9/22 (Sat.) new politically correct life? (Host: Luis)

回覆文章
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

9/22 (Sat.) new politically correct life? (Host: Luis)

文章 Luis Ko »

session one:
US Open 2018: Naomi Osaka wins after Serena Williams outburst
please read the article through the link below.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45462014

session one questions:

1. Which side do you take? There's only one fact about what happened on the tennis court. Have you ever wondered why people hold different opinions on the same fact?
2. What are your opinions about Serena's tantrum in the finals?
3. What do you think about the sexism accusation of the umpire?
4. Is Serena a victim of sexism or sore Loser? Does sexism excuse her behaviour, and why?

sesion two:
Serena Williams: Herald Sun front page defends cartoon
please read the article through the link below.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45487873

圖檔

session two questions:

1. What do you think about the racism and sexism accusations of the cartoonist?
2. Would it be a lot different if the person in contention was not Serena Williams, and why? if it was Naomi Osaka, what would be the event?
3. What are your thoughts on the newspaper’s defence, “If the self-appointed censors of Mark Knight get their way on this Serena Williams cartoon, our new politically correct life will be very dull indeed.”? What do you think is "new politically correct life" that the news is trying to say?
4. Again, which side do you take? Have you changed your mind after the discussion?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
*******************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: 9/22 (Sat.) new politically correct life? (Host: Luis)

文章 Janice Wang »

Tennis games are so fascinating to many sports fans, me included, but not a fan of women’s tennis games; unless they are the games of 謝淑薇 & 詹氏姊妹. Hope my patriotism somewhat compensates for the sexism accusing-trigger in favor of men’s tennis games.

I haven’t paid much attention to this particular incident as I’m still piecing together my broken heart over my absolute favorite’s injured-retire from the men’s semi-final. Moreover, it’s not unheard-of news; in fact, a very familiar tennis déjà vu when Serena Williams was trailing a late-round match in the Grand Slam; particularly, in the US Open! I can’t help but wonder how detrimental “Kiasuism” is to bring out the demons or serve as the catalyst for a breakdown in a match ?! Serena Williams, is undoubtedly the GOAT(Greatest Of All Time) and a role model with multifaceted achievements for so many fans to look up to. However, her temper tantrum history is just as well-known as her on-court heroics. Years later, after she hung up her tennis sneakers, people may inevitably dredge up all those tennis blow-ups while acclaiming her accomplishments or serving inopportune flashbacks for future similar incidents.

From some reasonable speculations, in sports world, I believe no referee or umpire is out to go toe-to-toe against any particular players whom one is assigned to serve in a game unless there are some blatant or severe violations. Noticeably, the paramount games are always equipped with the top-notch world-class one for an impartial process to minimize controversy, so that I chose to trust that this Portuguese umpire wouldn’t put his reputation and professional career on the line to exert sexism against Serena or any particular player in any game.

I’m all for everyone expressing themselves, but we have also got to know when to draw a line. If Serena Williams had drawn the line after the 1st violation, she might have gotten a different center of attention or outcome in that very game. After all, for a sports player, performance speaks the most volume in a game. Serena should’ve let her performance speaks volumes more than anything else.
最後由 Janice Wang 於 週三 5月 20, 2020 1:29 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

i agree with you, Janice, if not totally. it would be no mean feat if Serena won this finals. she would walk away with a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title. guess that's why the first call got on her nerve easily and severely. and especially it's US open, as you mentioned, where she could pull the strings of most of fans' emotions there, so that she had the nerve to do what she had done? she won't be the GOAT, at least until she achieves the feat in my opinion. anyway, well said lo~ :mrgreen:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

I would say that the umpire was fair in all three warn and penalties; the coach did gave illegal hand signals, be it an instruction to Serena Williams or just a cheer-up gesture; Williams did abuse her racket during the game and she did verbally attack the umpire, accusing him as thief and liar. There's no doubt all three cases violated tennis rules. Rules aside, I don’t think any umpires should tolerate such a malicious verbal personal attack. After all, respect for others is the bottom line.

It is definitely up to the umpire’s discretion whether and when to blow whistle. In the third case, he could give Williams a verbal warning first before imposing more severe penalties. It’s also totally justifiable when the umpire took a zero tolerance policy.

Williams’ accusation of sexism is somewhat groundless and ,sadly, only makes her like a sore loser. :?
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

good reasoning, Kooper!

being a self-proclaimed skeptic and cynic, i'm so glad you guys take the same side with me about the event haa~ as to the question why people hold different opinions on the same fact, Janice answered something about favoritism, if i didn't get it wrong. here i would like to add another reason, un-favoritism. if you have favoritism to someone in your mind, more often than not, you will turn a blind eye on their wrongdoing. on the other hand, if you have un-favoritism toward someone, it's highly possible that you will always scrutinize their behavior and amplify what they have done wrong. we all have probably falled for it. ok, that's human nature, isn't it? for living under politically correct life, if not new, as Gloria said, it would be more peaceful, and with which i totally agree!! :oops:

attendees,
Apple, Christine, David, Debby, Felicidad, Gloria, Janice, Ken, Kooper, Leon, Robert, Rock, way, Luis(host)

thank you all for coming when it's a beautiful consecutive holidays for Mid-Autumn festival. happy holidays lo~ :mrgreen:
回覆文章