9/15(Sat.) The Paradox of Choice (Host Sunny)

回覆文章
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

9/15(Sat.) The Paradox of Choice (Host Sunny)

文章 sunny »

Hello Everyone,

This is Sunny. This time we are going to discuss "Overchoice" and "Expectation." Are you a victim of "the Overchoice Effect?" Or, you are the victim of "No Choice at All" ? We can discuss it from both psychological and economical aspects. See you soon!

Reference Article/Video:

Barry Schwartz: The Paradox of Choice
Nat Ware:Why we're unhappy -- the expectation gap

Session One- "Less is More?"
1. When facing multiple choices, are you tend to be a decisive / indecisive person?

2. Life is full of big moments and big decisions. What's the most difficult decision you've made so far? (Here are some examples)
-Choose a College Major
-Decide on a Career
-Who to Go on a Date With.
-Get Married or Not
-Have Children or Not
-Know When It Is Time To Quit

3. In this video, "Less choices and freedom would make us happier." Do you agree? Share your thought about "too many options, few options, and no options " regarding to marriage, career, and life.

Session Two- "We are the products of our own/other's expectations? "

1. Have you lived up to others' expectation? How to copy with these high expectations? Do you think high expecations can encourgae achievement?

2. "The secret to happiness is low expectations!" What do you think? Do you think you expect too much/less from your (future) spouse?

3. What do you expect of yourself? Why?

4. John Milton wrote, "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." What's your opinion? Are you tend to be an optimist, realist, or a pessimist? Why?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
*******************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 sunny 於 週六 9月 15, 2018 3:15 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 9/15(Sat.) The Paradox of Choice (Host Sunny)

文章 Kooper »

After watching Barry Schwartz’ TED speech I can’t help but think we humans are damn good at setting psychological traps to put us in a bind. Barry pointed out that with more choices to select from we do live a better life objectively, BUT we feel worse "subjectively" because of the four mental backlash – higher likelihood of regret, more expensive opportunity costs, skyrocketing expectation, and inevitable self-blame. Our brain seems to be self-destructive and can't enjoy any lasting joyfulness.

Perfectionists are arguably most vulnerable in the era of abundant options because of the delicate psychological tricks – to them, it’s the best of times, it’s the worst of times! :? I am glad that I'm no longer a qualified perfectionist.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

more often than not, the main problem of multiple choices is that people have no, or few, knowledge about the choices they have, otherwise they are the problem themselves i would say.. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Luis Ko 寫:more often than not, the main problem of multiple choices is that people have no, or few, knowledge about the choices they have, otherwise they are the problem themselves i would say.. :lol:
This is probably one of the reasons why excessive choices might paralyze people. Every individual option takes us time, efforts, and, most important of all - knowledge to evaluate pros and cons of. When the process has become too overwhelming for decision makers to go through, the easiest choice is to stand pat. :?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Yeah, "the secret of happiness is-- low expectation." :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:Yeah, "the secret of happiness is-- low expectation." :lol:
On one hand, both of the TED speakers, Barry Schwartz and Nat Ware, stressed that our unhappiness stems from expectation gaps, which exist when our expectations are greater than reality.

On the other hand, the psychologist Jennice Vilhauer claimed at below TED talk that the reason we don’t get what we want - according to her many years’ therapeutic experiences - is because we don’t think we can get it. In other words, we have pessimistic or low expectation about it and that prevents us from taking action.

How do we explain the two seemingly contradictory ideas?

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Life does not get easier, which is not a new paradigm. I do agree that too many choices to choose from makes most of us inefficient to some extent, but between too many options and no choice, I guess we are probably all leaning towards more choices. Why so? We would rather sacrifice a bit efficiency than handing over the control to a monopoly market or a single political agenda.

It’s probably true that we are in the era of information overload, choice overload or any cognitive overload, but again I do think we like to “blame” things to ease our own guilt. Those things are usually just neutral tools to service us, but because of our own incapable decision-making, poor time management skills, and our innate tendency of regret make a neutral tool a scapegoat to offload our guilt. Consequently, before we complain that the world gives us too many choices, maybe we should do some self-examination to see if we got self-discipline problems? :P

Notes:
So nice to see Sunny here again!
Sunny is always like a superwoman to me. I am looking forward to knowing how she solves the challenge of excessive choices. :)
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(24): Andy Liu, Anne, Apple, Antonio, Blithe, Christine Hsiu, David Jr., Debby, Felicidad, Gloria, Holly, Iris Wu, Joanne, Kooper, Leon, Light, Momo, Ramesh, Rock, Stephen Chiu, Sunny Huang (host), Tashi, Tim, Way
回覆文章