff / Victim Blaming (Host:Joseph Yu)

文章 JosephYu »

8/11(Sat.) Hufflepuff in Harry Potter/ Victim Blaming (Host: Joseph Yu)

(If anyone is willing to revise my script, point it out, or provide discussion questions, which would be deeply appreciated.)

Hi all,
I am going to propose two different topics this time. The first topic is about the Hufflepuff house in Harry Potter. Most of you might choose Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, or even Slytherin as your house in Hogwarts, but few would choose Hufflepuff. Why? It’s obvious, isn’t it? Hufflepuffs have nothing special, nothing cool, moreover, they seem to be considered dumb to some people However, the reference article is going to convince you that Hufflepuff is the best house in Harry Potter.

The second topic will continue the discussion of “Victim Blaming.” As last time when Michael hosted, the topic provoked great discussion, and most opinions could be simplified to two mean perspectives: 1. Victims should never be blamed because the responsibility is on perpetrators. 2. Victims should be blamed due to their negligence and carelessness. Recently, there is a social event that elicit some very interesting comments on the internet, which perfectly demonstrated the absurdity of victim blaming.

---
Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o

https://qz.com/1014461/harry-potter-20t ... est-house/

1. What’s your first impression of each House in Hogwarts?
2. Which House would be your first choice when you read or watch Harry Potter the first time?
3. Hufflepuffs value hard work, patience, loyalty, and fair play. Famous alumni include Cedric Diggory and Newt Scamander (Main character in “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”) What’s your impression of them?
4. We all wish our life companion to be kind, loyal, patient and reliable, but would you choose to work on kindness instead of success, intelligence, or bravery?
5. J.K. Rowling once said in an interview: “Hufflepuffs stay and fight not because they want glory or attention, but because they want to do what’s right. They didn’t want to show off, they weren’t being reckless. That’s the essence of the Hufflepuff house.” Does the explanation make you want to join Hufflepuff?
6. The author raised a question in the end of the article: “Why isn’t it exciting to be told that you’re a kind person?” And if it isn’t, then the joke’s not really on Hufflepuffs at all. Do you think in our culture kindness has always been undervalued and intelligence, courage, ambition overlooked?

---
Part 2
“A woman made pregnant by a rapist shot him ten times and cut his head off after authorities refused to let her have an abortion. The victim hurled the severed head into her village square, shouting that her attacker had “toyed with her honor”. The man had taken nude photos of her and blackmailed her before raping her repeatedly. The 26-year-old has been hailed a heroine for her actions by women’s groups in turkey.”

Comments on the Internet:
• Well he really should have worn more protective clothing if he didn’t want that to happen.
• Sounds to me like he was asking for it.
• Are we really sure he was actually shot and decapitated? IDK, sounds like something he would’ve made up. Guys make false decapitation accusations all the time, you know.
• If he didn’t want to be decapitated, he shouldn’t have worn a shirt that showed off his neck.
• I mean, not all woman decapitate people. I’m not like that.
• Was he alone? He shouldn’t have been a lone. I mean what was he expecting?
• It obviously wasn’t a legitimate decapitation, if it was the body has ways of shutting it down.
• He probably enjoyed being shot. Most men don’t like to admit they actually enjoy being shot and having their head cut off.
• He shouldn’t have run into her bullets ten times.
• I heard he’d been at a bar before it happened, so he probably just got drunk and tripped over the blade that decapitated him. Men really need to be more careful when they drink or these things are bound to happen. :/
• Did he say no? We all know no really means yes, especially when something as ambiguous as decapitation is involved.

https://twitter.com/jezebelthegreat/sta ... 1681716224

1. Which comment on the Internet attracted your attention the most?
2. Do you think this kind of sarcasm is acceptable? Would you like to join them and ponder on some comment?
3. What’s your original stance about victim blaming? After reading those comments of exaggeration and sarcasm, did you change your mind?
4. Do you think female victims of sexual harassment and male victims of violation could be treated as the same circumstances?
5. Imagine you were the woman who got raped and was forbidden to have abortion by authority, even the legal system rejected to serve justice for you, would you revenge by yourself?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 8/11(Sat) Hufflepuff / Victim Blaming (Host:Joseph Yu)

文章 Kooper »

Wow, two topics, each with five to six questions. They can be divided into two meetings. How shall we proceed? :mrgreen:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

I guess the reason why people don't like to be called Hufflepuffs is because of its similarity to getting a nice-man card in pursuit of a relationship. The label of "nice guy" has become a euphemism for lack of attraction or charm. I doubt if anybody would feel pleased or flattered when being called a "nice guy" by the one whom they happen to have a crush on. :?

According to the Sorting Hat, Hufflepuffs are “just and loyal, true and unafraid of toil.” These are fascinating personalities to say the least. So where did the anti-Hufflepuffism come from? I would say J.K. Rowling probably has a lot to answer for. Obviously she failed to create a Hufflepuff in the novels that is lovely, admirable or at least impressive.

I myself read the first four of the series, but I was only left with a vague impression that Hufflepuffs are a bit dumb. There's no smoke without fire, are there? :wink:
JosephYu
YOYO member
文章: 9
註冊時間: 週六 2月 17, 2018 10:00 pm

文章 JosephYu »

Thanks, Kooper. I was worrying about being too narrow to discuss so I tried to broaden the scope of questions.
It is not necessary to go through every question. One can pick whatever he likes to share.

The nice guy metaphor is really good! People want to be significant much more than mediocre. For instance, I myself like giving provocative comments than repeating cliches. Some might rather to be notorious in order to be seen. I think that's why some people who believe their were being abandoned by the society would choose to be radical and become random killers.

I agree with you that J.K. Rowling failed to make Hufflepuffs impressive. Being more stoic or left-leaning might be better? Because most Hufflepuffs seen too mediocre to me.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(14): Amy Chen, Bernie, Christine Hsiu, Felicidad, Iris, John Huang, Joseph Yu (host), Kooper, Leon, Momo, Ramesh, Rock, Tim, Tom Lee
回覆文章