12/29(Sat)Taiwan: a sinking ship? Its apology culture (Ken)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

12/29(Sat)Taiwan: a sinking ship? Its apology culture (Ken)

文章 Kooper »

Session1: Is Taiwan a sinking ship?

Questions for Discussion:
1. In your memory, how good was Taiwan in its prime?
2. When was the turning point that Taiwan began to lose its competitiveness?
3. Is Taiwan a sinking ship? Has it sunk to the bottom?
4. What are Taiwanese people most proud of?
5. If you were the president, what would you do to save the county?

Session2: Taiwan’s extreme apology culture

Article: http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018103 ... pologising

Questions for Discussion:
1. Why are Taiwanese so apologetic?
2. What does “buhaoyisi” really mean? Are there any synonyms in English?
3. How do you explain its meaning to people from different culture?
4. What are the other basic characteristics of Taiwanese?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 16:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 18:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先看過影片或閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 12/29(Sat)Taiwan: a sinking ship? Its apology culture (K

文章 Luis Ko »

right, Taiwan is sinking. the cause is probably shared by the whole capitalist democracy world. as to Taiwan’s extreme apology culture, i don't see any difference between "excuse me" and 不好意思. does excuse me really mean sorry when people say it? do people really feel 不好意思 when using the expression? what is the difference, if there's any? i'd suggest reading further between the lines when hearing such expressions, so that you would really understand them. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Watching the video clip made me walk down memory lane. The memory was bitter-sweet: Taiwan was growing fast since my childhood, and I took it for granted that life standards improved year after year. The economy started to really prosper by means of processing trade in the 70s. The following rise of IT industry in Taiwan carried on the growth momentum for another two decades. Back then, we expected good things came to an end only when hell froze over. Now we’ve learnt the hard way that it was just a fantasy.

I still remember a very ambitious policy propelled by then administration in the 90s, called Asia-Pacific Regional Operations Center. Its goal was to develop Taiwan into a regional center for manufacturing, seaborne and air cargo transshipping, financial, telecommunications and media activities. Guess that was the early sign of Taiwan’s later stagnation. As the saying goes, ‘When everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.” A policy as unfocused as this was a non-starter, doomed to failure.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(24): Antonio, Blithe, Christine Hsiu, Gloria, Jacy, Johnie, Julian, Ken (host), Kooper, Leon, Light, Luis, Morris, Rock, Rosie, Sally, Show (newcomer), Steve, Timothy, Tin, Tom, Vincent, Winston, Yaya
李昰翰
YOYO member
文章: 49
註冊時間: 週一 12月 17, 2018 8:37 pm

文章 李昰翰 »

What the workshop organized is truly interesting and enjoyable for me. The topic of "buhaoyisu" is in depth of exploring on cultural behavior for Taiwanese, and not easy to flare up hot talks on it. When I listened to so many fellows shared various opinions which formed a great brain-storming together, and it inspired me to get an idea to depict a drawing for the collective conception altogether. It’s truly an honor to share the final gathering of the YOYO activity this year, and a new year is coming to all of us for which I wished we’ll create more great ideas together in 2019. Happy new year and a fruitful consequence on language learning in Pig year all together. Cheers! Winston Lee
回覆文章