11/17 (Sat) The Eternity of Life (Host: Felicidad)

回覆文章
Felicidad
Vice President
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週五 7月 20, 2018 3:42 pm

11/17 (Sat) The Eternity of Life (Host: Felicidad)

文章 Felicidad »

Hello, everyone. I’m Felicidad. I will be the host on the 17th of November. The topic of this weekend is: “cloning” and “organ donation.” Cloning refers to the process of creating copies of cells or DNA fragments, or clones of organisms. Technology allows us to modify a gene / DNA, and artificially produce a plant, an animal, and now a human being, and to transplant organs. However, when it comes to humans, there are ethical and moral concerns regarding cloning and organ donation. What are some of the the ethical and moral considerations when we think about these issues?

Firstly of all, I would like to bring your attention to the novel “Never Let Me Go” written by the Nobel Prize Winning British author Kazuo Lshiguro.

Summary of the Novel “Never Let Me Go”:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Let_Me_Go_(novel)

To learn more about CLONING:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYp5KU73RW0
- https://www.ted.com/talks/paul_root_wol ... uage=zh-tw

To learn more about DNA editing:
- How CRISPR lets us edit our DNA. https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_doud ... _it_wisely

Section 1:
In what circumstances do you think that cloning should be allowed?

Would you like to see tighter controls placed on the research? For example, do you agree that scientists should do animal cloning in laboratories to test diseases?
Is it ethical to “evolve” the human body artificially ? To what extent do you agree that DNA editing should be legalized - to prolong the life of human being? To make human beings smarter ? Or to prevent the certain diseases?

Section 2: Organ Donation

To learn more about organ donation: Giving the Gift of Life through Organ Donation: Chris Barry at TEDxFlourCity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UigBNjBLByc

1. Have you ever heard about organ donation? What is it?

2. Will you register to be an organ donor? Why?
Are there any religious or moral reasons for you to make this decision?

3. Imagine - What will the world look like in the next century?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元
最後由 Felicidad 於 週六 11月 17, 2018 2:19 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 11/17 (Sat) The Eternity of Life (Host: Felicidad)

文章 Kooper »

I learnt from my personal experiences that we Homo sapiens are quite willing to embrace new technology, as long as it promises better convenience and comfort. Possibly this is driven by our lazy nature.

Whether humans have the wisdom to harness the power of a new technology is usually not well considered before the adoption. Reasons are that it is a long shot to foresee the actual long-term impact of the new tech, be it adverse or favorable, without experiencing it in person.

As such, to me the question is not about whether and to what degree human cloning should be legalized. It will take place on a massive scale anyway. It’s just a matter of time.

The question is also not about whether cloning is ethical, unnatural or whether humans are crossing the line playing the God if we continue. We are historically notorious for creating imagined theories that rationalize our exploitative behaviors and that help us get rid of feelings of guilt. At the cusp of agricultural and hunting/gathering era, our ancestors denigrated animals as mindless and soulless objects so they could start domesticating and butchering livestock on a regular basis. History might repeat itself in the case of cloned whatchamacallit. In that sense, the novel Never Let Me Go is an accurate prophecy of human future.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Kooper 寫:.... In that sense, the novel Never Let Me Go is an accurate prophecy of human future.
Kooper, I really love your comments. Dr. Harari's messages are quite powerful in his Homo Sapiens and Homo Deus. I had hard time to put my thoughts together, but you said it well.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(19): Antonio, Bernie, Debby, Felicidad (host), Gloria, Iris Wu, James Chen, Jason Yuan, Julian, Ken, Kooper, Li-yue, Lulu, Ramesh, Rock, Sally, Steve Cheng, Tashi, Way
Felicidad
Vice President
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週五 7月 20, 2018 3:42 pm

文章 Felicidad »

回覆文章