10/27 (Sat.)Risking your life to save your pet? (Host: Rock)

回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

10/27 (Sat.)Risking your life to save your pet? (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Sorry for posting the article so late. I have to use an used one to save my a** for being too busy these days. But this one is my favorite.
Please take a look to see if you like it, too.

Would You Risk Your Life to Save Your Pet?
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-10/ ... mal-lovers

The night of the Laguna Beach fire, television cameras captured a man waving neighbors away from their burning homes, telling them: "A cat's just not worth it."

Days later in the Calabasas/Malibu fire, filmmaker Duncan Gibbins dashed back into his flaming house to try to save his Siamese cat, Elsa.

While the cat survived on her own, the severely burned Gibbins died. His act made him an international hero to animal lovers but provoked amazement from those who could not understand why a person would risk his life for a pet.

"A lot of people would think, 'What an idiot.' But other people would fully understand why he would do it," said Kathleen Brand, a clinical psychologist in Pasadena. "A lot of people really do think of their pets as their best friends."

Gibbins--whom a friend described as sensitive, fearless and deeply attached to his pet--probably made a snap decision to rescue the cat and miscalculated the risks, say experts in human behavior.

But animal lovers worldwide have praised his courage, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has named an annual Duncan Gibbins Heroism Award for "extraordinary courage to save the life of an animal in distress."

And many other animal lovers said without hesitation that they would have responded as Gibbins did. "I probably would have done exactly the same thing. You wouldn't let your child burn," said Gillian Julius, a clothing manufacturer from West Hollywood.

In fact, the night of the fire, Carbon Canyon artist Dian Roberts, 66, walked six miles along the beach past police barricades to rescue her two Rottweilers. She turned around only when she could no longer breathe, she said. "Other people were doing the same. I saw a man swimming. A lot of people came by boat. . . . Most people were talking about their pets."

Roberts said her dogs were rescued by a friend. But animal-control officials said many other people are now grieving for their missing pets as they would for relatives.

Bob Ballenger, executive assistant with the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control, said one woman burst into tears when she found her dog at the shelter. "She was sobbing. The dog was about the only thing left of her former life."

Ballenger said that for some animal lovers, a pet is "the next best thing to having a child. If your cat or dog runs away or dies, you go through a grieving process much the same as for a dead relative.

"It's incomprehensible to people who don't love pets," he added.

Researchers studying the human-animal bond at special centers at UC Davis, the University of Minnesota and Purdue University are only starting to understand why some people become more attached to animals than others.

Some experts speculate that the significance of animals has risen as the quality of human relationships has diminished. Some psychologists speculate that animals fill the sometimes pathological needs of lonely, isolated or incomplete people.

But the typical pet lives with a traditional family of parents and children, said Geraldine Gage, director of the Center for the Study of Human Animal Relationships and Environments at the University of Minnesota. "Human needs may be more complex and varied than we really thoroughly and totally understand. Maybe the family system was never intended to meet every need. Maybe people want a variety of emotional attachments--human and non-human," Gage said.

But Lilli Friedland, a clinical psychologist in Century City, said she would start worrying when people look to animals for love they can't find from human beings.

Sometimes love triangles appear with people and pets. Friedland said she hears girlfriends and wives saying to their partners, "I wish you treated me as well as your dogs, horses or birds." She said she also hears: " 'I love my dog better than my wife or girlfriend. My dog always comes through for me.' Those are not unusual comments."

On the other hand, one Los Angeles couple lets their two Dobermans share their double bed. A Malibu couple went even further, sharing the foot of their bed with a deer. The deer had been abandoned by its mother, and after the couple nursed it back to health it stayed for 20 years, Roberts said.

Whether pets need to be rescued during disasters often depends on whether they are confined, officials said. Even then, cats may scamper off to safety through an exploded window, but they are harder to find later than dogs. Dogs, on the other hand, are extremely loyal and territorial, Ballenger said. One dog was found after the fire still waiting behind a chain-link door, even though his owners' house and the surrounding fence had burned down.

Gibbins' cat found a corner of the basement to wait out the fire and "got very lucky," said Dr. Howard Baker at the Agoura Animal Clinic, which houses the now-famous pet. "Any others if left in those homes would have perished."

Elsa's pads were burned off all four paws, he said, but they will regrow and the cat should be healed in few weeks.

Meanwhile, at least 1,000 people have called from as far away as England and Spain to inquire about adopting Elsa, said County Animal Control Officer Ken Miller, based in Agoura Hills.

Gibbins' mother may also take Elsa, said Madeline Bernstein, regional vice president of theASPCA. But, she added: "You can imagine the mixed feelings she would have about that cat."

Session One
1. Would you risk your life to save your pets? Would you encourage people, including your son or daughter, to do so? What do you think of those people who do so? Are they heroic, loving, or simply stupid?
2. Are you an animal lover? Why do some people love animals while some don't? Is it nature or nurture?
3. If you have a pet animal and it is dying, how much money would you spend to save its life?

Session Two
1. Do you support fishing or hunting as a sport? How about traditional hunting for aboriginals?
2. Not long ago, a guy in Taiwan put a cat in a microwave oven and burned it alive. What punishment does this guy deserve? What if a fish was microwaved alive, is it still a crime? Why are some animals get more attention from people and some are not?
3. Are animal lovers better than non-animal lovers in any way? Do you prefer to have an animal lover as your bf or gf? Why or why not?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 10/27 (Sat.)Risking your life to save your pet? (Host: R

文章 Iris Wu »

No wonder it's Rock's favorite topic! The title may sound straightforward, but there are quite a lot to talk about.

Some people in Taiwan criticize dog owners for treating their pets better than treating their parents. I am not an animal right advocate, but I don't really feel it is a fair statement. After all, in human world, it's so hard to please everyone, no matter how hard you try, there is always someone dissatisfied by your action, but only your little pet, they are always "listening" and stand by you. It's not difficult to be attached to them deeply.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 10/27 (Sat.)Risking your life to save your pet? (Host: R

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(19): Catherine, Christine Hsiu, David Jr., Douglas, Holly, Iris Wu, Jason Yuan, Kat, Ken, Kooper, Luis, Lydia, Rachel (newcomer), Sherry Liao (host), Steve Cheng, Tashi, Timothy, Tom Lee, Yivy (newcomer)
回覆文章