回覆文章
Timmy
Officer
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週三 1月 09, 2019 6:42 pm

1/12 (Sat.) Online Shopping & Random Topics

文章 Timmy »

Dear friends,

More and more people are purchasing things online since shopping online is an awesome experience; no retail clerk will ever bother you, price is much cheaper, and most importantly you can return anything you do not like and get a refund. But do you ever wonder where the goods you returned go? Maybe the following video will answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_p8qwDHtfA

https://www.ted.com/talks/aparna_mehta_ ... uage=zh-tw

Questions for Discussion

Session 1

1. Do you like buying things online? Why or why not?
2. Do you ever consider selling things online? Why or why not?
3. What kind of products cannot be sold online? Milk?
4. Have you ever returned any products and got your money back? Did you feel guilty about your behavior?
5. In the video, Ms. Mehta suggests retailers should sell returned products to the next buyer instead of throwing them away. Do you agree? What are the pros and cons of selling returned items as new?

Session 2

Life is full of surprises and serendipity, so is conversation!

For the first time in history, we will not tell you what questions we will ask at least for now. Instead, I built a web application that will deliver conversation topics to you phone in real time fashion. So please bring your smartphone to the meeting. Oh, pen and paper are also very important if you want to explain your idea fully.

A sample question is as bellow.

Do you prefer to use e-mails to communicate with your friends and family members or do you prefer to use the telephone?

Cheers,
Tim

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & free talk / ordering drinks / getting newcomer’s information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening remarks / newcomer’s self-introduction / grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:20pm Activities (60 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / instruction / break
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:20pm Activities (50 mins)
6:20~ 6:30pm Concluding remarks / announcements (10 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 3:50 pm 到 ~ 約 6:40 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 1/12 (Sat.) Online Shopping & Random Topics

文章 Kooper »

Wow, session two is going to be exciting. The adoption of new technology is likely to bring us brand new experiences of discussion. :mrgreen:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Free return cleared customers’ hesitation toward on-line shopping and stimulated its fast growth. That holds particularly true for clothes sold on the Internet. After all, without seeing its colors in person, feeling the textiles, and trying a clothes on to see if it fits, it’s a long shot to make a satisfying choice only by means of web browsing and imagination.

On the surface, free return seems harmless to on-line shoppers - it is free of charge anyway, isn’t it? It also resembles the way we try various dress and put them back on the shelf at a bricks-and-mortar shop. That was also what I believed until I watched this TED Talk. It’s sad to learn that so many of the free return clothes ended up in the landfill. We unwittingly enjoy the free-return service at the expense of the earth.

I feel that people tend to consume goods or services extravagantly if they are offered at no extra cost. To mitigate this environmental disaster, my two cents is to charge returns at a low rate, say, 1% of the product prices. It’s not costly so on-line shoppers won’t be scared away, but it may be enough and effective to limit the degree of extravagance.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

I feel lucky to finally read today's material. It's quite intriguing for a laid-back Saturday morning.
For a period of time, I unavoidably had to do online shopping and online returns for my daughter. And sometimes I also have the same shopping behavior for myself as the speaker did. So, this is definitely my topic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(20): Antonio, Apple, David Jr., Gloria, Jacy, Julian, Kat, Ken, Kooper, Leon, Sally, Stephen Chiu, Steve Cheng, Tashi, Tim (host), Tina Fang, Tom Lee, Way, Wu, Yaya
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Words from the video clip:

we were in a meeting with one of my largest customers, discussing how to streamline costs

Retailers are scrambling to recover their losses

Artificial intelligence systems could then sort these clothes by condition -- mint condition or slightly used
回覆文章